Flying w/ Cymbals

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

atldrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:53 pm

Hey fellow drummers,
I'm flying to do a one off gig in January. Arlene's Grocery in New York! Great to be back playing in the City. They will have a backline kit of New Slingerlands which I'm interested to check out. But, they do not supply cymbals. Have any of you recently flown with your cymbals and was there any problems carrying them on or did you HAVE to check them?
K
Demented Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:45 am

Any carry-on baggage has to meet size and weight requirements. Otherwise it must be checked. At least that`s how it werx here. You could also contact yer airline and ask them. Either way, I hope you have an excellent case for them. I`ve seen and know baggage handlers. They generally don`t give a shit and just toss things around.
Tama GRANSTAR in Nile Blue
PAISTE cymbals
9 pieces of percussion
8-sided Pearl ICON rack
Gilbraltar throne
AHEAD sticks
DrumHead15
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:09 pm

A great trick that I use for traveling with anything these days is to Fedex it. Be it my luggage or whatever, they rarely lost anything and you can track it. I Fedex our luggage and whatever we buy to wherever we are going.
Pearl Masterworks Kit, BRX Kit, two MM Acrylic Kits, Roland V-Drums Kit, SPD-15, SPD-20, Octabans, Gong BD, Full Rototom Kit, 12+Snares, around 100 Paiste's & Various Cymbals: Zildjian, Sabian, drum racks: Pearl, DrumFrame VX1 www.myspace.com/drumhead15
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:55 am

yeah im hopin to move to london. and ive been told to mail my kit to myself for 2 reasons.

A. cheaper than flaying it over
B. they'll look after it!

good luck.
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
DrumHead15
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:39 pm

Right on!
Pearl Masterworks Kit, BRX Kit, two MM Acrylic Kits, Roland V-Drums Kit, SPD-15, SPD-20, Octabans, Gong BD, Full Rototom Kit, 12+Snares, around 100 Paiste's & Various Cymbals: Zildjian, Sabian, drum racks: Pearl, DrumFrame VX1 www.myspace.com/drumhead15
atldrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:46 pm

My only concern with shipping them is that I'm playing in Atlanta the night before and the night after the show. I'm literally flying to NYC, doing the show, crashing on a friend's floor, and flying back to the ATL the next morning. Shipping will probably not be an option with the time crunch. A friend is loaning me an ata case to check them in. I think they'll be cool. If not, that's why I have all my stuff insured. BTW I use MusicProInsurance.com. Great folks, and amazing rates! Don't wait till after it' s too late cause stolen gear does happen. Thanks for the flying ideas. I'm always open to more.
DrumHead15
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:51 pm

Howdy!
The time crunch is a big impact on the shipping option. Can't you rent a set of cyms from S.I.R. NY. I know you can from S.I.R. Miami. Any chance that you have more than one set of cymbals? If you have this situation in Orlando, FL, I would always be happy to assist you and lend some great cymbals. Always willing to help another drummer. I have even given great gigs to a friend of mine that is trying to make a go out of it as a true professional. Good Luck!!! :D
phee
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:38 pm

Just carry them on dude. It's always easier to ask forgiveness than permission. If you're flying Delta, however, they will make you check them even if it makes the flight late. I know many bands that carry their guitars on every flight. Delta is the only airline that I've heard of that doesn't allow it. But if you ask first, probably none of them allow it.