Drummers get no respect

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

drummingpraetor
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:03 am

hey, im new to the forums, I would just like to ask a simple question:

Why do drummers get no respect?
the common stereotype for a rock drummer is a retard who mindlessly bangs on his drums. Drummers have to hold everything together, and compensate for the lack of timing from others! A famous drummer once said: people think of drummers as a musicians best friend.

cheers!
White_stripe772
new
new

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:56 am

well... the problem with stereotypes are that they are mainly true. There are alot of drummers that do that these days. But, I think these thoughts were brought up from other drummers. Jazz players fell that the kits importance is from the top down. While heavier players feel that the the kit builds from the bottom up.

A Rock players stereotype of a jazz musician, is he's a frail weak player. While the Jazz player sees the heavy player as a lug with no talent, and plays purely basic beats.

I don't see any of this, I have a respect for all styles of music. I, personally, have never heard that rock drummers are cave men wih sticks. I can see that in 80's power rock, because almost all of the beats are simple and basic. But, I think this is comming back...

With todays "Pop/Emo" music, most of it is the same- A punk-ish grove. I really hope this changes... I would really love to see more REAL jazz brought into rock. I feel Jazz is the hardest style to play.

Sorry for the rant... Just had to get this out
catkel
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:06 am

I was listening to the radio a couple of months ago and the man who was doing it said that drummers are just big men who hit animal skins. which is not true, i dont know why they do it.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:18 am

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that a lot of people don't perceive drums as having a defined note like other instruments.

I always whip out the Terry Bozzio argument (the reasoning behind his current setup that is) when people try to tell me this, and that's usually sufficient enough to shut them up. And well, drums are the most physical instrument, and some people liken it to a sport rather than music.

I think these stereotypes are ill-informed and just totally ridiculous. Just because someone can't hear the musicality in drumming, it doesn't mean it's not there. Their perception of "music" is limited. :P
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Jonboid
new
new

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:45 am

Yeah dude!
I hate that.. Thankfully the band i currently playing drums with doesnt have that view, theyre really respectful of me which is amazing. I think its great because i've worked with some dickheads of musicians... The most hurtful thing ever came about a year and a half ago when a guitarist said to me " what would you know, you're just a drummer! "
That sucked big-time but now things are better and theres nothing but respect among the musicians in my band now.

But hey..
did ya hear this one?

A man died and soon after, went to Heaven. He discovered Heaven was an endless hallway with doors to the left and right. On the door was your I.Q. number. He went to door 160, and found the people there talking about quantum physics. He slammed the door and went to door 120. He found the people there trying to figure out as many decimal places of pi that they could. He shut the door and went to 80. He found the people in there talking about lastnight's Packer game. He thought to himself, "I'll come back to this one later," and shut the door. He walked all the way down to 16, and found the people in there talking about Sunday's episode of "King of the Hill." He shut the door, and went to door 7. He foung the people in there drooling on each other. Lastly, he went to door 3. He opened the door and heard one of the people say, "My sticks were Zildjian, what were yours?"

haha, people can be so ridiculous!!

Drums are life :]
rock the fuck out!!!!
Warrdogg
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:11 pm

Most musicians have no idea what we do as drummers, let alone the music listener. From having to use both arms and both legs, sometimes with multiple pedal setups, and keeping time and throwing in fills.
I am lucky enough also to be in a band that respects what I do, and I respect them for that. I try to have as much input in writing and arranging songs as any other member.
Yes there are drummers that sit down behind a set and teach themselves some basic stuff, and they end up sounding like it. But as we all know practice makes perfect, and more practice and more practice.
To those who give us no respect, hand them your sticks and ask them to sit behind your set and play for an hour and see if they can make it for half that before they start crying about the blisters they are starting to get.
JimmiRock
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:24 pm

personally i'm not massively gifted at writing msuic but i find i'm pretty good at structuring tracks and suggesting where to put bridges and what should be heavy and what not....

i've been lucky not to get people picking on me as a drummer...i think probably becuase there is a huge lack of drummers on the scene where i am...everyone needs a good drummer!!!

we rule !!!
May i be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows i'm dead.
drummer3525
new
new

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:44 pm

stupid ass giutar players are just jealous of us drummers. all they do is stand there and hold there fag stick for an hour and pluck strings all night, drums are the greatest instrument in the world and people who don't give drums respect or us drummers respect are just jealous because they can't play drums. that is all guitar players are, they are people who wanted to play drums but couldn't. now don't get me wrong i respect all muscians but if u down my instrument that i love which is drums. your ass is grass.
So to all us drummers, don't let stupid ass people say anything.
drummer101
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:30 pm

