Not so common percussion accesories...

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

kenny.drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:30 am

My guitar player wants me to start incorporating some strange innovative percussive stuff in our music. Basically, he doesn't know what he wants, and I can't afford that!

So reading around modern drummer, I found out that Gene Hoglan uses a boat propeller in his set! this got me wondering, what strange things like that have you used in your set? Any suggestions? Something I could incorporate without having to spend too much $?

kenny
iluvmymapex07
new
new

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:35 am

my uncle when i was younger used to tell me to use anything i could around the house. so i did and i found and old saw blade maybe 10'' and i sounds pretty good you should try that.
Taylor
Daneman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:42 am

Sounds funny, but I'll use a bottle of Jack Daniels, about a third of the way filled with liquid. Hit it with the backside of a spoon in different areas to create different pitches (the neck creates a different pitch than the bottom, etc).

You can control the resonance of the bottle by how tightly or loosely your grip is- I usually hold it with two fingers at the neck, but you can choke the notes out by holding it tighter if you like. Also, if you shift the bottle while striking it, the movement of the liquid inside creates some crazy pitchbends.
UKHC
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:49 am

Daneman wrote:Sounds funny, but I'll use a bottle of Jack Daniels, about a third of the way filled with liquid. Hit it with the backside of a spoon in different areas to create different pitches (the neck creates a different pitch than the bottom, etc).

You can control the resonance of the bottle by how tightly or loosely your grip is- I usually hold it with two fingers at the neck, but you can choke the notes out by holding it tighter if you like. Also, if you shift the bottle while striking it, the movement of the liquid inside creates some crazy pitchbends.

And iff it smashes theres gonne be lots and lots of glass :P

A metal band from my area used a trash can lid. It sounded awfull tho and wasnt used right

But i dont use anything like that. quite interesting what people use thoe!
Destroy the Opposition
Jack Ruby
new
new

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:50 am

There is a local band out of dallas that uses a PVC pipe, and a metal pipe instead of a ride. There music calls for it so it works for them, but it would be a cool addition to use in any scenario.
There's no such thing as a normal life.
There's just life, and you live it.
Pork Sword
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:28 am

iluvmymapex07 wrote:my uncle when i was younger used to tell me to use anything i could around the house. so i did and i found and old saw blade maybe 10'' and i sounds pretty good you should try that.

Yep, i've messed with them as well...You can get circular saw blades pretty cheap...or hell find a carpenter & ask for his dull ones...he'll give them to you pretty cheap..however do be careful, they can wreck drumsticks pretty quickly. They have a cool "splashy/china" sound.
"as your attorney, I advise you to drive at top speed & it'll be a goddamn miracle if we can get there before you turn into a wild animal!!....30 minutes, it was going to be very close."
kenny.drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:30 am

How can I mount it?
Pork Sword
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:38 am

they have a hole in the middle just like a cymbal actually...the circular saw blades do at least, due to the way the hook onto the actual saw...it's a similar diameter to most cymbal stand tops...so it would mount just like a splash.
"as your attorney, I advise you to drive at top speed & it'll be a goddamn miracle if we can get there before you turn into a wild animal!!....30 minutes, it was going to be very close."
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:41 am

Stuff I've seen used:
steel trash can & lid (saw those at Lowe's) or any other metal pan, bucket, pail...

old brake drums (cheap at junk yards, I found two in a parking lot once, I also had some laying around from brake upgrades on my cars. just ask around, you can get them free) you could probably use disc brakes too and get warped ones for free probably.

old 50 gallon oil drums. it'll be a little money, make the band chip in.

car wheels. steel or aluminum, doesn't matter. different sizes give different sounds so grab a couple(same with brake drums)

yank a fender, hood or door off a car at a junk yard (or off a car that's been abandonded, shhhh)

Basically anything will work. Cars are a great place to start. If I were you I'd carry around a pair of drum sticks and beat on everything you see until you find some sounds you think you can use.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
necrovore
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:12 pm

I have a alloy cast goat-skull that I have on my kit, sounds somewhat like a hammer on anvil kinda sound, its all gimmick with that thing though to be honest haha
Abi In Malam Rem
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:30 pm

I've heard people use kegs. I think Joey from Slipknot uses one extensively. Nice little accent. Kind of a subtle unique sound.
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
drummert2k

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:39 pm

roto tom frames make sweet bells, just rip them down the the metal frames and put them in a cymbla stand and smack away. the hole in the middle where the connect by a big screw fits on most cymbal stands nicely
wolfendenstate
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:31 am

Radiators and empty mini kegs work well
Demented Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:48 am

I have 4 sawblades, and an aluminum platter from an old turntable.

a friend has a 50 cal. shell he uses.

as soon as i replace my doorbell, i`m stealing the 3 chimes/bells from it.

I suggest you walk around with some sticks and try some things out. No matter how ridiculous you may think it. I bet you`ll find something that you would never have considered before. I`m currently trying to locate a bell from a fire alarm system.

when in doubt, check it out!
Tama GRANSTAR in Nile Blue
PAISTE cymbals
9 pieces of percussion
8-sided Pearl ICON rack
Gilbraltar throne
AHEAD sticks
Mad_cow
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:28 am

Fire bells,