Damping the toms?

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:35 am

Mike T wrote:Here ya go i will quote it for you ..it was on this page and you will see it is not the words but how you use them that insults people.

you said quote<>I have a pretty extensive Discography over the uears, and I've played a lot of commercial jingle sessions as well. While it's true "some" players have a pillow in their bass drum, I wouldn't say MOST do, but I'll agree, many do. The better, more experienced players I know eventually came around to the thinking that dampened drums don't sound as good as wide open drums. end quote <>

Now since i am obviously in the other camp that dampens their drums i also obviously by your own words am inexperienced and lack talent....

Say WHAT??? Putting words in bold to mean something entirely different than what I said is beyond belief! First things first, I never mentioned your talent in that statement and you seem to insist that I did. Further, You caused my statement to change meaning by ignoring two VERY important words in the sentence... "I Know"

Try THIS on for size....
"The better, more experienced players I know eventually came around to the thinking that dampened drums don't sound as good as wide open drums". end quote

Do I know you? Why would you even think this comment is aimed towards or even be ABOUT you? This was about the more experienced players that I ACTUALLY know . We've had discussions about ithis very subject and have exchanged ideas. I know them and they know me. We share the same opinions in many but not all cases.

So you pretty much blew that example... can you find any REAL examples where I called you inexperienced, or said you lacked talent?

Mike T wrote:think before you post, Zen again it is not the words but your use of them ,back off a bit relax and understand not everyone thinks like either you or me it is ok to disagree on things...

I have a suggestion for you... READ the posts and actually understand them before you get all offended by things that were never said.
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:33 pm

C'mon guys, no one wanted to insult anybody. Drums are the most personal instrument I know and whatever works for you guys as far as technique, mic placement, drum placement, cymbal placement, drum sound, cymbal sound etc. is good.
I've been reading this topic very carefully(I love discussions about sound) and no one insulted anybody or tried to impose their ideas on someone else etc.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:43 pm

"Let it be let it be
let it be let it be....."

:)
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Mike T
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:41 pm

don't take this seriously it is a joke ..but since i thought of it first here ya go.. :)
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:07 pm

any ever used those e - rings by evans??
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
Llama_Dude
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:03 pm

I've never used E-Rongs but I have used the remo rings and I'm guessing the'd be the same thing.

I used to dampen my toms to death with O-rings, duct tape, and paper all at the same time, and I had an XL Winter coat and a feather pillow in the bass drum.

I think the reason was becuase I had no idea how to tune properly, I had crappy heads, and I just wasn't that experinced.
:oops:
Now I don't dampen any thing exept for an evans EMAD and the bass drum. I've gotten better batters (lol) Coated G2 batters.

It sounds much better. :D
"Your gonna blow the amp man, and blowing is NOT cool!!!"- My Bassist
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:07 pm

Yeah, let's move on... :D (joking back at ya...)
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:18 am

devilspain wrote:any ever used those e - rings by evans??

Way back in the early 80's I used to make my own rings from old heads. There's no need to spend extra money on those things. All I needed was a pair of scissors.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:54 pm

If you cut your own E-rings, you can always cut them in half or into quarter of a circle, if a full one is too much.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Stimpy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:04 am

I use moongells on my toms. Rings work well on the floor tom too.
AAXplosionnn
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:49 am

my erings work great
LadyThunder
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:08 pm

I use moongels for practice/rehearsal, but not live. You want your drums to sing to the crowd. The sound you hear behind the kit with all the overtones, dissipates as it reaches the audience leaving them with the true sound of the drum, granted you have them tuned properly. I prefer to use the moongels in practice/rehearsal to just to satisfy my ears with a more staccato sound...

Happy muffling...
Pearl Drums
Pork Pie Snare & Throne
Evans EC2 Coated, EMAD 2 & Aquarian High Energy
DW Pedals & Pearl Hardware
Zildjian A Custom & Wuhan
25" Vintage Ludwig Timpani
Vater 3a Fatbacks NT & Ahead
drummerboy1991
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:09 pm

as of now, i just got a new TAMA set so it still has the stock heads on it. i only dampen the snare and the suspended 14" floor tom with moongel. i really dont think anything else needs dampening all that bad. i would highly recommend thick skins like evans hydraulics if you really want damped sound.

one thing i tried just for the hell of it was putting moongel on the bass to make it punchier and it kinda worked. i just dont know if the gel would stick there. any one ever tried it b4??
www.myspace.com/drumming101
TAMA Superstar 5-pc Brushed Vintage Blue
TAMA Hardware
Vater, Vic-Firth
Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals
Evans Heads- EC2(clears), Genera dry, EMAD
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:20 pm

when i bought my kit used it had evans g1 coated heads with remo felt rings on the inside of the toms. they took away overtones without choking the sound, especially after i re-tuned them to notes. i took them off once for jazz combo and they sounded really good, but put them back on later.
whenever my band plays a show, after we're done drummers from other bands come up to me and ask me how i get "that cool, fat sound" out of my drums while still having great tone. i guess it's become kind of my signature sound
Beat on.
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:00 pm

The sound in my head never contained dampening
I just did it because everyone else did
I played on pinstripes forever
It wasn't until I started paying attention to open sounding drummers like Keith Moon did I really embrace the open sound

You don't suck if you dampen your toms
In fact, please go right ahead
All of you
That way none of you will sound like me
You say irritant, I say catalyst