I generally dont find any respect problems especially among other musicians I know they all know that drums are very important in the music and that we can be just as musically talented as them. I also find that people who arent musicians are always amazed if you play something for them, they find speed incredible and the technical stuff just confuses them and then if you set some sheet music down infront of them they just say "wow you can read that". As the other person said if anyone says anything just hand them the sticks and tell them to play.
Mad_cow
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:55 pm

Well, I get soo much flak, soo much, but most of the time its the guitar players that are off time and complaining it is me (I even played with a metronome to show them I was on time)

but the group I'm playing with now, it just amazing when it comes to drummers, I bet I know just as much music theory as them, its just so fun o sit down bring ideas to the table.

Ohh I hate the popular music thats around, its soo thecnically boreing, soo this group is highly experimental metal, with lots of jazz thrown in,

-MAd_cow

wolfsburg6674
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:18 pm

what i hate more than being made fun of for being a drummer is not being acknowledged at practice with your input....sure the singer can say "maybe put a fill there" but when i say "maybe you could walk the bass for a few bars" i get ignored...but some stereotypes are true atleast in my case....i was always the poor kid in band and so are most drummers that i know...hence the joke: what do you call a drummer with no girlfriend?....homeless
but its cause i always threw money at my set so no one complained
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:51 pm

First off, it doesn't matter if you play rock or jazz. If you suck, you suck. Although I do agree on combining the two more often. I like "hybridized" music.

More recently I've been in groups that allow me to have input into the song structures, solos and whatever else. It's mostly due to the maturity of who I'm playing with. It also helped when I sat down and played everything on-time and didn't step on anyone else's toes (especially in two bands where it's not my style of music at all).

You also have to look at what the people you play with like. There's one guy that one of my bands plays with (we're the only group he trusts) and he is cool with whatever I do as long as it's chill, relaxed and the fills/accents are mostly done on splashes and smaller crashes...and that fits the stuff he writes better anyways.

What pisses me off is when I had to have my drums transported in someone else's car when I wasn't driving, and stuff got messed up. They guy didn't seem to have any problems with my stuff getting scratched or broken under his "care" because "they're just drums, all you do is hit them anyways." Yeah, I was a little mad about that. The one-and-only scratch in my Tama set is from that guy.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
prl_drmer_08
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:29 pm

I dont know why people that know nothing about rock drumming think this about us. I mean rock drumming is more than it will ever seem to them cuz theyre not the ones sitting behind the drum kit keepin the band together. I sometimes feel like I dont get the respect I should be getting for being a rock drummer. I just don't think people understand drumming much.
Jiggarelli
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:24 am

I think that it depends on what you do and how you do it.
Let's face it, our jobs as drummers are equally as important as any other role in music. I'd really like to see Motley Crue rumble a stadium and have it all dancing at once without Tommy Lee.
Also, not to offend anyone here on this forum, and I don't know everyones ages or level of playing(weekend warrior, once a month, full time, etc...) but I will say that once you get past all of the non-sense and start working with profesional musicians, eveything changes for the better. I would say that as a human being you shouldn't be afraid to demand the respect you deserve, that goes for drumming as well. Just don't get cocky. The best drummers in the world are some of the most humble people you will ever meet. The cocky musicians, you never meet them...you wouldn't know them or recognize them if you did because they don't have bands. No one will work with them!
Just my 2 cents!
Jayson Asbury
For information regarding the products that I endorse please visit me on the web or on myspace @ www.myspace.com/jaysonasburydrummer
& @ www.jaysonasbury.com
Stick It!
Demented Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:28 am

I generally don`t have comments made about drumming... BUT, the best way to shut them up, in my 20 yr experience, is simple....

I get up and play something. They tend to shut up really quick. Then all the dumb drummer jokes get left behind and are replaced with "you`re amazing" :how long you been playing" "God -damn", etc.

I`m not claiming to be the greatest drummer alive. Far from it. But I never have a problem shutting people`s mouths when they bash drummers. Granted, there`s a lot of drummers who "lack" but that doesn`t make us all idiots.

Let your sticks do the rebuttle.

There`s nothing I love more than to see someone completely dumb-founded and looking for a slice of humbel pie.
Tama GRANSTAR in Nile Blue
PAISTE cymbals
9 pieces of percussion
8-sided Pearl ICON rack
Gilbraltar throne
AHEAD sticks