bass drum rebound vs spring tension

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Yoda
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:41 am

One way to combat the excess rebound from a tightly tuned Bass Drum is to combat the responce not from the spring side, or the skin side but from the only thing left.....the beater. If i tighten my skin to give a particular tone that i like but it gives me too much rebound then i swap my beater for a felt beater or even a fluffy type beater, this effectively 'soaks up' the excess vibrations from the head to give a nice single note and a good feel back through the pedal.

Try it and see, you may find you like it! lol

All the best

Yoda

http://www.cybadrummers.com
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:13 pm

I've been reading some of the posts and I'm a little surprised to find out how many drummers said they keep the spring really tight.
This is unnecessary wasted effort in my opinion. Why fight the resistance of spring tension and let the pedal play you. I want to be in control of my strokes...a tight spring does it's own thing.
rebound is a result of striking the head not spring tension.
Also, how can you get power and speed when you're fighting a tight spring?
I guarantee by increasing the beater angle, which causes a longer stroke, you'll get much more power and volume.
Watch a Simon Philips or Tommy Aldridge video. Their foot work appears effortless.
I tend to keep the spring moderately loose and the beater is about5 to 6 inches from the head.
I have sat in on a kit that had a tight pedal and I hated it...It totally cramped my style.
:?: