Can any of you guys dance??

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

retrodrummergirl
new
new

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:14 am

Ha ha!! GREAT post! Even as a female drummer, put me out on that dance floor, and it's total disaster! :lol: I'd like to think I've got rhythm out there, but really know I should contain it behind the kit! Never understood why it can't be a cross-over of rhythmic talent!
94.hhy43 (//-- InRe --
new
new

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:46 am

Damn am I glad I'm not the only one!!!

Just last night I was in the car with a female friend of mine, and she turned my Sirius radio over to a hip-hop station... she started being goofy and dancing, so I did the same... she stopped what she was doing and said "Damn... you can't dance for SHIT!!! Can't you HEAR the beat???"

I was only kidding around with the dancing; wasn't like I was TRYING to dance seriously, but the few times I've been dragged on a dance floor have been an utter disaster, and I've been playing drums for 23 years!

I'm a badass on the kit... but I suck ass on the dance floor!
"Come out with your pants down!"
"You're only beautiful when you're in pain, dear."
TheYann
new
new

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:20 am

I'm not a good dancer, but I'm pretty good at making a fool of myself ... which could be the same thing really !
.:: TheYann ::.
Charolastra
new
new

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:04 pm

ive been raised in los angeles and hollywood.. i first was not a good dancer , but after the years you get the rythim and feeling.. and if you got good timing in the drums , then you got it on the dance floor!..

just a random question. any drummers here played drunk? does it improve or worsens your ability and creativity? lol okay guys take it easy
Tama
Zildjian
Axis
Vic firth
Evans
fas-tedz
new
new

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:11 pm

mikeellis wrote:I make people on fire look like good dancers.

Noddy Holder was on R2 last week discussing the same issue, you can tell a drummer at a dance, he's at the bar.

I think we suck at dancing because we're TOO conscience of the beat. Instead of moving 'around' the rhythm, we're still playing the damn rhythm!
And that, my friend, makes for some lame ass dancing.
Therefore, I Too watch from the bar.
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:26 pm

I've spent my whole life refusing to dance. I tell everyone that drummers don't dance because we're normally playing the beat that everyone dances to.

I don't even "dance" at hardcore shows. I don't two-step either.

Although, if there's a sick circle pit, wall of death or bloody massacre mosh pit...I'm in! But I don't think that counts as dancing...more like legal attempted murder.

So I guess we all agree to try and put the word out that drummers don't dance as much as possible so that people stop asking us? I'm linking to this post and putting it on my MySpace.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
Chad Scott
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:12 pm

I can dance almost as good as I drum-No rythm problems here?
My best friend is a drummer & his girlfriend complains.she sais that he has great rythm behind a kit & none in the bed--he he..I just laugh & tell her she could have been with me! I'd have to say that either you got it or not---it doesn't make sense to me that someone with great rythm can't dance? If you can play the cha cha you should be able to see it in dance? well you'd think?Anyway I love to dance!
just another drummer who wants to become better,learn more and play more than most..
if you can help please do!!
Mid Youth Crisis
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:13 pm

i think i can...well, i can dance swing & salsa.
Maybe i've proved u wrong now.
Hah!
"Have you heard...Have you listened lately?"
freddy20222
new
new

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:55 am

i dont know how to dance, i just move my body like crazy!!!!!!!!!!
~Freddy~
Pork Sword
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:26 am

byrdofpray wrote:well i think i am a good dancer ... but it depends on the level of inebriation and what music is on. i just like moving me body to the beat, thats why i got me drumkit.

That is so true...The more booze, the better I can dance as well. Or at least I think I can.
"as your attorney, I advise you to drive at top speed & it'll be a goddamn miracle if we can get there before you turn into a wild animal!!....30 minutes, it was going to be very close."
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:32 am

Jonboid wrote:Heres the deal, any drummer i've met.. no matter how stunning in skill or technique is a SHITE dancer!! (including myself)
yeah so this is a random post but i was just having a think to myself and thought this.

can any of you guys dance well??

Feel free to dissprove my theory!!

thanks!

=]

Steve Gadd studied tap dancing.

I however cannot dance. :(
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
SkinBeater
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:35 pm

That's hilarious that you bring this up.. just this weekend me and my girlfriend were at a club.. i usually sit at the table while they go out and dance on the floor( i watch all the purses).. she was saying "why can't you dance if you know how to play drums and keep a beat???"

I couldn't answer...

Jon
"Hold the red star proudly..."

Check out more vids at... www.myspace.com/shogun_warrior32
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:44 pm

fas-tedz wrote:
mikeellis wrote:I make people on fire look like good dancers.

Noddy Holder was on R2 last week discussing the same issue, you can tell a drummer at a dance, he's at the bar.

I think we suck at dancing because we're TOO conscience of the beat. Instead of moving 'around' the rhythm, we're still playing the damn rhythm!
And that, my friend, makes for some lame ass dancing.
Therefore, I Too watch from the bar.

HAHAHA! This is true, how many times have you been "dancing" and then a really really good beat comes on and before you know it, in a drunken state you're air drumming like a nutter! :-P
Stoned Gerbil
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:13 am

Haha! Not for shit! I've never met a drummer that can!
Yamaha Drums/Hardware
Remo Heads
Zildjian Cymbals
Vic Firth Sticks
Mapex Pedals/Snare
basketcase368
new
new

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:17 pm

I know i cant dance for crap but i think the real question we should be asking is why can't drummers dance? I mean we can keep a beat and stuff .....hmmmmm :P