Perfect 10" snares?

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:50 am

I'm concidering a 3rd snaredrum for my kit, and I'm wondering if ny of you guys have any suggestions and/or experiences on the matter?

My other two snares, are one (main-) snare that is a Yamaha RC 9000 14" x 8" wooden shell snare, and another (sidekick) that is a Pearl Free Floating 14" x 5" (also wooden shell).

The former is tuned fairly high in pitch, whilst the latter is tuned very high, as I use it as a "Hybrid piccolo snare".

First and foremost, I want a Yamaha 10" x 6" snare, but I also know that for example Yamaha made a 10" x 4 " Peter Erskine model that looks great.

So please; Any suggestions works fine here, as long as it's a perfect 10"! All brands are cool, allthough I personally have a "thing" for Yamaha's :wink:
Last edited by Animal on Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:05 am

Here's a few I've been looking at so far:

10" x 4" Peter Erskine Yamaha signature

Yamaha SD2055 - 10" x 5,5" Steel snare

Yamaha Stage Custom (#SSD1050A) 5x10 6 lug sopranino snare drum

Also, I've seen this 10" snare (below), but I have yet to find any information on the internet. Anybody?
(EDIT: It's also a Yamaha Stage Custom 5x10 6 lug sopranino snare drum with tom mount)

ImageImageImage
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:04 pm

Oh, surely there must be someone playing 10" snares around on this forum?! :shock:

C'mon! :evil:
ImageImageImage
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:55 pm

As far as I know Peter Erskine now plays DW Drums.
Try Mapex Cherry 10xwhatever. I've tried them and they sound really sweet.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Pork Sword
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:54 am

I have the PDP 10 x 6 side snare...it's an awesome buy for the money (I think it was less than $125 bucks!!) however I had the Peter Erskine at one point, it didn't have alot of body, it was quiet in my opinion & didn't cut all that well. The PDP for the cash cuts right through my 2 guitar players & bassist with no problem. The Pearl popcorn snares are a nice buy too. I think that steel shelled Yamaha you have pictured would be very nice & is probably not too expensive either...the steel shell would have some decent cut & get the job done...plus turn off the snares & I think it would have an awesome timbalito sound.
"as your attorney, I advise you to drive at top speed & it'll be a goddamn miracle if we can get there before you turn into a wild animal!!....30 minutes, it was going to be very close."
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:23 pm

I think you should try out sonor jungle 10x2 snare. Qbs uses one so he might be helpful, too! Here's a pic:

dim my eyes if they should compromise
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:44 pm

Thanks for good feedback, especially Pork Sword, but also Loop and Shalaq (I don't care who Peter Erskine endoses now by the way, as there is still a Yamaha signature snare around! :P )

Anyway, I will concider all of your suggestions, but I think I might aim for the Yamaha steel snare. I tend to prefer depth in a snaredrum, so I am absolutly not going for a "plain" piccolo snare.
(whatever x 2" or 3")

We'll see, thanks again! :D

P.S. I'm not that familiar with them PDP's, but I think they look a bit "cheap" and "childish"? No offence... :oops:

Are they better soundwise, than their looks? (I know this is obviously a matter of taste :wink: )
ImageImageImage
Pork Sword
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:16 pm

they are built alot better than you'd think for sure...I have an actual DW 5.5 x 14 snare, and the quality (while not really comparable, due to the enormous price tag difference) isn't bad at all. I'd put it at a much better built drum than anything else in it's price range...and believe me I did a ton of comparison shopping, because I am very fickle when it comes to getting gear.

you can build one to your specs too..
i think this is the url..

www.precisiondrum.com (if not you can google precision drum company)

they sell actual keller shells pre-edged & drilled for dirt cheap, the hardware is not too shabby either, realitively inexpensive, but very well made.

good luck either way...10 inch snares can be alot of fun..keep in mind though, try and get one with the mount already there, because if you sit low (like I do) a standard snare stand will sit them up around your ears. LOL, I primarily use mine on a stand.
"as your attorney, I advise you to drive at top speed & it'll be a goddamn miracle if we can get there before you turn into a wild animal!!....30 minutes, it was going to be very close."
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:56 am

Great info, Pork Sword! :D

They actually make a 50 PLY snar drum?! :shock: Wow! :D
That one looks really interesting, never seen anything like it!

I hoped for a pre-fixed site where you could actually see the result of your customed drum, but interesting still.
(Allthough they don't seem to use birch-wood, whitch is my favorite... :wink: )

Anyway, thanks again! Keep it comming! 8)
ImageImageImage
wolfendenstate
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:46 am

While I don't own a PDP piccolo snare yet, i'm planning on getting one, and I do own a PDP CX kit, which was excellent value for money, the kit really sings and was exactly what i was looking for in a mid range kit, so i highly recommend them.
FunkyDrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:04 pm

try Pearl's 10x4 sopranino. It's maple and it is really beautiful
be funky!
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:03 pm

As for the Sonor 10x2 it is really highly recommended that you hear it first because it is really specific :)
I personally love it :)
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
Pork Sword
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:53 am

Qbs wrote:As for the Sonor 10x2 it is really highly recommended that you hear it first because it is really specific :)
I personally love it :)

I have been looking around for one of those to mess with for a while now...I played around with one at a rehearsal studio and thought they were kind of cool...

Pork Pie's snares are sick!!! I played with a "Little Squealer" (awesome name by the way...) and it was incredible...I played both the maple & the acryllic (SP?) and they both had a sick tone....I'd give them a solid look also. Bill Detmore (the guy behind the Pork..lol) makes a really solid product. And the price isn't that bad either.