Counting

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

LadyThunder
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:49 am

andybfrank wrote:I don't count. I determine the base of a phrase (like a clump of eighth notes, sixteenths, whatever) then I picture groupings of notes in my mind, with the ones I am actually playing in bold, the ones I'm not playing crossed out or in the background. So, it's kind of a feel thing, but visualizing everything. I don't associate numbers or counting with what I picture, because that is an extra step. I just picture it, and visually, I always know where I am in a phrase, etc. Does that make sense to anybody?

I was gonna say something similar to this but i didn't think anyone would understand it in this depth. I'm more of a visual person too..
Pearl Drums
Pork Pie Snare & Throne
Evans EC2 Coated, EMAD 2 & Aquarian High Energy
DW Pedals & Pearl Hardware
Zildjian A Custom & Wuhan
25" Vintage Ludwig Timpani
Vater 3a Fatbacks NT & Ahead
Steven McTowelie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:33 pm

i count out loud when i'm giving lessons because i think it's a good thing for students to get used to doing. when i'm reading music i almost have to count lol. when i'm playing with my band i almost never count unless it's a break.
xUODx
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:12 pm

you should actually practice with a metronome that has a different sound whole note. cuz then you can play off beat phrases and get a feel for where the one count is. listening to drummers like Carter Beauford, and Dennis Chambers also helps, cuz they play weird offbeat stuff alot. :)