No votes
Other
3%

Total votes: 31
clatterdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:45 am

I switched to Ahead sticks 5 1/2 years because I felt bad about the rate at which I went through wood sticks. One pair of wood every 2 weeks, as opposed to one pair of Ahead every 2 years. Of course I go through lots of the plastic sleeves, which aren't recyclable and are petroleum based. I read about Unigrip's Bamboo sticks and thought they looked really cool. Bamboo is fast growing and very durable and seems like a great material to use for sticks. However, Unigrip discontinued their line of Bamboo sticks after a lack of interest from the public, and also mentioned that other companies did not like the idea of Bamboo sticks because of the durability. Has anyone ever tried Bamboo sticks?
Buddylee78
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:30 am

i use kind of an untapped source for sticks and i know there are many guys against this and i was to until i tried them for myself
Sound Percussion 7A -
cheapest sticks i've ever bought but some of the most durable. i used to play with vic firth extreme 5 A and switched on a lack of money to buy a pair -
and i know that their sticks are warped, bent, etc - but i have a buddy who works where i get em and he lets me go through every stick and pick out only the good ones - so sorry to all of you who shopped after me and bought sp 7a's cause you got the absolute worst of the bunch.
mikebodrums
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:41 am

i have tried just about every kind of stick know to man and i just can not live with out wood sticks if you are a true sound nut you can just tell that wood sticks have a more natural sound vs. the ahead sticks have a sloppy kinda unnatural sound..
carnavalero
new
new

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:01 am

I use different sticks for different situations. I just switched from Vater Sessions to Pro-Mark 5 A naturals (I'm enjoying them), for general purpose (pop, blues) gigs. I also use Pro-Marks MJZ-7's for lighter gigs, (jazz, piano trio stuff). And for the heavier gigs, I use Vater power 5A's.....
All wood, all the time........
"click", 2,3,4, "click" 2,3,4.......
CooknessMunster
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:14 am

I use Vic Firth Dave Weckell series sticks w/ wood tips. Plastic tips always fly off for me. This stick is just the right weight that I break the stick before the cymbal. I warm up with these munster marching sticks then switch those and fly
Kelly
new
new

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:32 am

I used Ahead 5A Joey Jordison Signature sticks Im afraid. Even if they weren't JJ Signature, Id still use Ahead as I prefer them to any others inve tried.
bdadrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:51 am

I use PEACE, Funkalicious sticks because they are very durable and they are a bit longer then the average stick. I also like how they are thin, but still have weight to them.
Peace Drums
Peace Pedals
Zildjian Cymbals
Peace Sticks
Peace Heads

I Would LOVE An Endorsement
Demented Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:15 am

Kelly wrote:I used Ahead 5A Joey Jordison Signature sticks Im afraid. Even if they weren't JJ Signature, Id still use Ahead as I prefer them to any others inve tried.

I have to agree. THey do have a nice feel to them. THey don`t break very easily; the bead don`t fly off them; the bead doesn`t square off. It`s inexpensive to replace a sleeve or a bead. The response from them is consistent, as is the sound.

As a wooden stick wears, the sound changes. You can hit the bell with a flat spot on a wooden bead and get a shitty sound. Then you have to turn the stick, while maintaining the groove and timing to get a better spot. There`s where the AHEAD sticks rise to power: quality and consistency!

I tried a few different pairs out but the JJs were the ones that felt right. I added some AHEAD grip tape and love them. I can`t see me ever changing sticks, until of course, they end up being discountinued (like anything else of quality)!

...and that`s my 2 cents!
Tama GRANSTAR in Nile Blue
PAISTE cymbals
9 pieces of percussion
8-sided Pearl ICON rack
Gilbraltar throne
AHEAD sticks
Chas
new
new

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:29 am

I use REGAL TIP 5A Wood Sticks. I was using Vic Firth and Pro-Mark up until around august. I noticed how many sticks I was going through on a weekly and monthly basis and decided that was way too much money to be spending. A guy at a music store turned me on to the Regal Tips and I have not broken one yet. They have wore out and become unusable but at least they have been lasting much longer....
65Premier
new
new

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:30 am

Definitely ALL WOOD, ALL THE TIME. I have tried plastic sticks for a brief period of time when I first started and was going through sticks a lot...not worth it. I vary depending on the music style as I am sure most drummers do. I have nylon tipped Zildjian 5As that I use some times for the Praise band. For about 95% of the time in the church I use a heavier version of Pro-Mark's Hot-Rod line called Lightning Rods. I am considering giving the Thunder-Rods a try soon. I am also using some older sticks for the Blues band I'm in (too cheap to buy new) from Tama called Power Tools. I am trying to find something with the same feel and length (or longer). Any suggestions send to cntrlengr@hotmail.com - Thnx!
DRUMZILLA
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:33 am

I AM CURRENYLY USING PRO MARK CARTER BEAUFORD SIGNATURE STICKS OR 747 WOOD TIPS. I LIKE THE LENGTH WITHOUT HAVING TO MOVE UP TO A LARGER DIAMETER STICK. IT GIVES ME THE STICK CONTROL I NEED PLUS THE POWER IF I CHOOSE TO TURN IT ON. I USED TO USE PLASTIC TIPS BUT WOOD SEEMS TO FEEL BETTER TO ME.
xceldrumsticks
new
new

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:41 am

I have been in the drum sticks bussness for 5 years plaing drums for over 30 years. No company have better wood we all get the wood from the same area but some companys weed out the bad wood and sell to others i burn mine.Wood is very unstable it warps from dry to humid weather lets face it its only wood so all drum sticks are pretty much the same torry
usmdrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:48 pm

I use Pro Mark 747 nylon tip when I play pop/swing style for a local high school or at a local church. Playing with my rock band I play Nova Rock model w/ nylon tip. I get a brick of the Nova sticks from Musicians Friend online for cheap and they are great. Very reasonble price for 10 pair brick. I record with wood tips but prefer the nylon for everything else. I can't stand when the wood tips start breaking pieces off. They sound bad on the cymbals then.
Will
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:20 pm

I use wood, can't stand Ahead anymore they just feel weird... and they snapped in half :s
JohnDrake
new
new

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:52 pm

As my main stick, I've used Vic Firth 5A with a Nylon tip for years. A handy 'tip' is to remove the nylon tip when you get them and put a glob of superglue inside the tip and then put it back on... The tips will never fly off and you get that bright sound for eons.

PS. I don't work for VF!