Detailed tom tuning

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Da_FuCKeN_ANiMaL
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:18 pm

So, I Guess a lot of people here seems to think it's a little impractical or just flat out silly to tune a drum to a note. What i always remember is what a guitar player friend of mine told me once, "A Lot of poeple don't hear the music in life. The sound of the wind, that's a specific note. The sound of water, that has a note. It's all just a frequency. People talking makes a note; everything around you is music, and no one even realizes it." So with that, always keep in mind, EVERY drum has it's own note. That means that if you can find THE note of each drum, and tune your heads accordingly, (both heads to the same note, resonant head harmonized up or down, and vice versa with the batter head, or tune them octaves higher/lower and vise versa) then your DRUMS will sound perfect!!! They will be in tune with themselves and will "sing" as some of you have mentioned.

Why ANYONE would think having a perfectly tuned instrument is silly is beyond me! But I know there's NOTHING sweeter than hearing a freshly tuned guitar being played. It makes any song that much better when it's in tune. Same with drums!

There is NOTHING sweeter than a perfectly tuned kit!!!!

P.S. My Bass and Snare ALWAYS come out to B Flat...never fails! Find the note, tune it up, it ain't easy, but it's worth it!!!!

Keep the rhythym of the world going fellow drummers!
-Da ANiMaL
wes_125
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:04 am

honestly, I just find the pitch I want to hear, for each drum... it's all about preference.
Pearl Export
Zildjian Cymbals (K/Z-Customs)
Vic Firth/Vater sticks
Pearl hardware.
FelterSkelter
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:04 am

Da_FuCKeN_ANiMaL wrote:So, I Guess a lot of people here seems to think it's a little impractical or just flat out silly to tune a drum to a note. What i always remember is what a guitar player friend of mine told me once, "A Lot of poeple don't hear the music in life. The sound of the wind, that's a specific note. The sound of water, that has a note. It's all just a frequency. People talking makes a note; everything around you is music, and no one even realizes it." So with that, always keep in mind, EVERY drum has it's own note. That means that if you can find THE note of each drum, and tune your heads accordingly, (both heads to the same note, resonant head harmonized up or down, and vice versa with the batter head, or tune them octaves higher/lower and vise versa) then your DRUMS will sound perfect!!! They will be in tune with themselves and will "sing" as some of you have mentioned.

Why ANYONE would think having a perfectly tuned instrument is silly is beyond me! But I know there's NOTHING sweeter than hearing a freshly tuned guitar being played. It makes any song that much better when it's in tune. Same with drums!

There is NOTHING sweeter than a perfectly tuned kit!!!!

P.S. My Bass and Snare ALWAYS come out to B Flat...never fails! Find the note, tune it up, it ain't easy, but it's worth it!!!!

Keep the rhythym of the world going fellow drummers!

That's a great concept to keep in mind. I don't tune my drums to specific notes but I make sure of two things.
1) The drum sounds good within itself (no weird vibrations or such).
2)Make sure the entire drumset isn't dissonant with the style of music.
(Clashing frequencies)
I only really tune my drums when I'm getting ready to record a song (I don't play shows at the moment) and I usually do it different every time.
I don't know if that makes sense
Bluestonered
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:05 am

Scott_Hurford wrote:http://www.videodrumlessons.com/t1.htm

Theres a VERY good website for tuning, hope it helps :D

Well found! This is the exact same technique I use for tuning. Pretty much fail safe....