Drums vs Temperature

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Raider05
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Canada

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:07 am

DreamT wrote:I just need to get something off my chest. PAISTE DOES NOT RHYME WITH FIESTY! IT RHYMES WITH WAIST. I apologize for this outburst but my skin crawls everytime i read Johnny Cat's post's in the forums.


From the Paiste website in the FAQ section;

How do you pronounce "Paiste"?

The correct pronunciation for "Paiste" is "Pie-stee".

As Mario Calire of Ozomotli says, "it rhymes with feisty"!

I think they should know.

*EDIT*-I should mention that I pronounced it wrong for years. :lol:
Last edited by Raider05 on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:24 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:25 am

Raider05 wrote:
DreamT wrote:I just need to get something off my chest. PAISTE DOES NOT RHYME WITH FIESTY! IT RHYMES WITH WAIST. I apologize for this outburst but my skin crawls everytime i read Johnny Cat's post's in the forums.


From the Paiste website in the FAQ section;

How do you pronounce "Paiste"?

The correct pronunciation for "Paiste" is "Pie-stee".

As Mario Calire of Ozomotli says, "it rhymes with feisty"!

I think they should know.


THANK YOU VERY MUCH SIR! :D That's precisely where I got that quote from.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
User avatar
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:24 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:26 am

DreamT wrote:I just need to get something off my chest. PAISTE DOES NOT RHYME WITH FIESTY! IT RHYMES WITH WAIST. I apologize for this outburst but my skin crawls everytime i read Johnny Cat's post's in the forums.


Sorry dude, but you're wrong. Click here and look right at the top:

http://www.paiste.com/faqs/#faq13

But you know, pronounce it how you wish. I just liked the fact that he used the word "fiesty". Not trying to be preachy. I'll forgive the outburst because I'm a genuinely nice guy, and everyone makes mistakes. :)
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
mattkinel
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:45 am

Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:56 pm

in the short term youre fine, but if you want those drums to last you, youre screwd. I restore vintage drums, and because of temp changes, the shell plys separate, which is a bitch to fix because unless you have a press and clamps that can put 5 tons of pressure (the amount of pressure keller puts on there shells) youll get air bubbles.

if youre leaving them in the car, buy a set of vistalites, or some other acrylic, carbon fibre, plastic, fiberglass, or my favorite, stainless steel drums.
-Matt Kinel

Vintage Ludwig Stainless Steel Bonham Set
Paiste Giant Beats and 2002 Cymbals
Vintage Ludwig Hercules and Atlas Hardware
Speed King Pedal, Supraphonic Snare
Remo Heads, Coated
philapfg
new
new
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:38 pm

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:45 pm

i'm from wisconsin. i had a kick drum crack on me. i left it in my garage a little too long at the beginning of winter. i learned my lesson, besides, i was young. next to that it's just a matter of retuning, but making sure your drums are at room temp when you do tune. i have broken many cymbals in the winter and am thinking the hot to cold thing light have quite a bit to do with that. anyway, that's all i have. good luck!
philaPFG
changlab
new
new
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:52 pm
Location: Cincinnati,Ohio

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:41 pm

One thing to rember is that your car will heat up quickly!
so, if you are taking your drums from a warm enviornment to a cold car = not good if your drums are in a warm club/house preheat your car!
also if your drums have been in a cold car all day don't just jump in and crank the heater it isn't comfortable but gradually warm up your car start with your heater on a cool setting and gradually adjust it to warmer settings.

Is the A in tama long or short?
tama rymes with Bam or tom?

punctuation is overrated. 8)
JohnDrake
new
new
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:33 am

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:58 am

Johnny Cat wrote:I think something else you should be concerned with keeping them outside in your car is the humidity. It may not be a major concern in the cold...


That's one's solved by keeping a sachet of Silica Gel in each of your drum cases.

btw... punctuation is never overrated!!!!
MrChops
beginner
beginner
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:14 pm
Location: Detroit, Michigan

Post Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:20 am

Ok man, I'm from Detroit too. My parents hate the fact that I am a drummer. Therefore I have payed for everything I own. They don't care that I have spent well over two grand on all of my equipment, and continue to add to that sum.

Anyway, my dad would freak out if my drums were even stacked up in the corner of my bedroom. He insisted that they sit in the garage, even when not set up to be played one. Consequently, over the course of last winter, my shells and rims have slightly warped. Now I live on campus at University of Detroit-Mercy and have twice now came home on the weekend and had to put my drums back in to my room because dad puts them in the garage. I don't think he realizes how expensive this stuff is. Maybe I should start putting his work computer on the back porch, and see how he reacts to it.
Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.
Danny Meazell
beginner
beginner
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:59 pm

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:00 am

Fudman,
Good thought but those pocket warmer things get really hot and could start a fire. I have burned my pockets and besides they rul out of fuel fast. I do have the perfect solution for all you guys (and Gal drummers :))) though. One I have had personal experience with. My grandfather in his old age became a peddler and trader. He sold Raleigh and Watkins Products like Liniment, Cough Syrups, Salves, Their Famous Black Pepper and all manner of things. A lot of that stuff was liquid and in glass. What he did to keep his stuff from freezing was to hang one or two (Depending on how cold it was going to get ) light bulbs hung from wire that ran across from hanger over each door. Those metal covered shop lights with hangers on them. He took the reflector off. The heat from the light bulbs would not let the products in the car freeze. Just make sure they hang low enough not to heat the upholstery on the ceiling or low enough to effect Over heat the shells of your drums. This is your very best solution. Be sure and buy a cord long enough to reach to your car. Get a flat multi prong one to go from your long extension into your car.

If you need farther instructions email me your phone number and I will call and go into it in more details. This is for US residents only because I have free Nation Wide Long Distance in the US only.
Good Luck
Danny Meazell :D