I would like some hints on dumping a band member?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Chad Scott
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:18 am

I have a singer that thinks he is all that the bag of chips and the hotdog!
His head is huge for his lack of abillity...He sings ok but his screaming is so bad sounding that we have to let him go! He thinks he has the show but we don't want him anymore...got suggestions?
just another drummer who wants to become better,learn more and play more than most..
if you can help please do!!
ReclusE
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:10 am

Be professional, respectful and have tact. No matter how you look at it it's not going to be an easy thing to do, but imo first and foremost be honest and dont skirt the issue. My band has been through several bassists over the last few years and telling them they just arent going to work for the band was not an easy thing to do. Good Luck.
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:02 pm

Be quick and to the point. Just tell him " listen, we think your'e not suitable for us anymore or sth and we've voted you out".
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
drummert2k

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:07 pm

i agree with the other posts. be to the point. if he's to busy trying to be a "rockstar" to better himself as a musician and practice what he needs to do, then just tell him theres no room in the band for that kind of ego. i find most often the singers are the ones that get the big heads and their also the ones that do the least homework perfecting their instrument
hungrypo
new
new

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:47 am

"break-up" the band...throw a tantrum and quit or something....then reform without him with a different name. its the best way...fuck this honesty/professional bullshit.
Timekeep69

Post Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:27 pm

Be honest and tactful. Do it in person. Just have band members present.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
Demented Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:14 am

hungrypo wrote:"break-up" the band...throw a tantrum and quit or something....then reform without him with a different name. its the best way...fuck this honesty/professional bullshit.

CRAP CRAP CRAP

Be 100% honest.

Just that simple!
Tama GRANSTAR in Nile Blue
PAISTE cymbals
9 pieces of percussion
8-sided Pearl ICON rack
Gilbraltar throne
AHEAD sticks
Adonis2121
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:37 pm

Tell him rehearsal is on Thursday at 7, when its really Friday @7 with the new singer. When he calls to see where everyone is at, tell him "by the way you're fired"!, ala Donald Trump. J/K just be honest and tell himthe truth.
myspace.com/charettamusic
drums-Drum Workshop Lavender to Black Burst w/black hardware
cymbals-Anything that sounds good!
pedals-DW 9002
Hardware-DW
sticks-Vic Firth 5A (endorser)
funkdrmr
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:47 am

One thing you didn't mention....is the singer a good friend of yours? It doesn't really sound like it, but if he is then it can kind of complicate things.

All-in-all, close friend or not, being professional is the way to go. I had to deal with this twice in my last band, and we were all VERY close friends. Once for addictions that couldn't be controlled (leading to a bad incident at an important show), and the other, just plain ol' "I don't give a shit about my playing" attitude that ended up holding everyone back.

Some suggestions:

Get everyone else in your band together and make sure you're all on the same page.

If that's the case, have a meeting in another day or so...don't let one of the members have too long to get concious & back out. If they make the decision with you, do everyone a favor & get the meeting over with quick so personal feelings don't get involved.

It's brotherhood, it's music, but it's also a business. If your goals are anything more than not giving a damn & just having fun, then dealing with these situations is just the ugly side of the business aspect. Be clear and quick at the meeting, and it will be fine........everyone will be over it in a couple of days, anyways.
Jiggarelli
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:48 am

hungrypo wrote:"break-up" the band...throw a tantrum and quit or something....then reform without him with a different name. its the best way...fuck this honesty/professional bullshit.

You have to be kidding...What is the issue with just saying "look Pal, it isn't working out, and the rest of us are working hard at this. We feel as though no matter what we can't make it work so we as a collective have decided to replace you." If you deal dirty and the new guy gets sick the day of a big show you might want to be able to get a fill in, you know. By the way, I dig the tunes on your bands myspace page, but I heard they were starting a new band called "Minus Po" you catch wind of that yet? I'm kidding, I like it.
Jayson Asbury
For information regarding the products that I endorse please visit me on the web or on myspace @ www.myspace.com/jaysonasburydrummer
& @ www.jaysonasbury.com
Stick It!
mapexdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:59 pm

"break-up" the band...throw a tantrum and quit or something....then reform without him with a different name. its the best way...fuck this honesty/professional bullshit.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! immaturity....heh dude just say wats on ur mind...ok although be pro about it k just do it in a calm matter.
lets drum fast and sexy :]
Mad_cow
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:32 am

That has really happened to me, and it just sucks,
Well it happened because the singer and guitarist didn't like anyone else, so they killed the band and tryed to create another band, but that went through.

So it just doesn't work out at all.

Do do it.

stump

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:53 am

Man...our band went through thias about 3 months ago with a singer. The mistake that was made was that we let the inevitable drag out for about a month. I am the type of person that is generally straight to the point but I tend to hurt feelings, so i've been told. We finally had the most diplomatic one of our band members (my Brother) let the guy down easy. He was obviously disappointed but took it like a man. We are all still friends and talk pretty regular. A word of advice...when auditioning a musician treat it as an audition. Don't look at just one thing. They may be a nice person but not a good musician. If this is the case then let it be known and cut it off before things get drawn out. Look for the combination that fits the band. Be honest and straight forward. By not doing this is how we ended up in the last situation. Peace.
byrdofpray
new
new

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:41 am

My dad's band accidentally kicked the singer out (they wanted to for ages, but not like this) - they were recording one of their rehearsals, the singer went the toilet and left the tape running - cue the rest of the band slagging him off and moaning about his crapness. poor bloke takes the tape home and plays it in front of his girlfriend..i felt for the dude.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:14 am

This is never easy.

Just be honest and kind. You never know what's in the future. He may one day recomend you to another band. This wont happen if you're cruel.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones