Can any of you guys dance??

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon May 14, 2007 12:28 pm

As a younger man I danced often, it was the easiest way to meet women, and was told that I was pretty good but unless I had a ton of alcohol in me i felt like a fool. I maintain that I cannot dance and it almost takes an act of God now to get me on the dance floor. lol
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
janosiff
new
new

Post Mon May 14, 2007 1:28 pm

I have accepted the fact that I'm a crappy dancer, so I've created my own "dance" that isn't much a dance at all, just me looking like an ass with a beat behind it haha. But I have fun doing it, and I'm okay with looking like an ass so, it's cool.
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Mon May 14, 2007 5:24 pm

i love to dance because it gives me the opportunity to get in touch with the beat without actually playing it. i wouldn't say that i'm great, but i've been known to show off every once in a while.

but the other two drumemrs in our school jazz band are crazy. one of them is a tall, lanky, acne-ridden, shy white boy that shames michael jackson at his own game, and the other is short, stocky, with glasses that can pop, lock, and drop like re-run. his hip-hop dancing skills are mind-boggling.

but the first kid...i mean, he lays low and keeps to himself all year, and then at prom he goes insane on the dance floor. no-one sees it comin.
Beat on.
killdrum1983
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue May 15, 2007 4:25 am

i cannot dance and i hate that i don't feel any pleasure dancing
MrBojengles
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue May 15, 2007 7:44 am

i did wushu/white dragon for a few years aswell as boxing and stuff... i can safely say:

whitch does not fit:

A.) drumming#

B.) fighting#

C.) dancing

but after a good match at our gym when i come back home i take my shower and i hit those drums.. and i feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelll amazing!

any ways yah.. i suck at dancing. my brothers crazy at it. i dont like to dance..
hey. :)
tomeleefan
beginner
beginner

Post Tue May 15, 2007 9:33 pm

yea, that is weird, I can't dance for shit! you would think having more rhythm than anyone else in any other profession in the world would transfer to the hips, but it doesn't, that is so weird
vahnn
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed May 16, 2007 1:49 am

aahahaha, so true!

i can keep a beat and groove better than the band playing, but cows suffering from Mad Cow disease dance better than i do.
EnTropY
new
new

Post Wed May 16, 2007 5:48 am

I think the question is would I dance, and the answer is no

but mosh pits are different
Drumming = life
MrMcFetus
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed May 16, 2007 6:34 am

Nope. I'm a pretty shitty dancer... I like to play something to dance to then dance to something I could have more fun playing.
Tama.
Zildjian.
Vic Firth.
Remo.

92% of teens switch to rap. If you're in the 8% that don't, spread the word!
Mistajohn
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed May 16, 2007 11:39 am

I dance my ass off!

In fact, I teach my students to dance as they play. If you feel the groove enough to dance, other's may too!

Plus when you dance, there's no need to count/subdivide , or do any of that stuff. Just rock out and get crazy!

You'll find it is great for emotionally projecting the feeling of the music.

And above all it's fun!

Plus, dancing is like fucking. Figure it out!

(ie girls see you grooving and hitting hard...that stamina shows, the sweat glistens...they do their own math and you get attention after the show)!
Alexander
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed May 16, 2007 12:36 pm

:idea: Goddamn dudes & girlies. It's all self consciousness around other people we're talking about here. If you were in a room by yourself, listening to music, could you dance? Surely, to some extent, unless you're physically disabled. & then you couldn't play drums much either in most cases.

A few of you mentioned booze which I often refer to as "liquid courage". So many of you are scared, self conscious, uncomfortable, embarrassed to gyrate your pelvis in front of other people especially when we usually try to make a "perfect" impression on other people, especially of the opposite sex/potential mates.

I have danced only once in my life. I was 2/3 drunk. 4 of us, my good buddy & 2 girls said I "did fine" & I admit I had fun for all of 5 mins. :lol: I was 25yo & am now 36. It's simply a fear I'm still unwilling to tackle thinking it's unimportant. Rhythm or meter is a sense of time kept in one's head. All musician's, especially drummers, have it to a greater extent than a non-musician. It's what makes us musicians in part. Rhythm, melody, harmony. So we should all be able to dance! In my (& many) cases, I just refuse to do something I'm not very good at. I've been drumming & bodybuilding for 19.5 years each. I'm quite good at both. Check out my myspace pages! But it's a shame I don't tackle my fear of looking the fool (as if anyone cares anyway!) on a dancefloor headon before I hit 85yrs. old.

I'm not a country music fan but as a drummer, I recognize good music. Remember that song "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack? Listen to the positive message in her lyrics. "Time, is a wheel in constant motion, always roll-ing us a-long. Tell me who, wants to look back on their years & wonder, where those years have gone". That chick is right! :oops:

I recognize Dancing is a great social & co-ed experience. And singing can be looked at the exact same way 4 ya'! Any one can sing to some extent & better with practice & lessons. I'm just tired of being "scared" of being seen partaking of it. Think about that, my friends... Chances are you feel the same way. Life is short. & the older (& wiser) you get the shorter life becomes.

~ Alex in S.F., CA.
~ Alex.
See my Band "ToneDrones" & Drum pix @ 2 MySpace URLs:

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/tonedrones &

Me Self: http://www.myspace.com/alexander23
vahnn
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed May 16, 2007 4:24 pm

Alexander wrote::idea: Goddamn dudes & girlies. It's all self consciousness around other people we're talking about here.

No, dude. I've tried practicing. My recent ex LOVED dancing and i tried very hard to become good at it. I. Simply. Cannot. Dance.

End of story.

Now i'll still go out and TRY to dance. It just makes my friends embarrassed by me, hahahaha.
seandude
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed May 16, 2007 5:34 pm

why i play drums
cant dance...
cant sing
cant play gutair...

maybe ill drum!!!!

and its been working for over 7 years

and the only dance move i know is where i move my knees/head on beat....lol or mosh!
safe sex is in the palm of your hand
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Wed May 16, 2007 7:56 pm

Only when they're shooting at my feet. I can't dance to save my life. :)
Daza73
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed May 16, 2007 11:39 pm

hahaha i use to tap dance few yrs ago...i can hardcore dance yeeeeoooow bringin out the 2step hahaha my mate is a guitarest and 2 steps like a retarted terminator looks like shit HAHAHA