axis double pedal?

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

drummer_dude9164
new
new

Post Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:55 pm

i want to save for a new pedal, and those axis pedals really look nice, and have a great reputation among death metal drummers, so you know they gotta be fast. if any of you own or have used them, are they worth the money? or should i buy the pearl eliminator. those are my options.
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:47 pm

I wouldn't say the pedals are fast- those drummers are fast. Axis won't make you fly on you kicks. They are only built in a way not to slow you down.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Xfactor
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:37 am

Axsis makes really nice pedals...they are built extremely well and in my opinion are they best double pedal on the market today. They are very smooth and will last forever. The cost of course( as any high quality item) is higher thank most would like.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:55 am

I don't own them but I've used them a lot to try them out before I do buy them. They are extremely rugged. It's true, they won't make you play faster, but they will help because they are so light and comfortable, and anything like that can only help your playing. They are lighter than any other pedal I've ever played, except for ones that are so cheap they'll break from the abuse. And you can get the longboard attachment which is great for making heel-toe playing more comfortable.

I'm looking at buying the AX-X2 because it's a superb pedal, it's lighter than the DW9000 and like the DW9002, you can also split this one into two independent pedals, which is a great bonus. I have two kicks, but sometimes I want to take a smaller setup out to play, but still have double bass. For my money I think they're totally worth it.
Last edited by Johnny Cat on Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
m
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:57 am

I've been gigging with mine for a couple of years now and they're holding up well.
I'm not a death-metaller, but I really like the Axis pedals.
They've been a hit in the studio too.

I was about to buy the Pearl Eliminators, but found a good deal on Axis. I've got an X, an A Longboard, and a double-A and they all feel great. The Sonic Hammer beaters are really nice too, although they look kind of strange.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:25 am

On top of the Axis pedals, here's something else you might want to consider: the Lightspeed pedal made by Mark Ross. It's serious competition for the Axis.

Check it out:

http://www.mrpdrums.com/pedals/pedals.php
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Remo and Evans Drumheads
disrupt13
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:39 am

ive never played with axis per se, but i have tapped em, they are smooth, real smooth, i got elims and i like em alot, but the thing is, its not the pedals, its the people.
druminzeetobaccofade
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:51 pm

I know a guy in Oklahoma city that plays in a extremely technical speed metal band I think their page is www.myspace.com/brokenflesh

The drummer is one of the baddest dudes I've ever seen in metal. He just switched to the AXIS pedal "Long boards" and he loves em.

He said they were hard to control because they were too fast initially, but he's got em dialed in now and loves em.

If you want major speed than go for the AXIS.

Hope that helped man.
I'm in a metal band out of Oklahoma, stop by if your interrested in checking it out..

www.myspace.com/against72

Noble & Cooley (www.noblecooley.com)

Trick pedals (www.trickdrums.com)
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:19 am

disrupt13 wrote:ive never played with axis per se, but i have tapped em, they are smooth, real smooth, i got elims and i like em alot, but the thing is, its not the pedals, its the people.

I agree for the most part that you have to be good yourself first, but one pedal that's lighter than another CAN give you that extra edge. It's just simple physics. I remember seeing a video where technical death metal drummer George Kollias was demonstrating his foot technique at a clinic, and that guy is SUPER fast on his feet. He owns and uses AXIS, but the pedals the store gave him to demonstrate his technique while not at his own kit were the Pearl Eliminators. He was still really fast and his technique is great, but he wasn't quite where he is when he's using his AXIS pedals, and he even said in the video that he can't play as fast on those pedals.

Check it out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA4Sq0mqU-k
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Remo and Evans Drumheads
disrupt13
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:51 am

ive seen that video, but im sure hes been playing before axis came out, so he had to have an edge already, alot of the guys who are super fast use axis, or trick, trick a new company from what i understand, John Longstreth uses them, hes in Origin, they are brutal, and he says they got good customer service. but one thing is with george is he uses the "swivel technique" which is keeping your toues in the right place, but using your heel end to switch from left to right, and use ankles not legs.... it works, i cant do it fast but its kinda fun.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:55 am

disrupt13 wrote:ive seen that video, but im sure hes been playing before axis came out, so he had to have an edge already, alot of the guys who are super fast use axis, or trick, trick a new company from what i understand, John Longstreth uses them, hes in Origin, they are brutal, and he says they got good customer service. but one thing is with george is he uses the "swivel technique" which is keeping your toues in the right place, but using your heel end to switch from left to right, and use ankles not legs.... it works, i cant do it fast but its kinda fun.

Very good point. Cheers dude! :) I never disagreed with the fact that it's the drummer first. I just think the pedal can make a bit of a difference. But it's definitely not good if people buy a pedal thinking it's going to make them faster.

I'm gonna start working on George's technique soon using the 16 week program exercises on his site. Going to be a lot of hard work of course, I know that for sure. It looks so great though because he does appear so relaxed when he's just using the ankles. Easier said than done though obviously. The man's been mastering that technique for years. In no way am I saying I'll be as good as him, but who knows with hard work right?
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Remo and Evans Drumheads
drummer_dude9164
new
new

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:03 pm

thank you everyone for your feedback! im quite aware that these pedals themselves will not make me the next Roddy, or Kollias, but they will cetainly help. i think im gonna go ahead and save up for the Axis Longboards.
thanks!
disrupt13
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:50 pm

you will have to let me know how that excercise goes, im curious to know how well it works...
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:42 pm

disrupt13 wrote:you will have to let me know how that excercise goes, im curious to know how well it works...

I will for sure, IF anything comes of it. I may not have any luck with it at all. And then who's to say if it's the lesson, or simply my lack of ability? But if it works out for the good I will let you know. Regardless, I really have neglected working both of my feet, so something has to be done.
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:50 am

I've got a question. What are the differences between the Axis A and Axis X pedals? The only one I can see is that the beater is different.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php