Cleaning/treating shells?

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

meffajeffa
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:11 am

I've had my maple kit for about 1 year this month and i was, extremely sadly, going to change out the heads for the first time since I got the set. But my question is should i clean or treat the inner part of the shell (not outer) in any way? Should i treat it like normal wood around the house and use some type of oil?? Seems like that would mess with sound and vibrations of the drum. Anyone?
The Alien Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:21 am

You should always wipe the edges clean when you change the heads, as far as the shells it depends on your finsh. Most household cleaners are mostly water/wax and don't do anything but smear. If your kit has a varnish or laquer then you should just wipe it off with a soft terry cloth or something that won't scratch. I personally use a california duster on my kit (like they use on show cars) everytime I pull them out of the cases. There is hardly ever a reason to clean them more than that, unless someone spills their beverage of choice on my drums. Then it takes awhile to clean off all their blood. :-)
Hope that helps.- Jeff
http://www.myspace.com/thealiendrummer

Starclassic Birch -- Mapex Pro- M Rock -- Ludwig Rocker -- Roland SPD-S -- Pearl ICON Rack -- Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Saluda & Wuhon Cymbals -- Yamaha PTX8
The Alien Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:22 am

hmmm.... just got that part about INNER shell, I'm a little slow. I never have used anything on the inner shell.
http://www.myspace.com/thealiendrummer

Starclassic Birch -- Mapex Pro- M Rock -- Ludwig Rocker -- Roland SPD-S -- Pearl ICON Rack -- Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Saluda & Wuhon Cymbals -- Yamaha PTX8