BD mic question

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

condemnedcold
new
new

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:52 am

I've actually never had any problems with Audix mics. They have actually been the best mics I've used for drums recording.
...I'm with the band.
makes
new
new

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:09 am

I use a Beta 52 80% of the time. Ihave a small studio in Nashville (for what thats worth) I record,rock, country,blues etc...it works well for that stuff.

Others that work well Sennheiser 421, Beyer M380, AKG D112

For the money, I would get the AKG or the Beta 52, you'll be happy with either one.

This is my opinion and it all depends on what you are recording of course.

Best of luck!!

Makes
mheatwole
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:59 am

Ive heard great things about the beta 52. I also have had some wonderfull experiences with the AKG D 112. I fell in love with that Mic so thats what I would want.
FunkyDrummer913
new
new

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:12 pm

Depending on your situatuon (live or studio). Here is what I recommend and prefer:

Studio- Use the Beta 52 in side the front head as close to suspended in the center of the drum via a short boom. Angle it slightly keeping the diaphragm pointed at the location where the beater makes contact with the head. The result will leave this mic approximately 6 - 8 inches from the batter-side head.

Secondly, use the D112 on the batter side, positioned with a claw approximately 3 - 4 inches to the left or right of center (out of the way of the beater, obviously) and slightly above. Keeping the mic approximately 2 inches off the surface of the head.

This will give you incredibly low-end via the 52 and lots of crisp clean attack via the 112.

Live- BETA...BETA....BETA....nothing says "Live Low End Kick Drum" like a Beta 52. Set up just like stated above. Enjoy! Hope your subs can handle it!

I hope this helps.
Less is More...Keep It Simple..Keep It In The Pocket...Show Chops As Needed.
phee
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:38 am

My opinion is, if you're going to stay on the cheap side, you're better off replacing the kick digitally in the mix. Only the fine tuned ear can tell when a kick is a triggered sample. Nearly all professional recordings have some type of digital modification to the aucoustic kick drum sound. I think it sounds best to have a 30-40% replacement with the majority of the sound being acoustic. However, If the three listed mics are the only thing you have to choose from, you might as well record with a radio shack mic cause you'll only get a professional sound if you replace it digitally 100%.

For the live setting the 91 and the D6 are the clear winners, those who disagree have probably not used them. However, it is really a taste thing.

I wish everyone would throw their D112's away. They're just not good. I don't understand the huge amount of loyalty people have for such a mediocre mic.
Spydr2000
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:12 am

A mic for the bass drum might be the way to go, but my sound guy used a shure 58 1" away from the batter head where my beater would strike. I also like to mention I had a killer soundman, which is probably why this worked. My live tracks on my myspace page you can hear it.. use track 'evil breeds evil' . I also had a separate eq on my kick with no gating. Thats about all I can tell you.