do wood hoops make any difference?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

disrupt13
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:22 am

in sound or anything, im assuming yes, or are they just for looks?
wolfsburg6674
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:16 pm

i used to have a 18x20 bass drum with wood hoops and now i have a 20x22 bass drum with metal hoops and to me it doesnt seem to make a difference...i will admit its also the different sized bass drums but i dont see how a wood hoop would sound different unless youre doing rim knocks or rim shots which you cant do on a bass drum...i could be wrong
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:40 pm

I never really noticed a difference in sound, but I noticed that it's true wood hoops are a little more finicky for tuning, because the wood flexes somewhat. Not much mind you, but it still does relative to anything made from a metal.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Mr. Pants
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:29 pm

Wood hoops on your bass probably aren't goint to make a huge difference. However, I have a 5 x 14 Pearl Free-Floating snare that came with awesome diecast hoops. Sounded really good when I got it.

when I was at Guitar Center one time I noticed a 10 lug wood hoop for a 14 inch snare in the discount bin for $35, so I bit, thinking it wouldn't make that huge of a difference...but I was curious.

I was way wrong. that wood hoop gave such a tremendous amount of power, warmth, crack...whatever I called on, it gave.

I'm looking into getting these for my toms now too.

Just what I've noticed...

Anyone else?

Lants
http://www.myspace.com/casanatrampls

20" Hi-Hats are nothing to be ashamed of...
dahlgrendrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:44 am

A friend of mine has the Yamaha Steve Gad snare with wood hoops, and boy does that mofo CRACK. I was really impressed with how it sounded, it has less boinginess to its sound too.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:42 am

dahlgrendrummer wrote:A friend of mine has the Yamaha Steve Gad snare with wood hoops, and boy does that mofo CRACK. I was really impressed with how it sounded, it has less boinginess to its sound too.

Did you hear it with metal hoops on it to compare? I don't doubt your claim at all. Just want to be sure. :) If the hoops make that much of a difference I'm going to look into them when I order my new snare. I only own and have ever heard wooden hoops on a kick.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Chad Scott
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:08 am

I own a wood & metal hoop snare--Both the same snare drum!
I don't think the drum itself would sound much different because the sond is in the drum, snare & heads, not the hoops---Though rim shots on both are quite different..I think it would be good just to try em out!
I personally won't buy a snare without testing it out first--you may like one way better than another--either way!
good luck![][/i]
just another drummer who wants to become better,learn more and play more than most..
if you can help please do!!
DrumKey
new
new

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:23 am

This will probably be met with much dismissal or "rolled eyes" but my take on wood hoops is that yes, it give you a different sound but more than that it gives the audience or whoever is watching an aesthetic subliminal message. That message is "ooooh wood, the music sounds, feels warmer. For some reason the music sounds better" Think about when you've seen a guy playing wood hoops, the lights are down, candles are lit. . . .oooo that drummer's sound is warm."
Or like David Carr w/Third Day - wood hoops on an Ayotte snare - when he's "choppin' wood" and really getting after it, to me he's just getting a richer warmer sound with he's wood hoop.

That's my take! :wink:
BK
mcneal
new
new

Post Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:08 am

I have played a few snares with wood hoops both in the shop and behind a buddy's kit. Unfortuantely I don't have one. But I want one for sure.
I think the rim knock on wood hoops just sounds better. It seems to me to be more full, almost like a woodblock (real wood, not a jamblock), than a metal hoop.
And yes, I guess there is some visual aesthetic but that is not as important to me.

Cheers.

McNeal
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:46 am

disrupt13 wrote:in sound or anything, im assuming yes, or are they just for looks?

Yes, they do make a great difference. Especially with rimshots and cross stick playing.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones