axis double pedal?

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

m
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:59 pm

I've got both, but from different generations. I'm not sure if they're doing anything different since I got mine, but on my models the main differences are:

variable drive lever on A only:
allows the player to obtain the feel of any type of pedal with one simple adjustment, changes the ratio of the footboard movement to the arc of the beater.

Strap Assembly — featured on all AXIS X series.
The fixed point strap assembly differientates the X pedal from the A series. Perfect for the player who doesn't want to be concerned with anything more than perfect performance.

actually, other than that the only difference on mine, as shown in the website pics, is that the pedalboards are narrower on the A than the X. Not sure if they're still doing that, but that's how they look on the page too...

http://axispercussion.com/pedals.html
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:26 am

Does that really make a difference? I haven't changed anything in my cobras for about two years now. I pretty much have everything set standard and the spring tension is as far as it will go(which is still very smooth and light for me).
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
m
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:42 am

It changes the footboard angle a bit, and that does alter the feel. I've experimented with settings throughout its range, and you can definitely feel a difference.
bustanutt
new
new

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:43 am

The Axis pedals are sweet, but don't buy anything else from them. I also have an Axis snare stand, snare basket (for rack mounting), and hi-hat stand, and they all rusted in the first week just from humidity. The paint is cheap and scratches off easily. The clutch on the hi-hat stand is cheap plastic. I had to wrap tape around the threads to slow it from un-screwing.
Zildjian
Gibraltar
Axis
Ludwig
Vic Firth/Ahead
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:53 pm

bustanutt wrote:The Axis pedals are sweet, but don't buy anything else from them. I also have an Axis snare stand, snare basket (for rack mounting), and hi-hat stand, and they all rusted in the first week just from humidity. The paint is cheap and scratches off easily. The clutch on the hi-hat stand is cheap plastic. I had to wrap tape around the threads to slow it from un-screwing.

What rusted? They are made of aluminum... and the "paint" you're talking about... it's anodized aluminum! My hi-hat stand is like 10 years old and while it looks like it's been used for ten years, there's no paint to wear off. What are you talking about?
SabianLudwigZildjianDW
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:46 pm

built very well but doesnt fit my needs. i prefer DW but hey they are still nice but overpriced
Damagedrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:43 am

I was playing for like 4 years on Iron Cobra's when I decided to buy Axis Pedals. Also because of their reputation. in the beginning I had to get used to the feel of the pedals due to the direct link from the pedal too the beater. It's played very light, but in the end I hated it. The first thing I had to replace was the connection shaft between the two pedals. So I did. The pedal was working fine again. But the driveshaft consists of a round shaft in a round shaft. 3 inbus-screwes hold them in place, but it just doesn't work. No matter how tight I would screw the bolts on, the shaft would always shift. And to make things worse you can't screw them so tightly because the housing of the screws is of aluminium..wich is soft. Then I had to get like 6 different imbus-screwdrivers to take apart the complete pedal, because there are like 6 different sizes of screws used in the pedal. They were of course all american inch-sizes, so when I finally got the right set of tools, I found out that I had to buy at least a dozen of each size, because the drivers would wear down in a matter of a few times use. Then I had a few times that some parts of the pedal came loose during playing and I was done with axis. I traded it in for some new cobra's and The minute I played with the cobra's again, I was like, yeah, this is what I missed. I have never had any problems with Iron Cobra's, except for the usual little maintenence things.

So ups and downs in my experience:

+
They play very light and with great ease, ones you get used to the feel of the pedal. Wich took me about 2/3 weeks, because I was so used to cobra's.
One's they stand, they stay in place, due to the pieces of...(I don't know the english word for klittenband) Anyhow, it holds your pedal in place on a rug for example.

--
Very hard to memorylock the parts, due to screws on round tubes.
Screws locked in aluminium too tight, f*ck up the alluminium of your pedal!! NOT the screwes of course.
You need a few different drivers to take the pedal apart, instead of just one regular drumkey used by most pedals.

I never heard anything bad about axis, but unfortunatly this was my experience.
taataataataatatatatadakadakadakadakadak!
meta L ucas
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:38 am

you'd be better off hunting down a TRICK PRO-1 V BIGFOOT double pedal. thats TRICK's take on the longboard. the only problem for me is that i can't even find them ONLINE. very hard to come by.
double bass ludwig classic maples. blastbeats over swiss triplets.
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:35 pm

meta L ucas wrote:you'd be better off hunting down a TRICK PRO-1 V BIGFOOT double pedal. thats TRICK's take on the longboard. the only problem for me is that i can't even find them ONLINE. very hard to come by.

Call Trick directly to order a bigfoot, it's a brand new design and it's hard to find from a retailer.
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:35 am

axis pedals are fast in the way that they will accually keep up with your blistering speeds as opposed to anything else (aside from a dw 9000 or a trick) will lag behind and give you a sluggish feel. they are the best pedals iv ever played and i wouldnt think of buying anything else. they are a pain in the ass to ajust tho and the fact that they are made of aluminum makes them very lights but also the metal is soft. the only bad thing about that is teyre a bit more prone to stripping if you overtighten them. so dont. the difference between the axis x and the a is an ajustabe drive on the A where as the x is fixed. you can read about it on the azis website. i do the worlds fastest drummer contest for the feet and they use strictly axis
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
Howepirate

Post Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:36 pm

Shalaq wrote:I've got a question. What are the differences between the Axis A and Axis X pedals? The only one I can see is that the beater is different.

VDL - variable drive lever

Basically instant footboard adjustment without beater moving only available on the A series...x series is same thing just without that touch