Cleaning Cymbals

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Marki
new
new

Post Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:03 am

Just some quick questions regarding cymbal care. I really like the sound of my cymbals right now, but as I look at them I noticed they have gathered grease from my hands over the years. I imagined that has dulled them some and taken away the brigthness, which I don't mind too much, but I am curuios to see what they would sound like cleaned. Questioned I have is if I cleaned them do you think that would change the sound at all, a little, or not even noticabley? Also, what would you recommend I use to clean them? I have the following) 14" Zildjian New Beat HH, 16" Amir Zildjian, 18" A Custom, 13" Paiste Splash, 20" Zildjian ride (no specific series from what I can tell, but kinda old). Thank you.
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:06 am

Try to ask your question here:

http://www.drumsmylife.com/viewtopic.php?t=30

Actually I don't clean my cymbals so I can't really tell if there is any sound difference at all. Cheers:-)
dim my eyes if they should compromise
juNgle beatZ
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:40 am

I use sabian's cymbal cleaner
revese eNgineeRinG
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:07 am

I only clean my brilliant finish cymbals - Paiste 2002 and Alchemy Professional and I use something called "Dunlop65" - as for the traditional finish cymbals I just wipe them with a soft cloth after each playing :) I think that because I don't clean them their sound gets darker and darker and darker each year... I love it :)
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
screamkevin

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:48 am

I use, and recommend, Zims Cymbal Cleaner. A few tips, though...

Zims is a weak acid. Protect your hands. And, if you like your cymbal logos, be very careful with your scrubbing once you've applied Zims. It will take the logos right off your cymbals if they are inked.

I don't have to worry about that, my new Saludas have etched logos, so they can't rub off.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
caulkie
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:26 pm

look for "groove juice" on ebay.

It is citric based just like zimms that Kev has mentioned above and its not a scourer solution, it will actually protect your cymbals and not leave a paste residue that will take ages to finally get off. It will remove your logo's unless they are etched.

Spray on the groove juice, over a blanket or many layers of newspaper cos your carpet will rot if it hits it. Leave for a while and then take your cymbal to the shower and spray off with warm water....yes warm water...... it works :lol:

click here for groove juice
Nothing is foolproof to a suffciently talented fool
joe_cader
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:19 pm

Barkeepers friend they say works good too.
The first one to the end of the song does NOT get a prize! - Paul D. Haley
TheRhythmest
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:12 pm

Groove juice! by promark!
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:11 am

Just a word of advice on Groove Juice:

Be very careful while using it if you're concerned with the cosmetics of your cymbal besides the logo. Test it out in a small area on the underside, as the bottle suggests. It seriously discolored one of my cymbals. It didn't affect the sound though of course, which is obviously the most important.

I'm sure it doesn't do that with every cymbal, but be careful all the same if you've never used it before. :)

Apparently Sabian cymbals now don't even need cleaner. They recommend soap and water.

Other than that I would recommend using the cymbal cleaner made or endorsed by the company that makes your cymbals.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:37 am

Qbs wrote:I think that because I don't clean them their sound gets darker and darker and darker each year... I love it :)

Sure you don't mean "their sound gets fatter and fatter and fatter each year" or "their sound gets greasier and greasier and greasier each year"...? :lol:

Seriously, you don't clean any of your cymbals? Any time?

I don't clean my cymbals very often myself, but that's mainly due to lazyness! :wink:
ImageImageImage
Jaki
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:45 pm

pour petrol over it and set fire to it and wash the residue left by the petrol off .. ur cymbals cant get any cleaner... no really this actually works.. but dont do it

i give them a dusting once in a while... but there always in there case. . since traverling etc etc ..
Pure Deaththrash
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:48 pm

I don't clean my cymbals. I don't see any difference in sound and they look better with stick marks :]
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:27 pm

I tried the tomato ketchup idea tonight and it had amazing results!

It removed all the grease and fingermarks and also the inside of my nostrils! That stuff really is potent, kinda makes you think twice about eating it.

As for my A Customs, they're looking as shiny as the day I bought them!
joe_cader
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:56 pm

I work in the printing industry running an offset printing press. I use an industry favorite 'Plate Sav-ur'. I just follow the directions on the bottle. I got the idea because cleaning cymbals should be done with something gentle. Recently, I used this stuff on my new AA Sabian's and the pad I was usning turned an oh-so-lite shade of green. I also used it on my over 10 years old Hihats and they looked a lot better. I'm not saying they will be like new, but if you use this stuff you will prolly keep even with the patina fairy. :wink:
The first one to the end of the song does NOT get a prize! - Paul D. Haley
Chazdrums
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:13 am

If you dont clean your cymbols they will get 'darker' and lose some of the overtones. I dont ever clean my cymbols for this reason.

Groove juice is good, so is any cleaner that is made by Zildjian, Sabian, ect.ect.

You should try cleaning them and if you dont like it just have people rub them when they come over, lol. Everytime one of your friends comes over make them touch your cymbols, lol. They will be back to thier state now in no time.
"Almost everything I've done, I've done through my own creativity. I don't think I ever had to listen to anyone else to learn how to play drums. I wish I could say that for about ten thousand other drummers."

-----Buddy Rich