Staccato drums

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Alexander
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:54 pm

4 the 5th TIME. HOW DO THEY SOUND COMPARED TO NORMAL DRUMS?!?! :!:
~ Alex.
See my Band "ToneDrones" & Drum pix @ 2 MySpace URLs:

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/tonedrones &

Me Self: http://www.myspace.com/alexander23
stunrut
new
new

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:10 pm

I used to think these were cool twenty five years ago. I can't believe they still make them.
jt
new
new

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:20 pm

Hello Alexander, I have the privalidge to own a Staccato kit in a awesome bright yellow and it is a real head turner when i use it for gigs! the main differences in the sound is 1. its frickin loud, 2. it has much less sustain, 3. alot 'dryer' than a normal set up but yet surprisenly musical. I now only use the bass drum for day to day use as it has some proper 'UMPF' behind it. I hardly use dampening on it at all and definet ly not when used for live situations. The toms though do lack control, its more of a punchy, short bang. As there are efectively concert toms so u don't really have the added trouble of over tones... well not as much as with standard kits. Basicly its loud, proud and gorgeous to look at... but i may be slightly biased! lol hope this helps if not ill go into it much deeper and try to get a recordin for you.
Jim x
changlab
new
new

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:51 pm

I think that NORTH flame kit would look cool in a rockabilly setup.
Just a 4 pc.
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:10 am

I had a set of Zickos in the 70's but they were clear acrylic like Ludwig vistalites, they were not those creepy tupperware looking monstrosoties. The Zickos sounded really fat.

I played a set of Stacatto drums back around 1995 and they sounded odd. the bass drum projected all the sound forward and it was REALLY hard to hear when I was playing it... plus... it looks kinda like a big ol fat guys pair of pants. The Tom Toms were TINY heads, like 6,8,10 and 12 and that floor tom only had a 14" head on it. I never saw a 16" floor tom from them but they may have made one. The snare drum was UGLY and sounded awful. These drums should be used for triggers.

I once played a set of stingrays. Nothing to write home about. LOUD and wouldn't tune low at all.
The Freq
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:49 pm

I owned this yellow set of Staccatos for many years. Ray Ayotte of Ayotte drums helped with the lug design and these lugs were later modifed and used on Ayotte drums. The drums were loud but the only thing I really liked sound wise was the kick. The bearing edges were really not very good but the drums definetly had a unique sound. I sold this kit on Ebay a few years ago. Not pictured are 2 more rack toms.. 6, 8, 10, 12, 16, 22 were the sizes.. :-) The Staccato drum company is actually back making drums again.. I have the link and I'll post it later.. :-)
Purple
new
new

Post Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:01 pm

Hi I saw this thread in my web hunting and had to join up and reply, The Freq is right the company has started making them again, and they are hoping to make them more affordable to bands, as the prevous kits were a tad expensive. but worth every penny.

I have the privalage to know Pat Townshend, wicked and very talented man. the website link is:
http://www.staccato-art.co.uk/Drum%20frame.htm

Staccato Drums has just sponsered a young band from Norwich called Circus, you can find out where they are playing via their myspace http://www.myspace.com/circusofficial
If your are interested in seeing these drums in action, it's definatly worth checking their gig list out.

In the very near future there will be a new website for the drums, as we have the honor of building it for Pat.
:D
never R.I.P from now until eternity
dedrummervanrolf
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:54 am

Alexander wrote:4 the 5th TIME. HOW DO THEY SOUND COMPARED TO NORMAL DRUMS?!?! :!:

they sound staccato. hardly any resonance.
me: www.myspace.com/dedrummervanrolf
my band: www.myspace.com/rolfdeband
Gretsch, Wooding, Ludwig, Sabian. random hardware.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:33 am

zen_drummer wrote:the bass drum projected all the sound forward and it was REALLY hard to hear when I was playing it... plus... it looks kinda like a big ol fat guys pair of pants.

LMFAO!!!!!! They do!!

That is the funniest shit I've seen on here yet.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Purple
new
new

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:16 pm

zen_drummer wrote: plus... it looks kinda like a big ol fat guys pair of pants.

Funny you should say that...... have u seen the advert for them on United Moshers?

http://www.unitedmoshers.com/index.php?page=MembersMusic
never R.I.P from now until eternity
Lancelot Frosty
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:08 pm

Animal wrote:Yeah, there's several drum-manufactorers that's been trying those oddly shaped drums.

Along Staccato and Stingray, you also have North Drums that made similar drums (At least toms/floor toms, not the bassdrums, as they where in "regular" shape.

Stingray:

North:

Zickos:

Like Stingray, North were also a "marching bands" drum manufactorer first and foremost.

Woah.
I'm digging the Zickos.
Original Frosty.
psychomikeo
new
new

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:25 am

Elephant man, thats what those drums remind me of, the elephant man...
Drumosaurus
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:40 pm

they look like a novelty item more than an actual drum set
R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan. You will be missed.
drumdots
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:09 pm

i dont know why it remind me of a vigina :S
Assback
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:25 pm

to each his own but ima go ahead and say, those are some butt ugly sets!