beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:57 pm

yea i would suggest "groove juice" by promark
pphunk
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:27 am

I was looking at my cymbals last night and thought I might want to take the ink logos off of them. I really like the way old cymbals look without the logos, but in order to do that I'd have to clean my cymbals. Now my crashes and rides wouldn't be so bad as all are somewhat newer and therefore relatively clean already, but my hi-hats are 10 years old and they have a pretty good coating of sweat, blood, tears and possibly some other bodily fluids... :wink: So I'm really hesitant about removing all that character. Esp. since I've heard it will change the sound, I don't know how true that is, but it frightens the hell out of me. They should make some sort of goo that you can put on new cymbals that will give them that worn in look, sound and feel.
AdamJosephKiesling
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:35 pm

It is a very true fact that cleaning your cymbals will indeed change the sound. It does depend on how dirty your cymbals are however. If you have barely dirty cymbals, cleaning won't make a drastic change in sound. If you have very dirty cymbals, they will sound much brighter, possibly with more high overtones than when they were dirty. I own a recording studio, and trust me, cleaning makes a huge difference in sound. The two cleaners I use are 1. Groove Juice, which is good for lightly soiled cymbals. 2. Buckaroo cymbal polish, which takes some elbow grease, but looks amazing when its done right.
fullmetaldrummer87
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:46 pm

I use some brass cleaner on my cymbals. Makes them sound brighter, and takes away all that residue and oil and grease that masks the sound. Epecially cymbals that are really aged and are real dark looking. I aha a couple, took a buffer wheel on a drill and some Brasso and went to town. I tell you what, those cymbals that used to be real black, looked brand new and sounded brand new.
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:59 am

I know this is completely opposite of the subject but I read an interview with Buddy Rich where he said that some of his friends would bury their cymbals in the ground for a couple of days just to get them darker

I have noticed my cymbals brighten up after cleaning them
One of the Zildjian brothers (forget the first name) also reccomended a cleaner called Zud
I used it for a long time
It will eventually take the logos off the cymbals but mine don't last long enough for it to matter
You say irritant, I say catalyst
phil-drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:25 pm

funnily enuff , i cleaned a splash o mien with none other than brown sauce. after leaving the sauce covered cymbal alone for about 2 mines n gave it a gud rinse in the sink , it wasa clean as a whistle, didnt smell of sauce after either, its a cheap alterative to groove juice. waste of gud sauce tho .
Pearl Hardware. Zildjian Cymbals. Vic Firth 7A Sticks. Remo Pintripes/Weatherking Heads
brian
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:39 pm

dont clean them!!!!!
"Two of you sold my wallet,
one of you stole my tie.
Didn't you say that you're wathing?
Do or die!"

Dale Crover-
Dandrum
new
new

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:15 pm

I use Bar Keepers Friend. I have had the best luck with that stuff, and I've been using it for the last few years...It comes in a can that looks like Comet, only yellow. Don't get the "liquid" kind, as it doesn't work near as well.
Tama Granstar Zildjian/Paragon Cymbals.
Hamlin
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:43 am

Some drummers swear by the grime on their cymbals.
Rem
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:23 pm

If your cymbals are really really dirty use sugar soap

if not i use just a small amount of soap warm water on a cloth, but make sure the cloth isnt soaked, just damp
Drumming is my passion.
Recording is a habit.

R.I.P Mitch Mitchell
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:22 am

Rockula! wrote:I know this is completely opposite of the subject but I read an interview with Buddy Rich where he said that some of his friends would bury their cymbals in the ground for a couple of days just to get them darker

I have noticed my cymbals brighten up after cleaning them
One of the Zildjian brothers (forget the first name) also reccomended a cleaner called Zud
I used it for a long time
It will eventually take the logos off the cymbals but mine don't last long enough for it to matter

Our bass player took a vacation to Mexico last week. My ride cymbal took a vacation to the dirt a foot deep in my backyard. I'll let y'all know how she liked it there.
yee freakin' haw