paiste- yes? no?

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

millsybaby
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:15 am

The sheer amount of them around my kit hopefully speaks for itself, i'll never use anything other than Paiste unless they change something in their swiss magic makings.

The best cymbals i've ever played, the only problem i have with Paiste is keeping myself limited to one setup :lol:
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:24 am

I like Paiste cymbals very much. In fact there is a little 2002 14" crash at the shop I use for a very good price. It'll probably be the next cymbal I buy. It's a great cymbal for a timbale set. Which is how I'll use it.

Over the years I've owned a lot of Paiste cymbals and I've never been disappointed. Of course I've owned other brands as well. No one brand is my favourite choice, but I do tend to buy more Zildjians than any other brand.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:33 pm

i like paistes and for a while i wanted all paistes but there isnt anywhere around here to play them so after i got my 18" full crash i was turned around by sabian and havent looked back. if i want to play it, sabian has it and i dont think i want to change that.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:48 pm

Paiste are IMO very specific cymbals - they don't sound similiar to Zildjians, Sabians or other. You either like'em or you don't ;)
I personally love Paistes - especially ColorSounds :) I own a 2000 heavy 14" hats in red finish and I had a 20" ride and a 18" crash but had to sell them :|
I also have an old 2002 heavy ride (circa 84) and even though it has a small dent I can't imagine a better ride cymbal :)
I'd love to get my hands on some signature full crashes and some more 2000 color sound (red) to add to my collection :)
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
mattkinel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:02 pm

i will only play paistes myself. even tho there more expensive, it dosent matter because there better made so theyll last longer. the only thing better than a new paiste is an old paiste. i havent broken a paiste yet after years of bad experiences with sabian and zildjian. there feel is unmatched and there sound is beautiful, plus they look so damn beautiful.
-Matt Kinel

Vintage Ludwig Stainless Steel Bonham Set
Paiste Giant Beats and 2002 Cymbals
Vintage Ludwig Hercules and Atlas Hardware
Speed King Pedal, Supraphonic Snare
Remo Heads, Coated
warlocke
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:17 pm

For a guy like me who is on a tight budget when it comes to gear, "most bang for the buck" is what I look for. When it came time for me to get back into playing after being away from music for a few years (I made the mistake of marrying a woman who, to say the least, not supportive of me playing music) I needed good cymbals but had very little to spend. I knew I wanted cast, not sheet and I knew I wanted them to be versatile because I didn't know what or with whom I'd eventually be playing. I got a set of Paiste Alphas. Not the high end stuff, I know but I was _amazed_ at how good they sound and how versatile they are. In an "unplugged" or acoustic jazz or mic-free situation they're civilized and tasteful. Now that I'm playing in a funk band, I need them to cut through and deliver and by Bonham's Beard, they do it _WELL_ especially when we mic them. I've since acquired an 80s 2002 18" China in addition to the Alpha Session Set (14" Medium Hats, 16" Thin Crash, and 20" Dry Ride) and it, too is awesome. One of my students has some mixed 302 and 502 sheet cymbals and they're not to bad for entry level student stuff, either. As for people who say they're easy to break, too expensive, etc. -- I'm not a super-heavy hitter but I have never had a Paiste give me any problems, and although the Alphas aren't _nearly_ as sweet as Dimensions, 2002s, Signatures, et.al. they _ARE_ a great cymbal for the price. I'd stack them up again Sabians or Zildjians in the same price range any day of the week and twice on Sundays so at least here in the US they're not expensive by comparison. If you get on up into the Traditionals, Signatures, and so on then yeah, they get spendy but WOW! do you get what you paid for. :)

Just MHO, but I hope it helps.
galgano16
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:33 pm

paistes r my personal favorite, but all the other guys hav their ups and downs 8)
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:28 pm

My local drum store barely ever has any Paiste's, but I will tell you about what they have now. They have a Paiste PST5 16" Rock Crash, and as low quality, and crazy amount of bronze it is, the bell, is all shiny, and cuts like WOW. It is AMAZING!!! I might just buy that JUST for the bell!!! I could like put it over my Sabian B8 20" Ride, who's bell sucks.

They have a few 2002's which are nice.

Then the BEAST, a Paiste Sig. Dark Energy Mark I(I think or 2) 18" Crash. I would agree with the drum seller guy there, it is THE LOUDEST and BEST sounding cymbal I have EVER heard!!! You whack that thing, and MY GOD!!! You have to hit one in person to fully understand it's power!!!
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:12 pm

i'vew always like dpaistes more than any other cymbals, but when you need new cymbals but also need to save up enough money to live off of it's hard to get them.
Beat on.
musicmaker136
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:16 pm

i wish paiste made more colorsounds....*sigh*
Drums!!!!!!!!!!!!!
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:18 pm

musicmaker136 wrote:i wish paiste made more colorsounds....*sigh*

SPEAKING OF COLORSOUNDS!!!! When were those made?! Because they don't make em anymore! And how do they affect the sound??
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
stump

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:55 am

phoenix7289 wrote:

SPEAKING OF COLORSOUNDS!!!! When were those made?! Because they don't make em anymore! And how do they affect the sound??

The colorsounds were made back in the 90's. They sound equivelent to the 2002 series, which sound awesome. You can actually still get the colorsounds from Paiste but only in black and you are going to pay a 30% surcharge. Peace!
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:03 am

stump wrote:The colorsounds were made back in the 90's. They sound equivelent to the 2002 series, which sound awesome. You can actually still get the colorsounds from Paiste but only in black and you are going to pay a 30% surcharge. Peace!

Can't you get paistes in white, too? I've seen somebody having those(I'm not talking about Joey Jordison)
dim my eyes if they should compromise
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:03 am

stump wrote:
phoenix7289 wrote:

The colorsounds were made back in the 90's. They sound equivelent to the 2002 series, which sound awesome. You can actually still get the colorsounds from Paiste but only in black and you are going to pay a 30% surcharge. Peace!

So it's basically another way for them to just make money? lol
What were the general price ranges? Sig level or higher? XD
wearetheroadcrew
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:38 am

2002's all the way or the RUDE series there good too actually all of them even there 101,s are a pretty good standard and there strong i mean i use ALOT of crash and i gig alot and a 101 (there beginer series) has lasted me 2 years and counting.

look after them and they shall look after you