zildjian - yes? no?

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:37 pm

whats your pros and cons for zildjian??

what range do you play? have you found a great sound of a cheaper range in zildjian?

whats your FAV zildjian cymbal? whats your worst buy? etc etc.
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:47 am

What can I say?

Zildjians's, Sabian's or Paiste's are ALL good cymbals!

I could play ANY of those, but I have ended up on (mainly) Zildjian's.

I started out with Paiste cymbals, and I loved the sound, Especially of the 602 Formula ride cymbal I had then, and obviously any 2002 cymbal.

Then I swapped to Zildjian's. The main reason was, I bought some 8-10 cymbals at the same time (around 1985), and Zildjian's were then the best bargain, and also the largest catalogue of different cymbals.

Sabian's were really expensive (at least in Norway) at the time, so it really came down do random choice, all though I loved the sound of Zildjian's then and still do.

But you can't go wrong really, with any of those brands!
ImageImageImage
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:54 am

i personally think Zildjian are a very good brand of cymbal, i am a current zildjian user, and the are perfect for my playing style, they are very powerful cymbals and sound good whenever and wherever i play them, i've never played a bad zildjian cymbal, anything from Zildjian planet Z to Zildjian Avedis sound good, you cant go wrong with zildjian 8)

~Scott~
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:44 pm

All the top brands make good cymbals. I judge every instrument on its own merits regardless of the brand name.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
druminzeetobaccofade
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:22 pm

Zildjian Rules as far as I'm concerned, granted their are definately some great companies out there, Sabian, Alchemy, Meinl etc...

They're all good companies, but I don't know how many of those cymbal makers have been around for more than 300 years, the Zildjian guys found a great formula and stuck with it.

they're able to make a cymbal have incredible tone without making them sound tinny, that's what, I think, sets them apart from a lot of the companies..

If you get a chance to hit a 18" A custom, 16" A customs, and 20" A customs, you won't regret it..

Check out the "Quick beat" hi hat bottom with a "Rock beat" top, unbelievable combination... The Quick beat looks really strange it's almost a flat cymbal, with 4 holes in it, great cymbals though..
Have a good one.
I'm in a metal band out of Oklahoma, stop by if your interrested in checking it out..

www.myspace.com/against72

Noble & Cooley (www.noblecooley.com)

Trick pedals (www.trickdrums.com)
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:32 am

druminzeetobaccofade wrote:They're all good companies, but I don't know how many of those cymbal makers have been around for more than 300 years, the Zildjian guys found a great formula and stuck with it.

Correct enough, but I recon that Zildjian is not the only "true" cymbal-smith's. This craft/alchemy comes from Turkey, and I would therefore claim that alongside Zildjian, also Istanbul cymbals, Masterwork cymbals, Anatolian cymbals, Turkish cymbals, Bosphorus cymbals and Byzance cymbals (a subsidiary of Meinl Percussion), comes from the same cymbal-maker tradition, and they all have the same orgins in terms of native country and nativ alchemy/craftmanship..

Also, Zildjian's could be split into two different cymbal-makers from the same orgin. In 1923, Avedis Zildjian III (maker of "A" Zildjian's) went to Boston, U.S., whilst Kerope Zilcan ((sometimes spelled Zildjian), maker of "K" Zildjian's) stayed on in Istanbul, Turkey). It stayed that way until they were brought back under the same umbrella again in 1968 (when the "Zildjian" trademark became Americanized) and 1975 (When Kerope and Avedis worked together again).

Sabian cymbals also come from the Zildjian tradition of making cymbals, by the way.

"Zildjian" by the way, simply is Turkish for "Cymbal-smith" for those who didn't know! :wink:
ImageImageImage
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:40 am

I think Zildjian make good cymbals but I just haven't found any that have a sound I like, other than the K Customs and the New Beat hats. Some of them are too loud and clangy for me, like the Z Custom crashes. Purely a matter of personal taste though.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:07 am

Johnny Cat wrote:I think Zildjian make good cymbals but I just haven't found any that have a sound I like, other than the K Customs and the New Beat hats. Some of them are too loud and clangy for me, like the Z Custom crashes. Purely a matter of personal taste though.

Well, if you've found the "K" Custom's and the New Beat hats, you're certainly on your way! :D

Forget about those Z crashes, go for:

"A" Zildjian's - Most Crashes, and DEFINATELY the China's.
The 18" Crash is one of my personal favorites.
I also find the ZXT series to be surprisingly good.

Other than that, the "regular" K's are also good, although not in the bigger sizes (> 15")
ImageImageImage
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:15 am

Animal wrote:
Johnny Cat wrote:I think Zildjian make good cymbals but I just haven't found any that have a sound I like, other than the K Customs and the New Beat hats. Some of them are too loud and clangy for me, like the Z Custom crashes. Purely a matter of personal taste though.

Well, if you've found the "K" Custom's and the New Beat hats, you're certainly on your way! :D

Forget about those Z crashes, go for:

"A" Zildjian's - Most Crashes, and DEFINATELY the China's.
The 18" Crash is one of my personal favorites.
I also find the ZXT series to be surprisingly good.

Other than that, the "regular" K's are also good, although not in the bigger sizes (> 15")

Awesome thanks for the advice. :)

I will definitely look into your suggestions when I go cymbal shopping.
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Remo and Evans Drumheads
druminzeetobaccofade
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:37 pm

Yeah man, the Z customs are notorious for cracking.

That China you mentioned Animal, kicks ass, cuts through like no other, no need to say more about the A customs.

Hey and point taken Animal, those cymbal companies rock, definately a lot of history over in Turkey in regard to Alchemy. I think the early Zildjian makers originally made cymbals for the Ottoman empire and they were used to freak opposing soldiers out, pretty cool history. 8)
I'm in a metal band out of Oklahoma, stop by if your interrested in checking it out..

www.myspace.com/against72

Noble & Cooley (www.noblecooley.com)

Trick pedals (www.trickdrums.com)
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:09 am

druminzeetobaccofade wrote:I think the early Zildjian makers originally made cymbals for the Ottoman empire and they were used to freak opposing soldiers out, pretty cool history. 8)

You are absolutely correct indeed!

Cool History! 8)

(Allthough I think the Egyptians and Chineese also would like to take credit for the orgins of the cymbals! :wink: )
ImageImageImage
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:06 am

druminzeetobaccofade wrote:Yeah man, the Z customs are notorious for cracking.

That China you mentioned Animal, kicks ass, cuts through like no other, no need to say more about the A customs.

Hey and point taken Animal, those cymbal companies rock, definately a lot of history over in Turkey in regard to Alchemy. I think the early Zildjian makers originally made cymbals for the Ottoman empire and they were used to freak opposing soldiers out, pretty cool history. 8)

Wow that's awesome. I love little tidbits of trivia like that. Especially when it has to do with music, and more importantly, DRUMMING! :D
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Remo and Evans Drumheads
dannydrumperc
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:11 am

My favorites are the new Ks (with the K on bottom side - no Zildjian logo); very versatile cymbals. I have two crashrides (18 & 20), two rides (20 ride & 21 heavy ride) and the 14 Master Sound hi hats.

I've also heard great things about 80's Avedis, although I don't like much the newer ones except for my 14 paper thin and my 18 china low. Animal is right - these are great chinas.
ChinnY
new
new

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:11 pm

i think meinel are quite good
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:18 am

ChinnY wrote:i think meinel are quite good

Wrong topic dude, this for Zildjian :D
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater