Do you let other drummers play on your kit?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:11 am

Shalaq wrote:Hey, you guitarists don't let other guitarists play their guitars in a show do they ? :]

Exactly! That's why I don't understand why my bandmates have a problem with me not willing to support my kit as a backline for a gig... :roll:
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
CaseyofPropertyOf
new
new

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:31 am

I personally don't mind when somebody plays my kit... I have'nt generally had to do that but at a few shows, and they have been very respectful of my kit. [/quote]
Tama Rockstar 4 piece kit
Zildjian A Custom cymbals
dw 5000 Double bass pedals
Tama Hardware
Remo Emperial tom heads
Evans HD dry snare head
Aquarian Super Kick I Bass Head (resonant and batter)
Mad_cow
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:42 am

My kit stays at home, at least for now hehe
And, I hate it when other drummers adjust my double pedal, but most of the rest is ok, because I am always organizing the kit differently.

stump

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:02 am

Friends who know how to play a kit, our kids, respected and known musicians ...Yes. Joe off the street who walks in to an open mic night gig...HELL no. The way that I see it, I spent ALOT of money to have an awsome kit. I take care of my kit and respect it. If I were to let someone get behind it and it was abused...be ready to throw some knuckles. Peace.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:06 am

Rob Crisp wrote:
It's not that all drummers are reckless, but I have played gigs with drummers who let toms rub on snare and bass drums and those who just blatently don't respect your kit.

If they want to scratch their kit up, fair enough, it's their money!

That happened to me a few years ago when I supplied my kit for a festival I was playing. A mount loosened and one of my rack toms dropped down when another drummer was using the kit, and the rim of the snare scratched the shit out of its finish. I was heartbroken. I didn't find out about it until after, and of course I had no idea who had done it and didn't tighten the mount again.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
FunkyDrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:55 am

sure, I just warn them that if they brake something I'm gonna hunt them down ;)
be funky!
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:23 pm

i only let my best friend behind my drum kit, since he can drum and he respects my kit and doesnt move things around, he knows how to use it the right way so i dont mind him using it.
i dont mind some of my mates using it, as long as i watch them, and as long as they dont go crazy just ATTACKING everything on the kit
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
Waylon
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:40 pm

Well if that had happened to me I'd be "once bit twice shy" about letting others play my kit too. Fortunately all the drummers on my kit only broke sticks and were very courteous. One even gave me a heavy duty power strip for electronics for letting him use my kit. I don't really like doing it either but I have and I probably will again. I always talk to the guy first and show him what's up w/ my kit and get an impression of whether he's cool or not. Get his biz card if he has one. Who knows he might toss a gig your way. It's harder to be disrespectful of someone's kit if you talk beforehand and let him/her know what you expect. Or.....just say no.
Later
Way
Drumn4life, Drumn4life,Drumn4life,Drumn4life,
Drumn4life, Drumn4life, Drumn4life
Tama Drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:54 pm

Most drummer I know are very respectful of each other's gear when the occasion comes up for a "shared" kit. I played a show opening for Hollywood Allstarz a few months ago and, as some of you know, they have a "duel drummer" stage with Vinnie Appice on one side and Krigger on the other. Vinnie had a DW Collectors kit brought in for him, through the backline co. and, being retentive about using my own gear, I let Krigger use one of my show rigs with his own snare, brass and sticks. They both LOVED my rig and the snow went well. Krig was VERY respectful of my kit and had no problem with the arrangement. At one point, Krigger was using a tamborine one his crashed and my wife, not realizing it wasn't MY brass nearly blew a gasket! But those are the kind of drummers you can allow on your rig. A good rig ain't cheap and you'll ALWAYS have the occasional jackass who wants to play "thundergod" at someones else's expense. That's a great rule of thumb.. "you break it, you bought it... as well as a solid boot to the head." ...not that I'm bitter. LOL!
Waylon
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:02 pm

Then there is always the benefit of getting to hear just what your kit sounds like out front. It also sounds like a matter of knowing how to conduct yourself as a professional, which to me means having confidence and humility with respect for your fellow performers. After all it's about the music....right?
Later
Scott (Waylon)
Drumn4life, Drumn4life,Drumn4life,Drumn4life,
Drumn4life, Drumn4life, Drumn4life
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:29 pm

The only person who ever gets behind my kit is my friend Damion, he is a drummer too(way better than me) and he is left handed like me too.

