new female student help...

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

l_e_i_g_h
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:43 am

Speaking of Evelyn....I saw this on TED a while back:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/evel ... isten.html

trstn wrote:Evelyn Glennie ladies and gentlemen.

go watch "touch the sound" its mandatory for everyone hitting stuff rhythmically.
It's "Lei" not "Lee"
drumweezer
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:41 pm

Actually, I think it would be very helpful to mention a female drummer and a male drummer. Although, many people will say that it doesn't matter. As a woman, myself, I know that in reality that is not always the case.

When I started my career in drums, during the beginning of my adolescence, I got a lot of slack from a lot of people in regards to me being a woman and playing drums. If it had not been for my determination and my stubborness to prove "them" wrong, I would have not stuck to it. And when I mean slack, I mean being called expletives and individuals harrassing and threatening me.

Of course, now (15 years later), I definately don't have that problem anymore and haven't had it for quite some time.

Even though we think that sexism, racism, and other prejudices do not exist, they are still quite prevalent. As other drum comerades have said, don't treat her differently. But definately make her aware, maybe later on in her training, that if somebody says something to her (which I hope nobody does) that to remember that as long as she has confidence in herself and believes in herself that it doesn't matter what other people say.
http://www.myspace.com/princessandthecriminals
http://www.myspace.com/riotriotgrrl

Tama Rockstar Custom
Pork Pie Big Black
Tama Iron Cobra Pedal
Sabian AA
ChrisNichols
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:12 pm

Try Tori Castellano from the Donnas. Pretty good, I reckon.
This could only be more awesome if it had tits and was on fire.
blastbeats666
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:57 pm

rlrrll wrote:Meg White of the White Stripes can help you on two levels. First, she shows that girls can play in a popular band, and secondly the songs are very easy for a beginning drummer to learn. I usualy have all of my new students playing songs from the "White Blood Cells" album by the end of their first lesson. Playing songs quickly makes a new student think "Hey, maybe I can do this".

tc

yeah dude because the brother, jack, liked how she sounded when she was new to drumming, so anything from the first couple of albus would be good
screw you mike
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:34 am

drumweezer wrote:Actually, I think it would be very helpful to mention a female drummer and a male drummer. Although, many people will say that it doesn't matter. As a woman, myself, I know that in reality that is not always the case.

When I started my career in drums, during the beginning of my adolescence, I got a lot of slack from a lot of people in regards to me being a woman and playing drums. If it had not been for my determination and my stubborness to prove "them" wrong, I would have not stuck to it. And when I mean slack, I mean being called expletives and individuals harrassing and threatening me.

Of course, now (15 years later), I definately don't have that problem anymore and haven't had it for quite some time.

Even though we think that sexism, racism, and other prejudices do not exist, they are still quite prevalent. As other drum comerades have said, don't treat her differently. But definately make her aware, maybe later on in her training, that if somebody says something to her (which I hope nobody does) that to remember that as long as she has confidence in herself and believes in herself that it doesn't matter what other people say.

I was going to say a similar thing about getting flack from peers being a female drummer. Good advice!

I've had a couple of female students and actually, they picked things up quicker than the majority of boys... always found that interesting.

RLRRLL pointed out meg White and although she bugs the hell outta me, he's dead right! Get them playing by the end of the first lesson and it'll give them a huge confidence boost. Not to mention you can throw the Meg White female drummer thing in there, wiithout even referencing it.