Counting

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

FunkyDrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:01 pm

since I'm not playing complicated stuff (the most complicated groove that I will go for is in 5) hence I don't count at all :)
I just FEEL where 'one' is :)
be funky!
changlab
new
new

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:44 pm

One of the bands I'm in is in the "wrighting" phase right now so, we are all counting alot.
I'm just trying to get all of the band members to count the same way.
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:34 pm

The only time I count the beats out fully is when there's a measure that stops a beat early/late or like a half beat early/late, and those are usually cover songs.

Normally I just "sing" the guitar part (or whatever I'm playing along to at the moment) in my head and play to that.

I do count how many times we've gone through the entire riff and if it's random complicated stuff that doesn't really go along to any time signature then I have to count out the pattern of the accented hits...gets a little hairy sometimes...
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
Chad Scott
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:26 pm

when I'm working on off accenting or off beats I count the 1-2-3-or 4
so on...blah anyway for me counting the accented # helps me be more creative & helps me not lose time while going off! I count everything that isn't fluid!
just another drummer who wants to become better,learn more and play more than most..
if you can help please do!!
crazzyjoe
new
new

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:37 pm

I count the music in my head for the tempo before the song starts. I keep time with my heal but not counting out loud or in my head. the only time I count is breaks retards, and time changes that seems to work for me
stump

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:25 am

If I count I do it in my head. The band that I play with has some songs that are all over the place and if I didn't count then I would tend to find myself either ahead or behind the rest of the guys by just the slightest bit.
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:58 am

Counting is merely a template to illustrate the beats in a phrase.

If you re measuring something in a precise fashion, you would use a ruler, no? Getting something to 1/8, 1/16th inch accuracy needs a guide. It's really hard to freehand a line that is 1 3/8 inches long. (In time signature that would be 11/8: 8/8 + 3/8=11/8)

So learning to count is a great idea. It's a challenge to do it at first but like anything, gets easier as you practice it.
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:25 am

Qbs wrote:Singing is a very good method - it helps me to memorize my patterns :)

I sing a lot of backup in my band, so I don't count but I think it serves the same purpose, maybe even helps me to internalize the groove more.
yee freakin' haw
mortem
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:32 pm

I rarely count.. I try to feel the groove instead. I only count when playing mixed up odd-time patterns ( ie. 5/8 6/8 5/8 6/8 5/8 3/8 )
"Master your instrument, master the music... then forget all that shit and just play."
-Charlie Parker

www.myspace.com/elfungo
www.last.fm/user/m0rtem
http://www.youtube.com/m0rtem
vahnn
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:27 am

i guess after reading all these posts, it may seem backwards, but:

i only tend to count when i'm playings tings in 4/4.

different time signatures, i tend to learn what my guitars are playing, and i play that in my head as i play (but not to the point where it overrides what im actualy hearing the guitarists play, haaha)

so i dunno. most odd time signatures i tend to just learn by feel and by what the guitars play, i learn that melody in my head, and play a beat that it would fit to.

4/4 i have to count, or i tend to get lost in the repetitiveness. depending on the song.
drum man
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:08 pm

I mouth count. Meaning I don't realy say anything but I mouth what I'm counting. That is if I count at all.
FelterSkelter
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:30 pm

I don't know how to count.
killdrum1983
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:04 pm

Qbs wrote:Singing is a very good method - it helps me to memorize my patterns :)

yeah same here this is what I do. Singing and/or feeling the groove is better i think; i never count (instead in the beginning when i hit the sticks)
LadyThunder
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:18 am

I always count... After playing for so many years I just do it subconciously i guess. Meaning I don't really think about it i just kinda naturally count... But more than anything I've got to feel the groove. Counting is important cause it lets you know where you're at, but i think feeling the groove is equally important. If we don't feel the groove i think we're selling ourselves short... Groove is the key to a drummer's soul!
Pearl Drums
Pork Pie Snare & Throne
Evans EC2 Coated, EMAD 2 & Aquarian High Energy
DW Pedals & Pearl Hardware
Zildjian A Custom & Wuhan
25" Vintage Ludwig Timpani
Vater 3a Fatbacks NT & Ahead
andybfrank
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:45 am

I don't count. I determine the base of a phrase (like a clump of eighth notes, sixteenths, whatever) then I picture groupings of notes in my mind, with the ones I am actually playing in bold, the ones I'm not playing crossed out or in the background. So, it's kind of a feel thing, but visualizing everything. I don't associate numbers or counting with what I picture, because that is an extra step. I just picture it, and visually, I always know where I am in a phrase, etc. Does that make sense to anybody?