Drums vs Temperature

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

SkinBeater
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:51 pm

Ok.. here's my situation in a nutshell.. when my band gigs on weekends, i bring my drums to work with me and leave them in my car to go straight to set up after work.. it's impossible for me to go to my house , load up and drive an hour or so in the opposite direction and set up in time.. . but the dilema now is.. it's getting fucking cold out here in Detroit.. how bad will i fuck them up if i leave them in my car when it's cold as hell out.. second...if it does fuck them up, how do they NOT get fucked up when you order a kit on-line in the winter and they're in a cold ass semi truck for three days or so for delivery?....
anyone have any experiences or suggestions in this matter?

Jon

Check out my vids at
www.myspace.com/shogun_warrior32
"Hold the red star proudly..."

Check out more vids at... www.myspace.com/shogun_warrior32
Xfactor
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:42 pm

Hey man, I hear your cry. I had a similar problem up here in Ontario Canada before I went electronic. My experiance with the cold is far to intimate. But as long as the drums cool slowly and heat up slowly then the only problem you are going to have is tunning them every time you use them. But a word of caution...if your drums have a wrap for the finish the fact tat the wood and the plastic expands and contracts at differnet rates may cause the wrap to disconnect from the shell. I use to alwasy leave my kit in the porch area of our home with an electric heater for a few hours before I bought them in. I had a snare crack on my one because it went from 25 below 0 to a 73 degree home enviroment. It was not pretty and I heard it crack from abot 15 feet away. Anyway I hope this helped. Cheers.
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:53 pm

I've lived in Dallas, Tx most of my life it goes from 110 in the summer to about 20 in the winter sometimes so my drums have been through some rapid changes at times. The only problem I've ever had was having to tune them. But if you put them through a sudden temperature change, just like putting a hot light bulb in cold water, they're liable to crack on you. But that shouldn't be much of a problem in Detroit.
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:37 am

only thing i can say is for you to put all your drums and cymbals etc...in good quality drum/cymbal bags, you can get some quite think bags now for your drums, that should stop the cold getting to them, also when you keep the kit in the car, keep a think blanket in there to wrap around your equiptment. insilate your drums as much as possible, other wise like the others said, the cold could cause damage to your drums...
Hope that helps..

~Scott~
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
stevo
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:49 pm

they shouldnt be that bad, heat gets alot worse then cold. just watch out for drastic heat changes and you should be ok.
hey whats up guys im doug.....FUCK!!!!!
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:33 am

I think something else you should be concerned with keeping them outside in your car is the humidity. It may not be a major concern in the cold,, I'm not really sure, even though there is still moisture in the air depending on where you live. But I know that high temperature + lots of humidity + tension = warped shells.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
TrunJun
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:29 am

Johnny Cat is absolutely right. Humidity is bad for any drum kit, plus the rapid temperature change.

The best thing you can do is get some Thermally backed soft-cases. I have some and the padding on the ones I use (Tuxedos) is great. I've only had one bass shell bag break on me... but most people prefer to use Hard Case shells. Just make sure that you dont go from extreme cool to extreme heat in a short time tho, like they said.

Hail Satan
The Allmighty TrunJun of Before the Reign (Denver)
Its not even that hard to play, its just hard to count! Fuck it!
AugustHouseDrums
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:08 am

I went on a tour that took us from dry cold to humid hot, not rapidly though, with my drums in hard cases in a trailer and had no problems. Just a lot of tuning.
DreamT
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:33 am

I just need to get something off my chest. PAISTE DOES NOT RHYME WITH FIESTY! IT RHYMES WITH WAIST. I apologize for this outburst but my skin crawls everytime i read Johnny Cat's post's in the forums.
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:55 am

I always it heard pronounced as rhyming with fiesty. /OT
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
druminzeetobaccofade
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:29 pm

From what I understand, the constant change in temp and humidity causes your drums to expand and contract and can warp over time, it has to do with the moisture getting into the cells of the wood, that's what I've been told anyways. I'm sure if you kept them well insulated with some blankets or whatever it might help keep them in good shape in the car and in cold weather..

Someone, please let me know if that's the wrong interpretation of the expansion and contraction of drums with their environment.

Hope you get that all figured out, it would suck to damage a good set of drums.
I'm in a metal band out of Oklahoma, stop by if your interrested in checking it out..

www.myspace.com/against72

Noble & Cooley (www.noblecooley.com)

Trick pedals (www.trickdrums.com)
Raider05
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:51 am

A friend of mine encountered a problem last winter, with a huge crack on his bass drum, in the laquer finish. Apparently it occurred as a result of moving the drums from a hot stuffy club to his car in the cold winter here in Canada....or vice-versa. The expanding wood shell caused the finish to split.

This was a new Taye kit, and they were nice enough to replace it with a brand new bass drum, but it goes to show that it can happen.
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:59 am

DreamT wrote:I just need to get something off my chest. PAISTE DOES NOT RHYME WITH FIESTY! IT RHYMES WITH WAIST. I apologize for this outburst but my skin crawls everytime i read Johnny Cat's post's in the forums.

I've never heard it pronounced like the sounding of "WAIST" :D
Only "FIESTY"
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:36 am

SkinBeater wrote:Ok.. here's my situation in a nutshell.. when my band gigs on weekends, i bring my drums to work with me and leave them in my car to go straight to set up after work.. it's impossible for me to go to my house , load up and drive an hour or so in the opposite direction and set up in time.. . but the dilema now is.. it's getting fucking cold out here in Detroit.. how bad will i fuck them up if i leave them in my car when it's cold as hell out.. second...if it does fuck them up, how do they NOT get fucked up when you order a kit on-line in the winter and they're in a cold ass semi truck for three days or so for delivery?....
anyone have any experiences or suggestions in this matter?

Jon

Check out my vids at
www.myspace.com/shogun_warrior32

I'm more worried about your gear being stolen from your car.

I don't really have any ideas about how to deal with heat and cold other than keeping the equipment dry. It doesn't get very cold where I live.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Fudman
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:50 pm

heres an idea get a cuple of reusealbe hand wamers and get them going and put them under the drums and wrap a big planket over the drums and at you lunch check them ad see if its still warm and if you need to re charge(whatever you do to recharge hand warmers). just an idea to keep the cold off.
It's like stupid in stereo.