What are the best cymbals?

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

grohl
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:46 am

in your opinion which are the cymbals that more satisfies you?which are the cymbals with better quality in such a way of sound as of resistence and durability?paiste,zildjian or sabian?

P.S:you can mention more names of cymbals
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:41 am

http://www.drumsmylife.com/viewtopic.php?t=447

http://www.drumsmylife.com/viewtopic.php?t=238
There are loads of topics on this subject- some of us prefer crashes from one brand and rides from a different one, co check this forum- discussions entirely on cymbals :)
PS. Apparently the Portugese word for "plates" means plates and cymbals(same as in Polish :) ). To avoid confusion I'll change the name of the topic.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
tamadrummer321
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:23 pm

PAiste all the way!! but only the high quality paiste the beginner ones arent that great

Sabien beginer and ziljan are great
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:44 am

Sabian, Paiste & Zildjian are my 3 favorite cymbal companies, as they have excellent durability and sound quality, but Zildjian is no.1 to me :D
Zildjian all the way
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
Crusher
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:00 pm

Sabian & Meinl are my favorites. Huge fan of Sabian AA's and Meinl Mb20's
Tama Drums - Sabian Cymbals - Vater Sticks - Evans Heads
TrunJun
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:52 am

I love my A customs. The Istanbul line is very good too, see mudvaynes old concert dvd for LD Fifty, his cymbals sound killer!
Its not even that hard to play, its just hard to count! Fuck it!
phee
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:58 pm

There is no such thing as best. It seems that we are finally starting to realize this as a whole. I think just about every cymbal company out there has something really great to offer. My personal favorite is Paiste, but there are just so many awesome cymbals out there. To limit yourself to one brand, to me, seems foolish, except in cases of endorsements. Cymbals are not like sticks and heads. Every cymbal, even within the same make and model, sounds different. Also in the live setting, it doesn't matter what you use, it will all sound the same. Trust me. I had to send in a cracked A Custom 20" Medium Crash for replacement. So while it was being shipped, I used a ZBT 18" Crash in its place. The bands I was on tour with said there was no appearant difference in sound out front.
downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:17 pm

Every cymbal manufacturer makes shitty,good and great cymbals...it's all personal preference. :D

I personally love Sabian cymbals...HH,AA,AAX and Vault cymbals...and I don't need an endorsment to play nothing but Sabian.

I've been playing for 18 years and Sabian gives me exactly what sounds,durability,support I need.

Best thing to do is listen to the bands you like and what do those drummers play on.If you like the sound of their cymbals(though sometimes the studio plays with the sound)find out what models they play on...and go from there. :idea:
Taye:Rock Pro Classic Rock 5 Piece
Sabian:Cymbals
Tama & Pearl:Hardware
Evans:Drum heads
Vader:Fat Back 3A Sticks & Slick-Nuts
ghost_note
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:47 am

i actually prefer Meinl cymbals! they can have a very nice bright sound or a good dark sound! they are somewhat expensive but i really like them! i also tend to like paiste! my first set of cymbals were paiste alphas. i dont know if they still make them! thats what i would recommend if you dont have a whole lot of money and want a durable cymbal! but if you can afford it i would go with Paiste Rude or Meinl Soundcaster. those prolly have the best sound and most durablility.
Binky...
"X" marks the spot
screamkevin

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:53 am

phee wrote:There is no such thing as best.

Thank you, phee. I didn't want to start on my rant again. I hate questions that begin with "What's the best...".

Thanks again!
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
mrnuclearpants
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:28 pm

Zildjian for me. But dont forget Meinl
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:33 am

If I could have ANY set I wanted. It would be Paiste Signatures. Paiste puts the most time and effort into their cymbals, that is why the prices are so outrageous next to Sabian's and Zildjian's top levels. ^_^
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
Drumminggrunt13
new
new

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:57 pm

every cymbal has a different sound... so saying that one type is better then another has no point to it every person has their own opinion... i prefer to use wuhan and zildjian... my father in law prefers to use wuhan and sabian so it really depends on the sound that u want
~Monk~
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:39 pm

phoenix7289 wrote:If I could have ANY set I wanted. It would be Paiste Signatures. Paiste puts the most time and effort into their cymbals, that is why the prices are so outrageous next to Sabian's and Zildjian's top levels. ^_^

thats actually not true...all of paistes cymbals, even the high end 2002s and signatures, are machine made through the entire process. zildjian and sabian both have hand hammered lines (k, k custom, hh, hhx) that take more time to make than anything done by machine. the machine hammering process is also what creates the consistency in sound that paiste produces...the hammering pattern never changes to the sound varies very little.
Zildjian also makes all their cymbals by machine. For their K lines they use something called "random hammering" which imitates a human cymbalsmith.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
chappell73
new
new

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:03 pm

Zildjians!!!