Drum Slump

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

meffajeffa
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:55 am

Hey Guys,

Do you guys ever go through a creative slump, like you are playing the same grooves or licks, rolls, etc. I've been feeling this way for about two weeks now, What do you do to get out of the rut?

meffajeffa
Adonis2121
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:01 pm

When Ive hit a wall the best thing I find is to try to stay away from the drums for a bit. If I didnt have that luxery, then I listen to other percussive instruments. (tabla, congas,etc.)
myspace.com/charettamusic
drums-Drum Workshop Lavender to Black Burst w/black hardware
cymbals-Anything that sounds good!
pedals-DW 9002
Hardware-DW
sticks-Vic Firth 5A (endorser)
Jiggarelli
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:55 am

Yes, and my understanding is that it happens to all drummers at some point. I agree with Adonis, get away from the kit for a day or so if you can. Or go see a great drummer play! Man seeing a fantastic drummer always inspires me! But don't panic, all artists go through slumps.
Jayson Asbury
For information regarding the products that I endorse please visit me on the web or on myspace @ www.myspace.com/jaysonasburydrummer
& @ www.jaysonasbury.com
Stick It!
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:32 am

yeah, i agree with both u guys, i've felt like tht many times, take a break for about a week or so, just listen to your fav drummers, listen to all different types of music, and lay back and relax for a bit, then when u come back, u may feel better :)
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
Pork Sword
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:37 am

wow, great topic...I agree with everyone so far...funny, I feel like I am in the same slump at the moment & am not too happy with my playing. I will certainly have to try some of these ideas.
"as your attorney, I advise you to drive at top speed & it'll be a goddamn miracle if we can get there before you turn into a wild animal!!....30 minutes, it was going to be very close."
Parrenze
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:54 pm

Yeh im having one as well, I just get on youtube and watch some videos of other drummers, famous and not(cus some have rly good ideas!), and its sort of rekindles my creativeness.
baddrum88
new
new

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:03 pm

i deffinently go through that all the time and i dont even get to play my drums all the time. what i do is try new things. if its a style that i dont normally play, then try to play it. if it sucks, try something else. u never know, it could be something you like.
evolusean13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:03 pm

learn something new. learn a new groove. try it out for a while get comfortable. put it in ur playing. tommy igoe's groove essentials is an amazing book. i get a lot of grooves from that book.
cumndrum
new
new

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:03 pm

yes i found just staying away from my set alwayyyysssss helps. then if u go to like a local concert and watch the drummers it will make you wanna get back into it. ive been in slumps many times and not only not able to create new grooves but unable to really play nething at all. but right now luckily im not in one of those slumps and am enjoying the things i got for xmas!!
Drumsrule05
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:53 pm

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. It happens a fair amount to me too, and it's really frustrating. I actually keep playing over and over, I don't take a break from the set. That may work, but for me it just works better to really listen to what you keep repeating and evaluate it, then from there you can decide what you need to work on to get out of the slump. Usually after a while I start playing a beat that I've never played before, get excited and inspired, and then I just go from there.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:04 pm

I heard a lot of folks saying they reconfigured their kit to challenge themselves and break out of certain mannerisms they found themselves falling into. I tried that this year and found that it is really inspiring. Moving things around can really make you approach playing differently and help you find rhythms or techniques you might not have otherwise.
floydistheman789
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:21 am

wow, this just happened to me like a week and a half ago, i felt like my drumming was going in the opposite direction, then i didnt touch my drums for at least a week, and i sat down at them last night and damn it felt good, my double bass sped up and my rolls were more full.
Floyd
DW Drums
Pro Mark Sticks
Sabian Cymbals
Aquarian Heads