I know what drums I want, but what sizes?

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

drums1087
new
new

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:02 am

I know the type of drums I want (Yamaha Oak), but how do I go about choosing the actual drum sizes? I'll mostly be playing rock, jazz, fusion.

Thanks for your help,
Tony
A lesson lived is a lesson learned.
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:08 am

I think you can order oak customs in 22 10 12 16(floor). I'd choose these sizes. 22 BD is really versatile, can be used in every single music style. 10 12 16 toms will sound good in every music style as well(depending on the tuning and heads, of course :) )
dim my eyes if they should compromise
Xfactor
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:21 pm

I agree except I would rather use a 14" floor over the 16" for a number of reasons. But The 10"12" and 22" are very versitile, most definatley.
TheRhythmest
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:57 pm

Best BANG for the BUCK! 8,10TT.14FT 20x 17 BD
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:00 am

10", 12", 14" (floor) and 20" bass drum is a great jazz config too.

The 10", 12" and 14" toms will give you very nice pitch intervals with minimal fussing over your tuning. Toms that are more shallow will give you more definition too, eg. 12" x 9" tom as opposed to a 12" x 10" or 12" x 11". It's great that Yamaha makes the Oak customs in these sizes.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Bebopdrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:37 pm

I concur with the 10", 12", 16" and 22' sizes. And remember this:
A drum can't be forced to sound different that it wants to. I have been playing for 42 years and it took me a long time to "figure" that out. I can't "stand" the free-floating toms or the drums attached to cymbal stands. They are unstable and a bitch to get positioned correctly. Go with floor toms with legs and regular shell mount holders, that is if they still make them. I dare ANYONE to be able to tell a difference in the tone of free-floating toms vs "normal" ones. Of course I play a 1983 Pearl maple kit so I'm sorta partial. 8)
Michael "Lick" Pollock
ReclusE
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:12 am

10" Tom Tom, 12" Tom Tom, 14" Floor Tom, 16" Floor Tom and 22" Bass Drum(s) I would think will give you an all around versatile kit.
phee
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:53 pm

I would just like to state my opinion that size is far less important than the number of drums. Unless you're playing progressive rock/metal, get a 4 piece! Sorry if this bugs anyone, but if you need more than a 4 piece to feel comfortable, you are playing way too much! Save yourself the money and at the same time, make yourself a better drummer. Go 4 piece.

For anyone that disagrees, I just encourage you to commit to trying it for a month. You'll be uncomfortable at first, but give it time, and I promise your fills will start to make more sense. Your band will love you for it.

Anyway. I'd go 24x16, 12x9, and 15x12 or 16x13. Depths tend to effect the sound a lot, so you'll want to pay attention to that. More shallow - more attack and resonance, higher pitch. More deep - more body and thud-like, lower pitch.
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:47 am

Than John Bohnam played waaaay to much :) and so did Buddy Rich :)
I think a 5 piece would work in any situation.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:02 am

Shalaq wrote:Than John Bohnam played waaaay to much :) and so did Buddy Rich :)

I saw Buddy live a bunch of times... his second floor tom was there to place his towel when he wasn't wiping his face with it. I swear I NEVER saw him hit the drum, not even once. It was a coffee table!

Bonzo is another story... he was a freak of nature! (so was Buddy, but in different ways)
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:44 am

Yeah, I know. I've always wondered how would BR solos look if he had 3 rack toms :) But he always played killer drumming.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:07 pm

Johnny Cat wrote:10", 12", 14" (floor) and 20" bass drum is a great jazz config too.

The 10", 12" and 14" toms will give you very nice pitch intervals with minimal fussing over your tuning. Toms that are more shallow will give you more definition too, eg. 12" x 9" tom as opposed to a 12" x 10" or 12" x 11". It's great that Yamaha makes the Oak customs in these sizes.

i agree
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
drummert2k

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:19 pm

zen_drummer wrote:

I saw Buddy live a bunch of times... his second floor tom was there to place his towel when he wasn't wiping his face with it. I swear I NEVER saw him hit the drum, not even once. It was a coffee table!

Bonzo is another story... he was a freak of nature! (so was Buddy, but in different ways)

a lot of drummers back in Buddy's days would have a second floor tom which was only used for a towel, brushes, a drink, ect.... it was basically just an auxilary table.
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:11 pm

drummert2k wrote:
zen_drummer wrote:

a lot of drummers back in Buddy's days would have a second floor tom which was only used for a towel, brushes, a drink, ect.... it was basically just an auxilary table.

Why not just use.. a table..?
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:45 am

masonvonritchie wrote:
drummert2k wrote:
zen_drummer wrote:

Why not just use.. a table..?

probably because you can use it both as a drum and as a table :)
dim my eyes if they should compromise