As a matter of fact he is the only other left handed drummer I know that plays left handed as well. We're two of a kind!!

Stupid southpaws... :lol:
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
elchris2k6
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:13 pm

well, my kit really isnt anything special, but its my baby, i let my young cousin play it (he's 5 and wants to learn), but only when he's in my lap , also my band mate brandon and I switch off bass and drums and will jam like that even tho neither of us are talented when it comes to that, i dont let other people touch it unless its a more experienced drummer, who wants to teach, not show off or bitch about how it sounds, something i hate, basically respect the little amount of talent i have and be willing to teach/help me, and ill let you play my set :-)
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:43 pm

Unless this is your first day as a drummer,or your band is just starting out, or you haven't played many shows except your uncle Joe Bob's wedding reception, there will be times when other people use your kit and you don't have a choice. Club owners don't want a 45 minute break in the action, and rightfully so. My band plays shows every weekend where I use someone elses or someone else uses mine. For those of you who are new to the concept of multiple bands at one show, the headlining band usually supplies the kit. The drummer in the opening band is expected to bring stcks, snare, and cymbals at the very least and to treat the headlining band's drums with utmost respect. Also, you usually are not supposed to adjust any stands/drums if it isn't your kit (unless it's the club or sound company's kit, which isn't already set for any specific person) That being said, don't count on always being able to play the headliner's kit. My band opened up for Reckless Kelly a few months ago, and guess what--their drummer is left handed. I had to bring my kit and set up in front of his, in a cramped little spot and tear down immediately after we finished. Also some drummers are dicks and put up a fuss about using ther kit. These are usually the guys who have not "been there done that" and they will learn soon enough as will all of you folks who haven't experienced much life as a touring musician. :roll:
yee freakin' haw
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:00 pm

But I also feel your pain Mike Ellis...It's not cool for someone to "walk through" your kit, especially after you were nice enough to let him borrow it. He would have definitely tasted my boot. As for Johnny Cat--ALWAYS tighten your mounts and make sure they are tight before a show. You have no one to blame for that but yourself. And it's kind of funny hearing the guy talk about his starclassics that have never been gigged. Unless you have no gigs or you have 2 good kits, you'll be getting with the program one of these days. Maybe you should hang a piece of thick cloth from the lugs of the rack tom closest to the snare if you're so worried about scratches on the side that no one but the drummer ever sees. Once again.... :roll:
yee freakin' haw
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:03 pm

Club owners don't want a 45 minute break in the action, and rightfully so. My band plays shows every weekend where I use someone elses or someone else uses mine. For those of you who are new to the concept of multiple bands at one show, the headlining band usually supplies the kit. The drummer in the opening band is expected to bring stcks, snare, and cymbals at the very least and to treat the headlining band's drums with utmost respect. Also, you usually are not supposed to adjust any stands/drums if it isn't your kit (unless it's the club or sound company's kit, which isn't already set for any specific person) That being said, don't count on always being able to play the headliner's kit. My band opened up for Reckless Kelly a few months ago, and guess what--their drummer is left handed. I had to bring my kit and set up in front of his, in a cramped little spot and tear down immediately after we finished. Also some drummers are dicks and put up a fuss about using ther kit. These are usually the guys who have not "been there done that" and they will learn soon enough as will all of you folks who haven't experienced much life as a touring musician. Rolling Eyes

I guess I am a dick.

I have NEVER been in a situation where I supply jack shit to another drummer unless he is nice enough to ask me.

You get to use my stuff if I let you, period.

I have never been in a fraternity and I never wanted to be in one. NO ONE uses my stuff because "that's the way it is"...BULLSHIT!!!!

I have had too much stuff of mine ripped off to just "have" to let someone else use my stuff.

By the way, I can set-up and break down my kit in less than ten minutes. If someone needs the stage that bad they can wait ten minutes...
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.