Do you let other drummers play on your kit?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

juNgle beatZ
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:03 pm

Do you allow other people to sit behind your stuff and play? I personaly hate when someone plays on my kit... I feel like they're using my toothbrush :evil:
revese eNgineeRinG
drummert2k

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:36 pm

i hate when other drummers use my kit. my one band plays a lot of bar shows with an opening band so i make sure the other drummer brings his own snare, seat, pedals, cymbals and sticks. and if i know someone else is gonna have to use my kit i wont take may "baby" to that show. i might put good heads on my practice kit or something. so so another person isnt beating my good kit. but i know where your coming from.
Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:02 pm

Drummers are brothers, and assuming that the other person is going to wreck your kit or something is a little mean. I mean, what's the worst thing they could do, wreck your heads?

I always let people play my kit. I can't stand playing other people's, I mean, the setup is all wrong, but thats a different issue.
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:21 pm

Unless it's somebody who knows what they're doing and won't adjust stuff on my kit, I wouldn't have a problem with it. If I saw another drummer with a nice kit and asked to play it for a little bit, I think it would be good "karma" if they let me. But, if it's some asshole who's gonna adjust everything on my kit to their liking, then HELL no.
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:33 pm

Yeah, mason style. That's more what I meant.
Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:32 am

My only rule when it comes to anybody playing my kit ( or borrowing cymbals ) is that if you break it, you buy it; No argument.

If they dont like it, then they are SOL.
Vetis
mikeellis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:06 am

Last time I lent my kit out on a multi band show, they all treated my kit with respect excpt one. After his set finished he 'walked through' the kit.
Proud endorser of
HIGHWOOD DRUMS, PAISTE CYMBALS, SILVERFOX STICKS, BASKEY ACCESSORIES, DUALLIST PEDALS & HARDCASE CASES.
catkel
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:48 am

I let people play on my kit if i know they wont mess it up because i know that if somebody wouldnt let me play on their kit i wouldnt like it.
top drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:55 am

I would say no unless I know who the guy or girl is and if he or she knows what they're doing
keep on drummin!
Waylon
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:46 am

I have been playing for 30 years and I almost always let other drummers play my kit. It depends on the band leader sometimes, other times use your own disgression. It's a good thing and promotes networking and camradarie among musicians. They might let you sit in later at their gig.

Drumn4life
www.scotaylor.com
Drumn4life, Drumn4life,Drumn4life,Drumn4life,
Drumn4life, Drumn4life, Drumn4life
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:20 pm

I play with single-ply heads for 90% of the time. I don't have any dents etc. I'd never let other drummer play my snare, my pedals and my cymbals(especially). Hey, you guitarists don't let other guitarists play their guitars in a show do they ? :]
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
drummert2k

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:15 pm

sometimes you're in a situation where you're band is headlining and the club wants everyone to use the same drum set, bass/guitar cabs, ect. just to help things move along timewise. i've played tons of shows where opening bands had to use my kit and if you talk to the drummers before hand 98% of the time they're really respectful. but you'll always have a few who thing the only way to play is to hit as hard as you can the whole show whether its their kit or someone elses. but most of the time other drummers are very respectful of your kit
Waylon
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:43 pm

Yes, I agree. I have played quite a few shows where my kit was THE kit and everyone was very pro about it and thanked me. It's just the way it is many times. I'd rather play my kit anyway and no one ever hurt it. You will definitely find yourself in one of these positions someday if you play a lot. If you are the one using another drummer's kit then bring your own snare, throne, pedals, sticks and cymbals if you want and maybe even a snare stand so you won't have to adjust much if anything, and you won't break his/her sticks.
Mutual respect is the key here.
Maybe I'll get to sit at your kit someday. Ha!
Later
www.scotaylor.com
Drumn4life, Drumn4life,Drumn4life,Drumn4life,
Drumn4life, Drumn4life, Drumn4life
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:05 pm

I prefer nobody plays my kit but me, but if I know that they really know what they're doing I won't mind so much. Again, you break it you replace it. But it does kinda feel like they're using your toothbrush.

Many shows I've played there was only the one kit for about 4 or 5 bands on the roster to use. The rule of thumb was always that each drummer supplied his own cymbals and snare, and I think it's a good rule. That way they can break their own snare head or cymbals rather than someone else's.

I don't mind if someone doesn't let me use their kit because I don't like people really messing with mine, so I can understand.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:15 pm

Basically, if I know you and trust you, knock yourself out. If I don't no chance! I worked bloody hard for my baby, and spent another fortune on cases.

My friend showed me his kit after he let another drummer play it and no kidding there we're chunks out of it! I have the same setup, a brand new (never been gigged) Tama Starclassic and after seeing his there's no way I'm letting 3 other drummers use it, like they want to tonight!

It's not that all drummers are reckless, but I have played gigs with drummers who let toms rub on snare and bass drums and those who just blatently don't respect your kit.

If they want to scratch their kit up, fair enough, it's their money!