Drum Fills...

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

erincubus114
new
new
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:05 am
Location: Ohio

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:57 pm

In your opinion, what drummer from what band has the best drum fills? Does anyone have any tips for some good fills? I tend to rush my fills a lot.. it's just a bad habit i have.
dahlgrendrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:54 am
Location: Myersville, MD

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:55 pm

It depends on the music, but here's my list:

College rock: Carter Beauford from DMB
Rock: Chad Smith from RHCP
Prog Rock: Neil Peart from Rush
Prog Metal: Danny Carey From Tool
New Wave of American Metal: Chris Adler
Death Metal: It's a toss up between Kevin Talley, Flo Mournier, and Derek Roddy
Punk: Bill Stevenson on any Black Flag or Decendents record
Jazz: Buddy Rich and Joe Morello(it's a toss up)
User avatar
Homki890
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:40 am
Location: Mo'town

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:47 pm

Tips on filling:

--Don't play more than you need too. These guys you see all the time are blazing away with massive fills and complex rhythms. Truly, it is not needed, and they all started somewhere. Play musical. Play "tasty."

--You can't go wrong with the snare drum. If you have a fill coming up, and you are not sure what to play, that snare is right in front of you. Use it.

--Use the hi-hat to help you. Your left foot can constantly keep a steady 1-2-3-4, or maybe just a 2-4 pattern. It helps not to get off.

--ABOVE ALL ELSE, Keep a steady beat. There is nothing more hated in the world of drumming than a fill that gets off-beat. Drummers have been the time-center for bands. It is us who keeps everyone on the same page. If we are off, then the whole thing is going down in flames. Keep your beats and fills on time. Practice Timing exercises.

Homki890
<a href="http://www.drumroadtrip.com"><img src="http://www.unitedgrooveworkers.com/images/banners/drtbanner.gif" alt="Drum Road Trip Website"></a>
User avatar
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:38 am
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:09 pm

Homki890 wrote:Tips on filling:

--Don't play more than you need too. These guys you see all the time are blazing away with massive fills and complex rhythms. Truly, it is not needed, and they all started somewhere. Play musical. Play "tasty."

--You can't go wrong with the snare drum. If you have a fill coming up, and you are not sure what to play, that snare is right in front of you. Use it.

--Use the hi-hat to help you. Your left foot can constantly keep a steady 1-2-3-4, or maybe just a 2-4 pattern. It helps not to get off.

--ABOVE ALL ELSE, Keep a steady beat. There is nothing more hated in the world of drumming than a fill that gets off-beat. Drummers have been the time-center for bands. It is us who keeps everyone on the same page. If we are off, then the whole thing is going down in flames. Keep your beats and fills on time. Practice Timing exercises.

Homki890


Amen to that, brother.
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
User avatar
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:24 am
Location: Poland

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:22 am

Also make sure that the fill pattern blends well with what the rest of the guys are doing. If they're playing constant 8th notes, don't play triplets etc, it will distort the feel. And there's nothing worse than a fill distorting the feel of the song. It has to blend well to drive the band further.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
User avatar
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:41 am
Location: Norway

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:58 am

Phil Collins, John Bonham, Simon Phillips and Ian Mosley, in no particular order.
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Strychnine Groove
beginner
beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:57 am
Location: North Carolina

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:44 pm

The first one that comes to mind is Jason Rullo who played on the first Symphony-X album. This album is full of awesome fills, and lots of dynamics. Very fluid and graceful.

I gotta agree with dahlgrendrummer on Flo, and Chris Adler.

Also Richard Christy(Death, Iced Earth, etc.)
Dale
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 537
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:21 am
Location: Aus

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:24 pm

Well, the short answer is technical ability developed through the practice of rudiments.

THE most important thing about fills to remember is this: if you play a fill and come out of it out of time, playing the fill was a waste of time!

I cannot stress this enough. There is nothing more hated by other musicians than two things, out of time fills and a beat that falls all over the place and is not steady.

As for what fill to play? Listen to the music. The music will tell you what to play.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
User avatar
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:47 am
Location: Swansea, Wales

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:07 pm

some brillient work i've heard is from Jon Theodore, ex-mars volta drummer, give them a listen, some truly awsome drumming
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
Image
Image
User avatar
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:38 am
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:45 pm

Scott_Hurford wrote:some brillient work i've heard is from Jon Theodore, ex-mars volta drummer, give them a listen, some truly awsome drumming


I'm a huge fan of Jon. I love the mars volta
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
shanemunzert
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 295
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:11 pm
Location: M-town, DE

Post Sun May 13, 2007 7:51 pm

dahlgrendrummer wrote:It depends on the music, but here's my list:

College rock: Carter Beauford from DMB
Rock: Chad Smith from RHCP
Prog Rock: Neil Peart from Rush
Prog Metal: Danny Carey From Tool
New Wave of American Metal: Chris Adler
Death Metal: It's a toss up between Kevin Talley, Flo Mournier, and Derek Roddy
Punk: Bill Stevenson on any Black Flag or Decendents record
Jazz: Buddy Rich and Joe Morello(it's a toss up)


blasphmy. buddy rich kills joe morello. but everyone is entitled to there opinion.
User avatar
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1367
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:57 am
Location: Minneapolis MN

Post Sun May 13, 2007 8:53 pm

the drummer for animosity has some of the coolest fills ive ever scene/heard. He's got some amazing stuff coming up on their new record
User avatar
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:47 am
Location: Swansea, Wales

Post Mon May 14, 2007 5:24 am

Also,
John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
Moby Dick
Good Times bad times
Wholoe lotta love

Keith Moon (The Who)
I can see for miles
Who are you
Wont get fooled again

Dave Grohl (His drumming with Qotsa)
No one knows
Songs for the dead
First it Givith'

Jon Theodore (Ex member of The Mars Volta)
Drunkship of lanturns
Eriatarka
This Apperatus must be unearthed

Chad Smith (RHCP)
Around the world
Jonny kick a hole in the sky
Nobody wierd like me

Some awsome fills are made from these guys. Check them out
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
Image
Image
User avatar
ClintKelly
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:18 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Post Mon May 14, 2007 6:29 am

iatemygoat wrote:the drummer for animosity has some of the coolest fills ive ever scene/heard. He's got some amazing stuff coming up on their new record

I Second That
Image
User avatar
drumsforlife
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 889
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:05 am
Location: Macon, GA

Post Mon May 14, 2007 8:27 am

Sometimes I rush fills a bit. It's because I get excited about how it will sound and I forget to play "with" my band. When that happens, if it's not too bad of a rush, they'll follow me and then flash me a look and I'll back it back down and major disaster is averted. But if it's too much, which doesn't happen that frequently anymore, what I do is slow down the song, and work the fills until they're so slow they bearely make sense. That way, I hear what is played where, and I hear how it fits musically with what the guitars are doing. Then I gradually speed it up until normal tempo. That helps a great bit. There's nothing I play that I don't hear in my head first, so it's just a matter of working out what I'm hearing in my head. As for great drummers doing great fills, try Dave Weckl, John Blackwell, if you can find Prince playing drums, check that out(did you know Prince was a drummer?) Carter Beauford, Dennis Chambers, Chad Wackerman, and just for the hell of it, Terry Bozzio and Mike Portnoy.
Image

I'm part of the brotherhood of like-minded individuals who like to bang on things.