Best drummers of all time?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

znight
new
new

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:48 am

I guess a great drummer depends on individual taste and how that person influences you. I love Alex van halen. he plays some really fun stuff. I like lars because dispite his wandering timming on stage, he's fun to watch. I also like mike portnoy and neil peart for their technical abilities. I draw a lot of things from a lot of drummers.
Debason
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:05 am

Don't know about Cool's speed, he's is my SLOWER reign...

I mostlly admire: TERRY BOZZIO, MIKE MANGINI, VINNIE COLAIUTA, DAVE WECKL, JOJO MAYER, TIM WATERSON,BUDDY RICH, ALEX HERNANDEZ, FLO MOUNIER, VIRGIL DONATI, THOMAS LANG............................................................................
too many to remember them all...
Mike T
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:32 pm

I am really shocked no one has mentioned Ginger Baker one of the best drummers of all time ( not the greatest i do not believe their is a greatest anything) it is all personnel taste ..Bur Ginger was a very well schooled drummer and encorparated many aspects of rudiments into Creams Music and he has played Jazz and Blues you name it he deserves a mention.. and at almost 70 he can still bring it...
Tgaff08
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:27 am

My top 3
1. John Bonham
2. Buddy Rich
3. Neil Peart

Honorable Mention: Steve Gadd
Gaff

Coppell Drums

Pacific Drums by DW
Sabian
Remo
Vic Firth
trauts_cire
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:45 am

TheRhythmest wrote:Well that's always a hard on to say. To me it's about infulence. Copeland<POLICE> I would have to say is up there

Definately Stewart Copeland
drummergirl2020
new
new

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:49 am

[quote="Xfactor"]Hey what about Dennis chamberlin? Other than that the list you wrote should be made of gold. Solid[/quote]

Dennis Chamberlin kicks everyones ass, even Dennis Chambers.

come on...
drummergirl2020
new
new

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:55 am

[quote="Berk"]If anyone actually mentions The Term Barker or Travis. I will kill..

I'd go with Gene Hoglan or Aaron Gillespie. Aaron is just one of my favs. Not the best but good.[/quote]

This is the funniest thing ever.

travis barker taught kids like aaron gillespie how to overplay.

travis is making drums more exposed no matter how hes playing.

you make retard noises when you talk.

in a year when everyone realizes that underoath is a horrible band, (please God) you arent going to like his drumming.
birdman
new
new

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:21 am

there are so many great drummers around now and so many that have gone before - Buddy & Bonzo set the bar for what I aspire to.
wonkavella
new
new

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:02 am

i'm not a fan of neil peart.he is a great drummer and i can't take away from that but could he ever play in another situation other than rush.when he did the buddy rich thing it came off bland.
to me a great drummer is someone who can evolve all the time.i mean he's been doing the same drum solo for thirty years.when i was 13 i memorized it note for note for talent shows.at the same time i do love rush and he is the perfect drummer for them.again this is only my opinion and it's also a matter of taste.thats all i don't belittle anyone one for what they like because it's about their tastes
i'm not even mad i'm impressed
spudzzz
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:36 am

mmmmm - to me every drummer has somthing about them, different to other drummers, cant choose best - probably able to choose who has influenced/changed my playing style or been exciting to watch. I dont particularly appreciate people who can do a tripple flange boost standing on my head while doing 64ths on 6 bass drums -

Jeff Piccaro - feel groove
Stewart copeland - love those hats
Keith Moon - pure unadulterated passion
John Bonham - power - the harder you hit, the better it sounds
Taylor Hawkins - tight and a great showman
Chad Smith - Chillies turned me on to Funk punk and rock in the same song - from then on, kept on expanding my playing style incorperated everything
Fish (from Fishbone) - kept a band on the verge of losing control solid and tight

I could go on and on, as these drummers then turned me on to listening to other music, such as funk, reggea, etc, instead of just plain metal, which was what i listened to during my mispent youth. I now listen to everything, and always pick up new things, steal fills from hundreds of other drummers. the more different styles of music you listen to, you then can incorperate that into any style of drumming. For me now, there is only 3 types of Music - Jazz, Classical and Blues - EVERYTHING comes as a derivitave of that.
spud
BIGGJAY
new
new

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:04 am

Everyone has there view cool...

So here's mine...

If I was to choose my favourite drummers at present they would not make the list....

But on a totally Greatest Of All Time List: I have just one......

Buddy Rich: Just ask your favourite drummer or the drummer you named why.......

Everyone else is fantastic and damn right unbelievable ( No Disrespect to any of the champions named )...... but they will all agree Bubby Rich is the one who deserves the greatest title......

Thats my piece...
RADAR1112
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:31 am

In no order..
Since the best of the best have been mentioned already, here are some of my personal favs.

John Stanier (My Drumming Hero!),

Charlie Benante (BTW- the most over looked drummer ever),

John Madansky (The dead boys...Please check this band out you'll be glad),

Peter Criss,

Vinnie Paul (WOW),

Dave Abbruzzese,

Tommy Lee (not the best, but a solid rock drummer)

Alex VanHalen (big influence, haven't seen his name anywhere)
rabiddrummer
new
new

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:38 am

How bout Carter Beauford?
bdadrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:05 am

I personally like (in no particular order) Mike Portnoy, Steve Gadd, Chad Smith, Neil Pert, Zigaboo Modaleste and the list goes on and on.
Peace Drums
Peace Pedals
Zildjian Cymbals
Peace Sticks
Peace Heads

I Would LOVE An Endorsement
bdadrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:06 am

And Buddy Rich ofcourse
Peace Drums