Drummers get no respect

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

soliddrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:01 pm

I never decided to play drums to get 'respect' in the first place. So I don't have a problem if people disrespect me. I know the problem is theirs.

The International Drumming Ambassador, Dom Famularo said in a recent clinic here in Sydney: "I didn't choose drums, they chose me."

I couldn't agree more. Rythym has always been in me, drums is just an expression of what is always going on inside my head.
Skill tempered with relevance and simplicity.
Flatliner

Post Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:16 am

Never had he problem of disrespect, the poeple who don't understand the instrument have never tried to play it. If you pay attention to the great musicians, they have nothing but the utmost respect for drummers, its the poeple who now little about music and don't understand the ability of a drummer to change the entire feel and style of the music by the beat they decide to play that don't respect us.
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:15 am

It's the individual.
A person cannot "demand" respect and get it.
One night the guitarist told me during the begining of a tune "Stop fucking playing". Ok......I get up, walk outside the club and he comes out "Why did you leave during the intro of that tune?" I said "You said to stop fucking playing". Then I told him "If you ever curse me on a stage in front of an audience, he wrath that I lay upon you will be of biblical proportions." He has not disrespected me as of yet. :)

There's an old story going around. The principal of an all-girl's school was getting fed up with lipstick being blotted onto the mirrors (You know how some girls do.....they blot their lips on the mirror)

One day the principal called the girls into the bathroom. "I have asked you to stop blotting your lips onto the mirror" he said. "Our janitor is tired of cleaning your lipstick prints. Show the girls how you have to labor to clean." The custodian goes to the toilet, dips the rag into the toilet, then goes to the mirror and wipes off the lipstick. "You make him work so hard."

After that, no more lipstick on the mirrors.

If you accept disrespect, you get it. Me, I don't take anyone's shit. However, I treat everyone as I would like to be treated. That's the difference.

~B
mapexdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:50 pm

^^^^^
nice man! although ur lucky that u play with
mature people otherwise they wouldnt have
understood ur ways n they woulda taken it
up the ass...im not saying be sensitive guys
but i know how it goes...yea they call us cavemen
or monkeys with sticks...unfortunatly for us its a constant battle for crap like this u know? always [proving] yourself to stay on top! yea u can throwdown sum badass licks yet next week comes n its like:umm ok u did that last week anything else? yea drums are hard fellas it is...
all it is...is a state of mind....
lets drum fast and sexy :]
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:52 am

ive been with groups that diss on drummers, ive been in groups that praised t hem. myself. ive played all the basic instruments in a band on stage. and i know how to play 8 instruments all together. and the drums took the most time to learn. i guess i am pretty lucky to be in a band that respects and values the drums. besides that.t hey know they cant say shit. because i know more music theory etc than them. and they like to deny the fact(that i have proved) i wright and wrote the majority of our music. most musicians and listeners take drummers for grantit. its hard work. i dont think they realize that we set the mood for the music. for example. if a guitarist plays a simple riff and loops it. we can play the drums backing it in time with it, double time, half time, swing it. everything. we set the mood for the music. i remember playing guitar on stage. i wrote alot of my solos around the drum parts. and my guitarist does his best do to the same in this band around my drum parts.they tried hating on me one time for drumming. and i did that very thing mentioned several times above. handed them my sticks and said" alright mr music man... you do it " and they havnet said shit since.+
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:53 am

ive been with groups that diss on drummers, ive been in groups that praised t hem. myself. ive played all the basic instruments in a band on stage. and i know how to play 8 instruments all together. and the drums took the most time to learn. i guess i am pretty lucky to be in a band that respects and values the drums. besides that.t hey know they cant say shit. because i know more music theory etc than them. and they like to deny the fact(that i have proved) i wright and wrote the majority of our music. most musicians and listeners take drummers for grantit. its hard work. i dont think they realize that we set the mood for the music. for example. if a guitarist plays a simple riff and loops it. we can play the drums backing it in time with it, double time, half time, swing it. everything. we set the mood for the music. i remember playing guitar on stage. i wrote alot of my solos around the drum parts. and my guitarist does his best do to the same in this band around my drum parts.they tried hating on me one time for drumming. and i did that very thing mentioned several times above. handed them my sticks and said" alright mr music man... you do it " and they havnet said shit since.+
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
Preston
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:55 am

First, let me say that I've been playing professionally for 46 years. I play all styles, from philharmonic orchestras to jazz (big band & small group), all styles of rock, pop, RnB, metal, etc. I also read and write music and can arrange for all instruments (writing out the music). I have played on at least a dozen hit recordings and have a lot of experience touring. That being said, I have only encountered disrespect a few times in my career. In almost every case, it was from younger less experienced "musicians." The other times it was from another musician (usually guitarist) that was on an ego trip and resented having any attention taken away from himself. Generally speaking, pro musicians respect all other players, regardless of instrument, until that person shows he is individually not deserving of respect.
That can be not only not being able to play his or her instrument well, but lack of professionalism. Showing up late, drunk, high on drugs or not repecting the other musicians (or audience) himself!

The phenomenom of the drummer not being regrded as a "musician" is very old. Louie Bellson told me years ago that back in the early days of the big bands, when the leader was asked what the makeup of his band was, he would answer, " I have 15 musicians and a drummer."

My daughter is also a pro drummer-musician, playing guitar and bass as well. Being a female, she has had to prove herself more than a male drummer would be expected to. When she proved herself to be better than most of the guys, they disliked her for that from pure jealousy!

Bottm line: Be professional, know your job and and do it well, show respect to those around you. You will work more often and be repected more. Those drummers with oversized egos and a chip on their shoulders find it harder to work. Only a very few such as the legendary Buddy Rich have been able to act like that and still play regularly with respect thrown in. But his talent was so overwhelming, he got away with it.

Only my 46 years of experience talkin' here... I still work with top pros regularly.
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:24 pm

soliddrummer wrote:I never decided to play drums to get 'respect' in the first place. So I don't have a problem if people disrespect me. I know the problem is theirs.

The International Drumming Ambassador, Dom Famularo said in a recent clinic here in Sydney: "I didn't choose drums, they chose me."

I couldn't agree more. Rythym has always been in me, drums is just an expression of what is always going on inside my head.

Amen to that!
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford