I would like some hints on dumping a band member?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:21 pm

Always take the high road..tell him that it is just not working out and that is that.
If he tweaks then at least you can say that you had some manners and showed respect for your fellow human being, and you didn't lie about it.
In my band we just switched Bassists, we told the guy leaving just what I said to you. He took it well and did not freak out.
If someone actually wants to be in a band they are reluctant to burn bridges that may be needed in the future.
Besides, who wants a guy in their band that has a reputation for acting like a baby. :roll:

Not me, not you, not anybody..
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
galgano16
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:27 pm

hey there a r a very large # of ways 2 do this, if it was me id just lay it on the line and say "GET DA F*** OUT" and leave it at tht, i kno its kinda if not very harsh, but when i say how it is 4 real then things tend 2 get done
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:31 pm

if he is ur really good friend its gonna be hard at first so try to be professional whne you let him go sure he is gonna be pissed at you but its worth it to get a better singer so your band can sound good
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:39 am

I would say do it in the manner that you would prefer(?) to be let go.....

For me, face to face like a man should do it, without insults and shouting, is the way to go. You don't need to tell him that he sucks or insult him, just tell him that you are wanting to hear something different that what you aren't getting from him. Maybe he will go on and improve afterwards and there is no use in burning the bridge. My friend fired Tommy Aldridge.

Also, Telephone, Text messaging, voicemail, email are the cowards' way to me. Be a man, keep your cool and if there is any drama let be him that provides it.
DRUMSMYWIFE
groove master
groove master
Location: Chula Vista, (A community within San Diego) California

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:39 pm

Tell him/her that you're moving to pursue a career in biochemistry. He/she will totally flip out.
Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:29 pm

Many moons ago, I was let go by my band, not so much for my playing, but because my head was up my ass over my ol' lady at the time. The worst thing the band did was to have just the singer/guitar player give me the axe, all alone. Be honest, and present it as a group, after all, thats what you are, right. Good luck.
P.S. we all did remain friends, and I saw their reasoning after all.
Hope this helps.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:34 pm

Tell them the truth. Nothing sucks worse than getting caught in a lie. YOU look like an asshole!
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:13 am

BillRayDrums wrote:Tell them the truth. Nothing sucks worse than getting caught in a lie. YOU look like an asshole!

Good advice...and that's assuming you don't look like one already!
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:02 pm

ive had to do this numerous times to friends and is one of the hardest things to do. their basically pissed off at first but if you explain to them your reasoning eventually they will understand. my best friend at the moment was one of those people once.

be honest, TELL HIM IN PERSON, and just let him know whats up. get to the point and if hes understanding maybe he'll sit and chill afterwards.

our vocalist quit about a week ago and then wanted back in. we told him no, your indecisive, financially unstable, and are going to school in the fall. he took it well and we all hung out, chilled and talked about the future of the band together. all in all it worked out great. were all still friends and now were on the search for a vocalist.