Need to mount snare drum so as to play it with pedal.

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:33 am

I want to mount a 5" deep snare drum so I can play it with a kick drum pedal with a stick attached. Does anyone know how I could do this and what mounts I'd need?
Thanks.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:59 pm

i've been having the idea of doing tht for ages lol only idea i can think of is attaching a stick to your bass pedal with some good quality tape, i tryed it, but it was a bit awkward for me :S
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:52 am

Scott_Hurford wrote:i've been having the idea of doing tht for ages lol only idea i can think of is attaching a stick to your bass pedal with some good quality tape, i tryed it, but it was a bit awkward for me :S

What do you need that for?
Are you Rick Allen or something? :wink:

No, seriously;
I would suggest that you buy a cowbell footpedal bracket in order to get it mounted decently.

Then, I'd get a metal stick in the same diameter as the bassdrum pedal. Then, I'd drill a hole in the centre of a regular drumstick, at least 1/3 of the total length. Then simply tread the drum stick over the afore-mentioned metal stick, and voilla!

(Allthogh Gene Frenkle will not be pleased... :lol: )
ImageImageImage
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:43 am

haha, i may try tht, i love trying new things :lol:
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
barn_animal
new
new

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:34 am

what is the point of this? trying to do channel one suite and u cant do a one handed roll?
FelterSkelter
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue May 08, 2007 5:49 am

Hmmmm.... I'm thinking of doing this with an effect snare now. Thanks for the idea. I'll have to get an X-Hat too.
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue May 08, 2007 6:14 am

very handy if u break your wrist :P *Travis Barker* haha
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
FelterSkelter
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue May 08, 2007 9:29 am

You could open up a whole new world of double pedal workouts, no?
drummert2k

Post Tue May 08, 2007 3:00 pm

i know thomas lang and benny greb along with other do this. but im not sure exactly what they use.

although this is what id do....

get yourself one of those TH-88I tom holders that attatch to the rim and a multi clamp that you can adjust so you can put the multi clamp on a stand with a pearl tube arm going horzonal and the end facing down so you can hang the snare from it. then get yourself a kick pedal anchor and theres some compay out there that makes a beater which holds a drumstick. cant think of the company right not. but there ya have it. playing a snare with a kick pedal.
FelterSkelter
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue May 08, 2007 4:32 pm

drummert2k wrote:i know thomas lang and benny greb along with other do this. but im not sure exactly what they use.

get yourself one of those TH-88I tom holders that attatch to the rim and a multi clamp that you can adjust so you can put the multi clamp on a stand with a pearl tube arm going horzonal and the end facing down so you can hang the snare from it. then get yourself a kick pedal anchor and theres some compay out there that makes a beater which holds a drumstick. cant think of the company right not. but there ya have it. playing a snare with a kick pedal.

There's also a beater that is like the end of "Thunder Rods". Hmmmm......
FelterSkelter
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue May 08, 2007 4:32 pm

FelterSkelter wrote:
drummert2k wrote:i know thomas lang and benny greb along with other do this. but im not sure exactly what they use.

I was thinking of using the timbale snare. It already has a cowbell-like mount attached. As does the jingle snare.
drummert2k

Post Tue May 08, 2007 4:46 pm

FelterSkelter wrote:
FelterSkelter wrote:

I was thinking of using the timbale snare. It already has a cowbell-like mount attached. As does the jingle snare.

jingle snares are fun. that would be a pretty neat thing to play with your left foot or something. you'd get the snare attack and hear the jingles and everyone infront of you would have no idea how you're hitting 2 differant sound sources with your one foot.
FelterSkelter
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed May 09, 2007 4:43 am

drummert2k wrote:
FelterSkelter wrote:
FelterSkelter wrote:

jingle snares are fun. that would be a pretty neat thing to play with your left foot or something. you'd get the snare attack and hear the jingles and everyone infront of you would have no idea how you're hitting 2 differant sound sources with your one foot.
Indeed.....indeed. Now all I need is a crowd.
Piddywiffle
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue May 15, 2007 3:44 am

Maybe something like this might help?

Look up DW bass drum/tom riser at http://www.interstatemusic.com

QUOTE FROM PAGE:
Super sturdy floor tom to bass drum conversion. Will hold any drum from a 20? bass drum to a 14? tom. Will hold odd shaped drums, such as a djembe or conga. Easily folds down to fit with your other hardware. Memory locks allow quick set-up every time.
Falling down the stairs at the age of five was my first drum solo.

"They arn't dirty pants dude... That film is a protective barrier from all other bacterium" Quote from my roommate approx 1 month ago.
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed May 16, 2007 12:12 am

Animal wrote:
Scott_Hurford wrote:i've been having the idea of doing tht for ages lol only idea i can think of is attaching a stick to your bass pedal with some good quality tape, i tryed it, but it was a bit awkward for me :S

What do you need that for?
Are you Rick Allen or something? :wink:

No, seriously;
I would suggest that you buy a cowbell footpedal bracket in order to get it mounted decently.

Then, I'd get a metal stick in the same diameter as the bassdrum pedal. Then, I'd drill a hole in the centre of a regular drumstick, at least 1/3 of the total length. Then simply tread the drum stick over the afore-mentioned metal stick, and voilla!

(Allthogh Gene Frenkle will not be pleased... :lol: )

Something like this bracket might work if you mounted the snare on a RIMS mount.