Damping the toms?

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Tank
new
new

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:27 am

personally i think once you start muffling your drums and stuffing your kick you defeat the purpose of the shell and head. your drums are supposed to resonate. with good heads and the right tuning even a cheap drum can sound good enough without muffling. otherwise you may as well play on cardboard boxes.
Bigd11
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:13 pm

never dampen! some people hear the beautiful ring of a tom and think its to much, most people dont realise it gets lost in the music when u play anyway, and if a tom is tuned properly its such a beautiful sound why would u want to compromise it by dampening
Heresy! \M/
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:19 pm

HEVY KEVY wrote:I tune them to sound big, but being in a cover band, some songs have flat ,thuddy toms, so I throw the zero rings on. I tune my snare to ring like Bonham, but most songs are a flat shotgun sound, so I have a ring on the snare most of the night.
I use rings as an effect, not a crutch for bad tuning.

In that case it's cool man. I know what it's like to play originals and covers by different bands. You want them all to sound good. The rings would be the quickest and easiest way to get what you need. I actually use the bassist's Mapex Qs for that band so I don't feel like spending money on his kit so I tune everything normally and it works out alright.

stonephar0 wrote:and yes....if all else fails....kick him in the nuts. At my house, we prefer the paiste gong mallet. Always a good time

We used to do that in high school band...it was brutal man...brutal...but it is a good time.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:24 am

I saw a drummer a few weeks ago, and they had covered their heads with tape and tissue. The drums sounded like cardboard boxes. Such a shame as she was a wicked drummer!

I personally think it's all about tuning. Sometimes it takes hours to get the whole kit just right, but when it's done, no dampening required!
Lepricoin
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:15 pm

I wish that i could tune well enough to not use my o-rings but im still at that point where my tuning abilities are not where they have to be. I have a tama swingstar set with 7ply shels so not a lot of resonance with the thicker wood construction...i just cant get the toms to sound right without the o rings. :(
Will
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:49 pm

Nothing to do with the plies

The best way to learn how to tune, is to tune so just keep on doing it
Iqa
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:40 am

Hehehehe sorry, just noticed the 'Philippinese'. Isn't Philippino? Sorry couldn't help it.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:58 pm

If you really need to quieten them a lot, fill the toms, kick and snare with foam.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
HEVY KEVY
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:32 pm

I wish that i could tune well enough to not use my o-rings but im still at that point where my tuning abilities are not where they have to be. I have a tama swingstar set with 7ply shels so not a lot of resonance with the thicker wood construction...i just cant get the toms to sound right without the o rings.
I have found that if you tune the drum to a perfect note, ( so it sounds the same when you tap near each lug ) then pick one lug and loosen it, or knock it out of tune, you get rid of the twangy ring, or, you can dampen the head many ways. Take a few hours and use different tunings, top head tight-bottom loose, both the same tight, both the same loose, Just see what you can do.

There is no try, only DO!
Daneman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:30 pm

stonephar0 wrote:looks like I'm not the only one who likes wide open kit tone, but, as an engineer as well, I find that a little dampening can be very mic friendly when your mixing, a hint of the right verb and bamm.....big drums. But live.....I wouldn't even think about it, it was already said. It's all in the tuning which has taken me forever to refine.

Agreed. I may use the slightest amount of dampening when close micing my drums for recording, but that's about it. And I seldom do that- I'm come from the old school R&B/groove theory- record with three mics and let the overheads pick up the toms.

The thing most kids fail to understand is that you need the drums to ring out. There is a huge difference in perceived sound between drummer and audience- the highs (ring) are usually washed out by the other instruments as the sound travels to the audience.

Overmuffled drums sound lifeless and boxy to your audience- even when using microphones. Have someone play your kit along with your band and listen from out front- you'll see exactly what I mean.
Danny Meazell
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:08 pm

The only thing I have that is dampened in my two 22" basses. I use Aquarian 1 Super Kicks that has a ring made on it to barely dampen just enough to stop over ring. Nothing else is dampened.
Danny Meazell
Bebopdrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:52 pm

I use a little tape on my floor tom bottom head. And a very small piece on the top head. I hate dampening and you know what, I'm gonna take that crap off because I'm not sure why I put it there to begin with. :?:
As far as "making" a drum sound a certain way, it took me 30 friggin' years to realize that a drum has to sound like it wants to.
It also took me way too long to just forget about playing like someone else. Just play what you play the best way you can.
.......my motto....."Play the easy shit good"
Later, Lick
Michael "Lick" Pollock
Mike T
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:25 pm

sounds like alot of new drummers responses,i am hearing never dampen LOL Ringing toms sound like crap to much over ring is the worst sound for any drum...when good drums were made in the country(USA) Rogers,Ludwig,Gretch and slingerland they had mufflers on them built in and they worked now you have gimmick rings ,moongels etc invest in some good internal mufflers and then tune your kit to the right sound..weather effects the sound with internal mufflers you can adjust with rings and moongels you can't.

Buy a old Cream or Vanilla fudge cd listen to the drums they do not ring but are clear and sound awesome..Drummers Ginger Baker cream,Carmine appice Vinilla fudge..i have been playing 41 years..
Limited Access
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:09 pm

ok I see I have some work to do I have dampining for 20 years because of the small clubs around here, but now after reading all the post here on this subject I am gonna go and pull off the dampiners and start retuning and see what I can find........lol!!!!
Pearl Drums and Zildjian and Sabian Cymbals
Daneman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:31 am

Mike T wrote: Buy a old Cream or Vanilla fudge cd listen to the drums they do not ring but are clear and sound awesome..Drummers Ginger Baker cream,Carmine appice Vinilla fudge..i have been playing 41 years..

That's partially true. What you forgot to mention is that Ginger didn't close mic his toms when recording- look at any of the old 60's pictures from Drummerworld or anywhere else. He only used a kick mic and overheads to record his entire kit.

I bet that if his toms were close miced there's be a bit more ring to the drums than you'd think. Not a ton of uncontrollable ring, but it would be there....