Do you play any other instruments?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:57 pm

Do you play any other instruments or just drums? Does it help your drumming if you're playing another instrument?
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
top drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:59 pm

I play a little bit keyboards and it definitaly helps my drumming - I am able to think more about the whole song not just my part
keep on drummin!
miranda
new
new

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:14 am

i started playing piano before drums, and STILL play it - been about 7 years now, and i also play a bit of guitar. it helps ALOT with sight reading and things for dums
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:07 am

seems I need to learn to play another instrument :)
catkel
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:46 am

I play a little bit of guitar and piano, after i started to learn the drums, i realised how much knowing about other different instruments helps with your own playing and its good to be able to play more than one instrument
doggett68
new
new

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:38 am

besides drums i play piano, guitar, bass, violen slightly. it really helps when i'm jamming with my buddies, i can really predict where the song is going and just instinctively know the right transitions.
drumstogo
new
new

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:33 am

i also play guitar, bass, piano, i arrange, produce, and engineer.
i started on guitar so bass was easy. piano from an early age as well. having started on these instruments has helped my musical outlook as a drummer greatly. in the end though, if you feel and understand the beat you don't have to play any other instruments. although, piano is a great tool to have in your arsenal!
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:51 am

I can play little guitar- I mean, I know how it works, so I can tell my guitarist to make the chord one octave higher or lower etc. I'd like to learn how to play bass, but all my money& time goes to drums.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Demented Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:24 am

I own a keyboard and guitar...

would love to learn them! LOL

I want to be able to put some shit down cuz i`ve got 1000`s of melodies stuck in my head that don`t sound like much when i play them on my kit.

I`ve started to give my lead guitarist some drum lessons. It`s the best idea ever! He now appreciates the job I do behind my wall of sound. He had no idea how "hard" it was. He says everything I play, I make it look super easy, almost like I`m bored playing. He now says he realizes I`m anything but. He doesn`t know how I`m able to use all 4 limbs simualtaneously! I luv it!

He`s gonna teach me how to use my keyboards ang guitar!

Sorry if I went too far off topic. It just seemed relavent!
Tama GRANSTAR in Nile Blue
PAISTE cymbals
9 pieces of percussion
8-sided Pearl ICON rack
Gilbraltar throne
AHEAD sticks
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:43 am

Demented Drummer wrote:I want to be able to put some shit down cuz i`ve got 1000`s of melodies stuck in my head that don`t sound like much when i play them on my kit.

The feeling is mutual :D
I have many bass patterns etc in my head when I'm rehearsing with my band but since I don't know all the sounds,chords etc I just don't know how to convey my ideas to the rest of the band... I feel like mute :roll:
So I've decided to buy me a midi controler and learn all about that stuff through playing/composing in Reason 3.0 :)
Greg
DML founder
DML founder

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:50 am

I can play piano, xylophone, vibraphone, marimba
TheYann
new
new

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:01 am

Woaw you guys are pretty all around musicians. I'm planning on learning the guitar ... as I had 2 years of piano lessons which kinda scarred me to death :p
So piano not being for me, I figured that learning to play the guitar would help me understand better what a guitar player has to go through during a song and thus maybe interact with him/her better !

But I'm not there yet ;)
.:: TheYann ::.
stump

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:25 am

Actually, I started playing the trumpet in the 3rd grade. This continued for a short 3 year period and my interests started turning towards percussion. After playing on a drum kit for the 1st time I was hooked. Recently though I have started playing bass guitar as well. I play the skins as primary but since our bass player is like my left wheel i figured that it would not hurt to learn how to play bass as well. It really opened my eyes and helps the tempos and rythyms flow easier. Peace.
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:29 am

I have played Bass Guitar off and on for about 15 years. I am good enough to be in a band if I wanted but I love the drums too much.

I can play Alto Sax but I would need some practice before attempting to play live with it.

I know much more guitar in my head than I can play with my hands, thats why I play Bass instead, I have big fingers and I just cannot keep them from hitting more than one string.

I can sing fairly well too. Its just doing while i am playing at the same time that is the challange right now. :lol:
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:32 am

I play guitar, bass and keys. I started on drums and it's my first love. I am very happy to say that since learning the guitar, my tuning on the drums has improved immensely, and my playing is much more musical. Also, I would not have picked up on guitar nearly as quickly as I did if not for the fact that I was already a drummer and had rhythm down. Two handed finger tapping on a guitar?? Piece of cake. It's just DRUMMING different patterns on the fret board. If you have a musical ear you can learn where to move it around.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads