Do you play any other instruments?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:12 am

i learnt to play guitar in school when i was 10, i played tht for about 2 years or so, i learnt guitar as my first instrument, i'm not very good now tho lol
i've also been learning the piano for the last year, tht helps alot with melodies i listen too, in other instruments.
i also play a little harmonica and i'm not much of a singer but i can harmonise pretty well.
Obviously my main instrument is drums, i've been playing them for about 2 years or so now, and i love them xD
i think playing other instruments is good for you :D especially when your visiting a friends house for example and they have a guitar or keyboard and no drums, at least u wont be board :D

~Scott~
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
FunkyDrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:59 am

I play only drums.
oh, I can do paradidles on the keyboard ;) ;) ;)
be funky!
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:39 pm

I'm trying to teach myself guitar. Not to help my drumming (if it does, awesome), but to do more songwriting.
I come up with lots of sick guitar riffs but I have no way of communicating them to anyone else.
And if I think of a melody or key change or spiffy transition after the songs are "finished", I need a way to show people what I'm thinking.
And I'd like to have my own side project where it's all me playing everything. I work really good with myself and the violent fights caused by differing directions are usually contained in my head so nobody else gets hurt.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
wannabe_bluemandrummer
new
new

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:21 pm

I can play Flute, Piccolo, Tenor sax, piano and little guitar. I started out with the flute in the 4th grade moved to piccolo two years later. Then one year after learng the piccolo I really wanted to learn how to play drums. I wanted to learn how to play drums beofre flute but it didn't happen that way. A year after learning the drums I moved on to the sax for jazz band beucse they didn't need flute on every song. And im self tought piano and guitar.
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:52 pm

I play the piano. I write my own songs, and find it a bit difficult to that on the drums. :wink:

I also play mallet percussion, such as xylophone, glockenspiel, marimba, vibraphone, tubular bells, timpanies, etc.

I stayed away from the guitar. I know a few chords, but I am very left-handed. I play the drums "right-handed" whitch works fine, but I never really got hold of the guitar thing.
ImageImageImage
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:56 pm

I stayed away from the guitar. I know a few chords, but I am very left-handed. I play the drums "right-handed" whitch works fine, but I never really got hold of the guitar thing.

Your crazy I tell ya, crazy!!! Your left handed like me but you play righty???

I play every other instrument right handed, naturally except the drums. You put me behind a right handed kit and I might as well be a newbie.
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:24 pm

bass and guitar + some keyboard, got me into home recording, playing all the instruments myself. I think playing other instruments, especially rhythm-oriented ones, can really expand your musical vocabulary. That's got to help your drumming!
SpiritofRush
new
new

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:19 pm

I play bass, a little guitar, and Piano
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:02 pm

i play sax as well been playing it for years and i love it.
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:22 am

sharkscott wrote:

Your crazy I tell ya, crazy!!! Your left handed like me but you play righty???

I play every other instrument right handed, naturally except the drums. You put me behind a right handed kit and I might as well be a newbie.

Awrighty, I play right, alright?! :D

Actually, I started when I was about 8 years old (some 33 years ago), and the "right" way to play drums, was of course...?
Right, right? :wink:

Some drum teacher told me a couple of years later that I should turn my kit around, but alas; The damage was allready done...! :lol:

No seriously, I think it may give me a more unique approach, as a lot of things are oposite between the kit and the brain.( :? )

I find that interesting, and challenging.
But I can't report any major problems that differs me from a "regular" right-handed drummer.

And; I will certainly not turn it around now! :shock:

About the left handed kits, I can play some easy patterns on them, but it really feels terribly wrong for me, at least after so many years playing "right-handed". :wink:
ImageImageImage
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:07 am

I play drums and percussion only. I've owned guitars and stuff, but I just never picked them up. The only stringed instrument I play is a berimbau. I also play kalimba.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
juNgle beatZ
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:29 pm

just drums...
revese eNgineeRinG
Crusher
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:54 pm

Guitar, Bass
Tama Drums - Sabian Cymbals - Vater Sticks - Evans Heads
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:57 pm

I started out on guitar and i've been playing for about 8 years. I started playing bass too a few years back, it was pretty easy to pick up since i already played guitar. I've messed around with keyboards before but never really invested time in to learning to play piano. Oh, and in 6th/7th grade I played the bassoon in the school band. Man, I was rockin that bassoon like a TRUE gangsta.
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
Stoned Gerbil
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:09 am

I've been playing guitar longer than drums and am competant with both instruments although i always class myself as more of a drummer as that is my instrument of choice :D I also play bass and a little keys! There are pro's and con's to playing more than one instrument. The pro's are that you can be in the same mind set as the other musicians you are playing with and this really aids writing and improvising skills but on the other hand if you aspire to be good at all the instruments you play then it is hard to find the time for all of them when you may have a day job as well! I play gigs as a guitarist as well as a drummer and play lead guitar as well so i have to be good at both instruments which ivolves splitting practice time between both! I would love to earn enough money from gigging to stop working and spend all my time playing music!
Yamaha Drums/Hardware
Remo Heads
Zildjian Cymbals
Vic Firth Sticks
Mapex Pedals/Snare