Do you warm up before getting on stage? How?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

jopep
new
new

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:21 am

Every gig always excites me. An hour before my band starts i do warm up by stretching side by side my arms before i sit on my kit. If its a 3 or more hours show, sometimes i take energizers in the middle of the gig then continue to rock on.
TrunJun
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:48 am

Heres usually what I do before I warmup for a gig...

First thing is I usually go through a rudiment regiment for about five minutes (ruffs, paradiddles, single strokes, gravity strokes, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 stroke double rolls and paradiddle rolls) using just sticks, a towel and a flat surface. One thing you can do to make sure that your wrists are maintaining elasticity is to pick up your tips after you make the stroke. Make sure you play loud enough to be audible, but light enough to define your strokes. The next thing is to do it with your feet.

One of the best things you can do before you play is actually to go on a little run for fifteen minutes or so (a little trick I stole from Dave Silveria from Korn). Getting your heart rate up and your blood pumping is a very essential part of flexibility while playing. Always make sure to stretch LIGHTLY before you start your warmup and then stretch HEAVILY after you finish it. Stretch your calves/thighs and your forearms/biceps/deltoids and stay loose.

Another thing I find helps a lot is to listen to drumming that is under your playing ability (easy for you to perform). Bands with great solid drummers with simple rudiments will reinforce your playing mentally. My personal favorite pre-gig drummers are Morgan Rose (Sevendust) and Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater, but I honestly prefer Liquid Tension Experiment). I find that if I listen to drummers like Dave Haley (Psycroptic), KC Howard (Decrepit Birth), Derek Roddy (who the fuck knows now-a-days) and George Kollias it mentally intimidates me and I play a bit more sloppy. Save the crazy drumming for when you can focus on it and practice it up and become comfortable with technique of playing above 200 BPM.

Really, the most important thing is to be mentally prepared and to get that heart of yours pumping that skin-beating blood. Drink a shot, smoke some pot (legal where I live, HA HA), do whatever it is you need to do to get yourself in the mindframe to kick ass on the stage (although some people play worse when innebriated. I, fortunately, am NOT one of those people). Really, the most important thing you do AFTER you get on stage is to just HAVE FUN. If you're not having fun banging the shit out of your kit, then odds are that the audience is NOT having fun watching you.

Hope this helps.

Also, check this site out for some good riffs to use and to maybe get some ideas for playstyle.

www.derekroddy.com (go to media, then see the free videos)

Hail Satan
TrunJun of Before The Reign and Synesthesia
TrunJun
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:53 am

also, check out my sick metalcore/death metal band. we dont have tunes up just yet, but soon we'll be recording our song "Come Murder" and it will be up on this site.

www.myspace.com/beforethereign

www.myspace.com/priziest_horse

the second link is my personal myspace. feel free to add a young cat and talk some drumming with me!
Its not even that hard to play, its just hard to count! Fuck it!
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:00 am

I practice Chi Kung and Kung Fu. I'm serious. :)

It gives me tons of energy, gets everything flowing great, and always puts me in a happy and relaxed state. Then I'm ready to hit the drums.

Warmup on the kit I usually start off with some snare rudiments and then slowly work my way around the toms. Then I start bringing my feet in, maybe play some patterns like a Rhumba or something around the toms while keeping the feet going on the kick and hats, and then eventually bring hats or ride into it once I have a nice groove going.

And I have plenty of water and gatorade handy.
Last edited by Johnny Cat on Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:01 am

Not so much. I like to stretch my wrists a little and "let my hands bond with the sticks". I have these push/pull things I do that allow my fingers to realize their function for the next few hours.
Adonis2121
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:01 am

I actually will loosen up during the sound check before we go on.
myspace.com/charettamusic
drums-Drum Workshop Lavender to Black Burst w/black hardware
cymbals-Anything that sounds good!
pedals-DW 9002
Hardware-DW
sticks-Vic Firth 5A (endorser)
TrunJun
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:06 am

By the way, gatorade is a big NO NO. Because of the contents of those sports drinks, you can actually dehydrate yourself more than you hydrate. Water is VERY important, and ONLY WATER. Dont drink anything else except filtered, clean, crisp, great tasting h2o!

Seriously, water is where its at. Get yourself a three liter canteen and haul it with you EVERYWHERE.
TrunJun
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:11 am

Also one thing I forgot to mention is to warmup your lungs. One of the best things to keep in mind (with any musician) is that your lungs are NOT MUSCLES. Your diaphragm is the muscle that is used to draw in and expel oxygen, so breathe with your STOMACH and not with your CHEST. Make your belly fat like santa clause when you inhale instead of puffing out your upper torso. It will increase the flow of oxygen to your brain and you will notice an increase in your ability to pre-play what you are going to play next mentally. Hope all my ranting helps

Hail Satan
The TrunJun of Before the Reign
clatterdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:19 am

We have a little over 800 pounds of gear to move out of the trailer, into the venue, unpack, set up and put on stage. If we play first, I'll play on my practice pad for 15 minutes before we go on. If we play second, it means the hyper quck change out, and that is enough to get my heart rate up and really get the blood pumping, which goes right in with jogging , tai chi, or any other physicl activity right before going on.
smooth
new
new

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:39 am

I usually just play 32nd singles on my lil practice pad to sort of get my hands n fingers warmed up, then onto some rudiments like paradiddles and flams, then a bit of stretching... that's about it i guess.

Oh, a shot of tequila before a set is always good for me ;)
Because you touch yourself at night
awsguy666
new
new

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:44 am

Well I usually just jog around the venue to get the blood flow, then run through my set at 3 speeds: half time (slow), CD actual speed, then Double Time (2x faster). Just to loosen up. After I'm done I stretch out and play a sweet gig!

It's all about having fun and being on point!
-Steve-o
Repeating.Goodbye!
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:07 am

TrunJun wrote:By the way, gatorade is a big NO NO. Because of the contents of those sports drinks, you can actually dehydrate yourself more than you hydrate. Water is VERY important, and ONLY WATER. Dont drink anything else except filtered, clean, crisp, great tasting h2o!

Seriously, water is where its at. Get yourself a three liter canteen and haul it with you EVERYWHERE.

I've never EVER had a problem with Gatorade. I don't know where you're getting your info, and maybe it applies to some people, but I can tell when I'm dehydrated, and Gatorade has never done it. Depends on your entire physiology, and not everyone is the same. Different strokes for different folks. :)
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Remo and Evans Drumheads
iamwhatiam
new
new

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:43 am

here my pre gig warm up.
first of all smoke no more than a couple of spliffs.
then drink 2 pints.
essentially pull all the way along my arms and calfs. putting a fair bit of pressure with the thumb. (i was taught this by some chi loving guy)
then just a general stretch of everything. and then buy the third pint.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:50 am

iamwhatiam wrote:here my pre gig warm up.
first of all smoke no more than a couple of spliffs.
then drink 2 pints.
essentially pull all the way along my arms and calfs. putting a fair bit of pressure with the thumb. (i was taught this by some chi loving guy)
then just a general stretch of everything. and then buy the third pint.

Best one yet! :lol:
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Remo and Evans Drumheads
TrunJun
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:36 am

trust me man, you may not feel it, but it definetly does dehydrate you. colleges have been studying it for years and I learned this from my old AA hockey coach. Just stick to water, its way better for you anyways. If you think gatorade/powerade will help, trust me because it wont. Water is MUCH better for you. It will also make you feel better than drinking any sport drink. The only thing I drink before a show besides water (and of course whiskey, which i use water to balance out the dehydrating effects of alcohol with) is the occasional Red Bull.