Seat height

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

METALCHRIS
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:20 pm

I was doing some pre-production, and the producer(also a drummer...GREAT!!) said if I raised my seat up it might help some ISSUES i was having

I have been playing for about 12 yrs or so with the throne pretty much as low as it would go. I tried it the way he wanted, it will take time to adjust.

Just wondering what height you guys play at?
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:49 pm

I sit fairly high on the stool, I'll say.

I'm about 186 cm's high, and my drum-stool is adjusted to the point were my thighs angle slightly downwards.

I find it easier than the "usual" way to position your drum-stool, whitch is basically way too low.
ImageImageImage
drummert2k

Post Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:57 pm

seat height is mostly personal preferance. although sitting with your leg as close to a 90 degree anlge as possible gives you an even balance between playing heel up and heel down, you have to just mess around to see whats most comfortable. i personaly sit with my leg a little higher than a 90 degree angle but i also do very little heal down work. just mess around with it and see what feels best to you. its all about feeling comfortable.
ROCKET SHELLS SKETCH
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:17 pm

i sit less than a foot off the ground,more more of a visual thing
MAPEX DRUMS/Tama Drums/PEARL HARDWARE

EVANS/ATTACK DRUM HEADS

ALESIS,DDRUM,

ZILDJIAN/ISTANBUL CYMBALS

VATER PERCUSSION
Chad Scott
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:42 pm

METALCHRIS wrote:I was doing some pre-production, and the producer(also a drummer...GREAT!!) said if I raised my seat up it might help some ISSUES i was having

I have been playing for about 12 yrs or so with the throne pretty much as low as it would go. I tried it the way he wanted, it will take time to adjust.

just another drummer who wants to become better,learn more and play more than most..
if you can help please do!!
Rip
new
new

Post Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:51 pm

if i feel my abs tighten to play my bass drum, I'm too low. I like my thighs parrallell but slightly downward and my snare and floor tom high enough to not hit my legs. I want all my energy to transfer into my arms and feet and not used for sitting at the kit.
Rip Fantastic!
phelandrum@yahoo.com
myspace.com/phelandrum
myspace.com/darbyrocks
downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:05 pm

I sit with my legs slightly angled down(almost straight).

My snare is 1 1/2 inches higher(as well as my mounted tom)so,that way it is comfortable to get good rim-shots with out having to have my arms way up in the rafters.

What is comfortable is right! :twisted:
Taye:Rock Pro Classic Rock 5 Piece
Sabian:Cymbals
Tama & Pearl:Hardware
Evans:Drum heads
Vader:Fat Back 3A Sticks & Slick-Nuts
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:09 pm

Seat height has to do with one's center of gravity. I am 6'4" and sit at the lowest position a regular throne will allow me to. (personal choice- Roc-n-Soc)

I find that shorter drummers tend to sit higher, as their center of gravity is slightly different. Then again, there's such issues as how long your legs are, if you have a longer torso, etc.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:37 pm

I came from playing bass guitar, where it 'looks cooler' to sling your guitar low, so they said. However, that really impedes technique.

I could see where it might be similar with throne height.
I haven't really examined all the diffferences- but I know I'm comfortable sitting higher, not lower.
mikey
new
new

Post Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:39 pm

A good position that seems to work well with most body mechanics is sitting at just above 90 degrees, so that when you fully lift up your heel your thigh is level. But hey... this is music... do what feels good to ya
Copelandesque
new
new

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:03 am

Im a Puny 5'9" . i have my seat so my thighs run parralel to the floor. and that my legs are at a 90 degree angle. I play a bit of double pedal, but aint dave lombardo.. so my legs arent getting tight or strained.
RRLL RRLL RLRR LRLL LRRLR RLLRL LLLR LLL
RRR LLRL LLLLR LLLLLLLRRRRRRR LLRR.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:06 am

METALCHRIS wrote:I was doing some pre-production, and the producer(also a drummer...GREAT!!) said if I raised my seat up it might help some ISSUES i was having

I don't think anyone else has asked, but what kind of issues exactly are you having? Changing your seat height could very well do the trick, but it might solve some problems for you and create other ones as a trade off.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
NWCrusher
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:22 am

I've had issues over the years also, but a good seat does help in finding ones "sweet spot". I use the Roc n Soc hydraulic seat (it's got a bit of bounce to it), and I position myself to where the top of my legs are pretty straight with the shell of the kick, or in other words a straight line across.

Good posture helps also, and it's helped in the overall positioning. IMO, sitting too low makes it a struggle, and sitting too high doesn't give a drummer enough leg power. It is a preferrence thing, but for myself, I found my medium.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:22 pm

ROCKET SHELLS SKETCH wrote:i sit less than a foot off the ground,more more of a visual thing

Less than 12"??? How tall are you?
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
ROCKET SHELLS SKETCH
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:24 pm

ACTULLY I WAS WRONG THAT WAS A GUESSTAMENT IM ACTULLY 5'10" AND I SIT A FOOT AND A HALF OFF THE GROUND(I CHOOSE TAMA THRONES) :P
MAPEX DRUMS/Tama Drums/PEARL HARDWARE

EVANS/ATTACK DRUM HEADS

ALESIS,DDRUM,

ZILDJIAN/ISTANBUL CYMBALS

VATER PERCUSSION