in a solo, what do you look for in order for it to be great?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Chad Scott
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:07 am

I want to know what drummers think needs to be in a solo to make it great? Like do you need a stick trick or a 32nd role?
just another drummer who wants to become better,learn more and play more than most..
if you can help please do!!
m
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:39 am

for me, it should be a song in it's own right-
should be musical, rhythmic- should progress like a song does.
Shouldn't just be a bunch of licks, fills, or tricks thrown together.
That's from a drummer's perspective.

Crowds, on the other hand, seem to love the grandstanding- so some compromise including both is usually called for.
catkel
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:09 am

I think drum solos should be spacious and simple. I personally dont like it when drummers just play really fast and make a noise out of the kit instead of music. I personally prefer to do solos that are spacious which give me time to breathe if you understand me and to make it simple and not hit the drums too hard or too soft but to get just the right sound out of the toms and the rest of the kit.
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:33 am

Fills/solos can get out of hand with some drummers... i personally think pure speed in a drum fill/solo is not always the right approach to them.
i find playing slow is ALOT harder than playing fast musically, including rudiments into solo's and making a real uniqe sound with your kit is brillient for me.
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
eml
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue May 06, 2008 5:22 am

I want a solo I can clap the tempo to and still be impressed. I love it when solos stick to or refer to a beat you can imagine playing at the same time as all the technical stuff. Personally I don't care for playing solos though.
Assback
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue May 06, 2008 6:05 am

It has to be both impressive and entertaining. Taken it back to the old school for my answer
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T8__EwAT8VM&hl=en&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T8__EwAT8VM&hl=en&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Henry George
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue May 06, 2008 6:17 am

[quote="Assback"]
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T8__EwAT8VM&hl=en&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T8__EwAT8VM&hl=en&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/quote]

What do you do with this?

Cheers.
CRISS CROSS RHYTHMS EXPLODE WITH HAPPINESS.
TheLoneGunman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue May 06, 2008 7:06 am

Woot! The Ventures own.

I believe melody is the key to a good solo. Check out Steve Gadd and Bernard Purdie on YouTube they've got lot's of solos.
My Gear:

Shine Defenition Series Drum Set
Shine Mike Johnston Signature Snare
Saluda Cymbals

http://www.myspace.com/xthelonegunmanx == friend me and say hi

Drumming is Fun!
okjohne
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue May 06, 2008 7:35 am

Yes it should sound like a song of sorts. Kinda like drum band for any of you who went to Music School. I like to build a solo like classical architecture or Music. A beginning a middle and an end. Most importantly it should be short. I think two -three minutes unless of course you are Steve Gadd. I could listen to him or Dave Weckle all day.
imjeffcanudigit
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue May 06, 2008 7:35 am

I enjoy drum solos when they flow good.
DRummer BOy Jeff
ChrisNichols
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue May 06, 2008 9:58 am

First off, for me, it can't just be showing off a bunch of random, really technical fills and such. They've gotta be woven together somehow, turned into almost a tune of their own. This is one reason - and I'm probably going to get ripped into for this - that it's hard for me to listen to the studio version of 'Moby Dick' by Led Zeppelin (although Bonzo did some fine solos live).

Secondly, gotta be imaginitive in some way! I mean, if it's just a pile of 32nd rolls non stop for ten minutes, that's going to get boring, repetitive, and probably migraine-inducing. There's lots of stuff you can do besides drumrolls, take advantage of that! Plenty of rudiments, time signatures, and whatnot to play around with.

Thirdly, in my opinion, skill and technique are more important than incredible speed and power. Oh go for speed and power as well of course, but remember those aren't EVERYTHING. Try and balance it out with some slower or quieter segments, they help to build up the anticipation. Or alternatively keep the whole thing loud and fast, but make sure it's nice and rhythmic and flowing.

And fourthly, know when to call it quits. Even as a drummer who LOVES soloing, I can't stand long, drawn-out drum solos.
This could only be more awesome if it had tits and was on fire.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue May 06, 2008 11:13 am

music. it needs to have drama, ebb, flow, some sense of composition/organization. I get bored really fast just watching someone blow out a bunch of chops. Marco Minneman plays some GENIUS solos.
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Tue May 06, 2008 1:21 pm

Cowbell. More cowbell.

Seriously, someone who can keep a common thread rolling through planned bits of chaos.
b b253
groove master
groove master

Post Tue May 06, 2008 1:26 pm

BillRayDrums wrote:Cowbell. More cowbell.

Seriously, someone who can keep a common thread rolling through planned bits of chaos.

hell ya
Pulse double bass kit
Mapex M birch 5 peice kit
Mapex steel 10 by 5.5 side snare
Sabian xs20 cymbals
Zildjian Avedis
Tama hardware
Remo heads
Regal tip =)
http://www.myspace.com/thedrummerboyoftheworld
rlrrll
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue May 06, 2008 1:32 pm

[quote="ChrisNichols"]First off, for me, it can't just be showing off a bunch of random, really technical fills and such. They've gotta be woven together somehow, turned into almost a tune of their own. This is one reason - and I'm probably going to get ripped into for this - that it's hard for me to listen to the studio version of 'Moby Dick' by Led Zeppelin (although Bonzo did some fine solos live).

Hey, even John Bonham said that the studio version of Moby Dick "didn't seem to go anywhere".

I like a musical solo with a mix of chops, musical themes, a mix of ideas and some entertainment value. Bozzio, Rich, Peart and Carl Palmer played very "lisenable" solos. Thomas Lang for example, plays technically stunning solos that are not that fun to listen to.