Is less really more?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

juNgle beatZ
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:35 am

Many musicians, not only drummers will tell you that less is more when it comes to playing - that often you should play less, more simpler stuff in order to let the music breath etc. What's your opinion on this subject?

I'm asking because recently I argued about this with a bass player who insisted that we should include a 8th note shift in a simple d'n'b style piece and we couldn't come to a conclusion because for him the song sound better with the shift and for me without.
revese eNgineeRinG
FunkyDrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:46 am

less is more? what about drummers like Portnoy or Bozzio :)
be funky!
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:33 am

The way I feel about this was summed up perfectly by Neil Peart.

K.I.S.S:Keep it simple, stupid, which leads to L.O.V.E: leave out virtually everything.

Why not just make M.U.S.I.C: make up something interesting and complimentary?

In other words, less is and always is LESS. Less costs more. If you're gonna play something simplistic, it had better be great.

But likewise, don't overplay something if it really doesn't fit. Serve the song. The song doesn't serve us.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:10 pm

Less i more...... I'd say if the music demands playing simple, play simple. If it demands playing a lot, play a lot.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:30 pm

right... the problem is that if "serving the music" is subcjective how do you know what you're playing is right? :)
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
juNgle beatZ
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:34 pm

EXACTLY!!
revese eNgineeRinG
FunkyDrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:45 pm

ok, and what do you think about less is more in terms of the drumset (the amount of stuff you have to play on)? :)
be funky!
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:33 am

Qbs wrote:right... the problem is that if "serving the music" is subcjective how do you know what you're playing is right? :)

Yes, but there's where a good drummer can be recognised. A good drummer will play enough that it sound good.
Also I'd say people say less is more when they want really to say " play simple, you won't make so many mistakes and if you make one, there won't be any problems to catch up with the band ;) "
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:29 am

I really never understood the concept of "Less is more" until I started really sitting down with a song and going over every possible thing I could do with it.

For example: My band has a song where the intro is slower, almost to the point that if it were any slower there would be no drum parts that would work without really pulling the tempo down. For this I played a very straight farward AC/DC style beat ( im horrible for remembering names for beats and such ). I do this same simple routine with very few fills until we get to the sudden " WAKE THE FUCK UP, WE'RE A METAL BAND!!!!!!!! " part where everything switches into a very death metal like melody (haha).

So in essence, here is my summary: " less is more " = Dont play too much to the point that you're stepping on your bandmates' feet, but dont underplay to the point that you've turned into a simple time-keeper.
Vetis
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:09 am

Shalaq wrote:
Qbs wrote:right... the problem is that if "serving the music" is subcjective how do you know what you're playing is right? :)

Yes, but there's where a good drummer can be recognised. A good drummer will play enough that it sound good.

but don't you feel that it's too subjective to say that some drummer played too much or not enough?
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
catkel
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:43 am

I think less in more because i see drummers that play things to show off which arent neccesary and it sort of drags the music down and makes the other players look a bit daft.
top drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:57 am

I'd say go for it whenever you feel like it
keep on drummin!
clatterdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:29 am

It all depends on the song. Sometimes a whole dumptruck of notes are called for, and other times just a hand full.
razor_chris
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:47 am

Thats something really relative.....it really depends what u wanna do.......whatever u end up playing, if u hear what the song says to play, ul eventually get something that will sound good...as long as u dont play just because its hard.

you need to pay attention to all the members to what they are doing n what is the song telling u to play.... but your the drummer you should do whatever you feel its best for the songs since its your song.....but one thing ive always though is that the The hardest things to do are always found in the simplest things....thats when you see the challenge...you may be very technical or fast but when its time to just lay something really simple and make it sound great and beautifull, if ur able to do this everything will become much more easier.
iminaband
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:03 pm

Johnny Cat wrote:The way I feel about this was summed up perfectly by Neil Peart.

K.I.S.S:Keep it simple, stupid, which leads to L.O.V.E: leave out virtually everything.

Why not just make M.U.S.I.C: make up something interesting and complimentary?

In other words, less is and always is LESS. Less costs more. If you're gonna play something simplistic, it had better be great.

But likewise, don't overplay something if it really doesn't fit. Serve the song. The song doesn't serve us.
I was gunna sight the same reference....

Less is not more, but you don't need to be crazy all the time. But you can do a lot if you learn dynamics and how to incoperate different velocities to get more with out sounding cluddered. I believe thats what LESS IS MORE came from... CLUDDEDERDNESS..

Well there it is... the answer to the world :)

Danny Cayocca
It's not how good you are, just how good your equipment is :) Um... NOT