Do you warm up before getting on stage? How?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:20 am

Those two guys above could always mix Gatorade and whiskey and see what happens. :D

I like to play some rudiments on a pad or pillow.

Or chat up women.

If the women have taste, I go back to practicing rudiments. :(
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:33 am

Dale wrote:If the women have taste, I go back to practicing rudiments. :(

haha, that's pretty funny :)
dim my eyes if they should compromise
HealWithDrums
new
new

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:22 am

Well instead of preaching my methods, Ill just say I normally play with Vater Fusion sticks. Its a nice balance between a 3A and a 7A feel. I will warm up for about 30 minutes before going on using the sole of my shoe and my Vater Nightsticks! For those who dont know, the Nightsticks are the equivalent of VF CorpMasters. And I also drink 3-4 pitchers of water before and during my set.
I dream of Spaun!
catkel
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:36 pm

I just do the rudiments
m
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:41 pm

I'd like to have a warm-up regiment, but soundcheck has always been my only pre-show prep. I'm taking notes on the suggestions here...

I did quite a double-take when I saw that shots and tokes were cool but Gatorade was anathema! :wink:
DRUMZILLA
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:44 pm

I DONT USUALLY WARM UP WIT STICKS, BUT I STRETCH ALL MY LIMBS AND TORSO. I HAVE FOUND OUT THAT IT HELPS ME ALOT.
beatkitchen
new
new

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:43 pm

I do a whole bunch of different stretches that I have developed over the years.... I just recentley did a videocast demonstrating some of them.... here's the video for those interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz6-sOt14Ho

And here is a link to the actual webcast site:
http://beatkitchentutorials.blogspot.com/
(.... please note at the time of posting this link the blogger server seems to be having some internal problems).

Hope this helps!
eshan
www.beatkitchen.de
Bebopdrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:22 pm

I usually do the same stretches that I do before playing golf.
I make sure my back, thighs, calves, and shoulders are loose. I don't overdo my arms or hands because I don't wanna take the chance of injury.
I usually play a little light jazz like "Take Five" and "Blue Rondo ala Turk" because it's relaxing and "Walk This Way" to check my hats out. I also play an Art Blakey type shuffle.
I'm 54 years old so this is VERY important! :wink:
Michael "Lick" Pollock
dugdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 pm

stretch,stretch,stretch :D
drummer for HEY YOU a tribute t pink floyd!

hug it out bitch!
Damian_Arletto
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:00 am

Before every show I have a ritual I must go through, 5 beers, 2 shots of Patron (silver), and a couple of bong hits. Then I'm good to go.
Hit it hard. Hit it fast and beat it like you own it.
http://www.myspace.com/janesdamian
doozerdrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:17 pm

i strech for about 15 mins and then go at it.
ddrum maple
ludwig snare
Zildjian/sabain
Aqaurian heads
Factory metal percussion
Endorsering Silverfox sticks

Coming soon C&C Drum kit
charlesp
new
new

Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:16 am

I take two sticks and grab each end with one hand. Then do an inside-out twist thing onece with starting with the right hand and once with the left. Each time I extend the arms out and let things stretch and fall into place. Depending on how "fresh" I feel I may also bend over and let my body hang for a bit with the arms still in the twisted position. Then some warmup for my mind and hands by playing a set of paradiddles 2 four stroke then 2 6 stroke then 2 8 stroke and back to 2 etc. until I get to the speed I want and don't have to think hard about going through thte progression.
Check out my weekly Schultzian Motion drumcasts on iTunes
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:04 pm

i dont warmup as much as some people. but for my area i warm up alot more than most drummers. i typicaly do some stuff kinda a loose solo and use my soundcheck to warmup. then right before we go on. bout 3-4 mins. i dust my hands with pool chalk(if its a long set) and do some basic stretches, and pop my knuckles. not much in detail. i mean. my band doesnt play anythign incredibly difficult. but my solo stuff is another story. before a solo gig/session . i ty picaly set my kit up. do the same as a gig warmup. but i do a few pushups, a couple situps, maybe run around the building or somethin. and graba big ass bottle of watter.
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
weeksj
new
new

Post Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:58 pm

with fist grip i hold one stick poiting up have the other one facing down. then i spin my wrist as fast as possible in a sort of helicopter motion. this makes my wrists ultra floppy. i find this very important cuz otherwise i get carpel tunnel. also some basic stretches of the legs back and shoulders.
Waylon
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:23 am

I warm up w/ a real feel pad doing rudiments, doubles, singles and then just fast crazy imporvised soloing on the pad and I have a couple beers. My adrenaline is always way up at this point and I feel like a racehorse champing at the bit becuz I wanna ROCK! It's a balance between some nervous energy and confidence in knowing the material so well and just a positive/aggressive mindset that has one goal: to give the best show ever every night.
I love that feeling. I use the anticipation feeling as positive/aggressive energy to drive the band. You know what I mean and it's pure magic...It's why we do it. There is nothing like that feeling and I a totally addicted to it.
DRumn4life
www.scotaylor.com
Scott (Way)
Drumn4life, Drumn4life,Drumn4life,Drumn4life,
Drumn4life, Drumn4life, Drumn4life