Damping the toms?

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:30 pm

mapexdrummer wrote:its all in the tuning fellas :D

Not really. Sometimes we're at the mercy of the respective talents, or lack thereof, of soundmen.

In an ideal world we'd never have to dampen anything. But of course it also depends on the sound you want. I've often thrown a towel over a drum if that was the sound I wanted for a particular song.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Will
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:03 pm

Well yeh it's just personal preference on the sound that a drum makes whether its nice or not

Pearl Forum is definatley not the lowest level drum possible! No offense to those people but they need to do some research if they think that lol!
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:04 pm

I think the right choice of heads and sizes is the key. Bohnam had 14 16 18 toms and he didn't dampen them. He just had the right heads and tuned them well. Also I believe the shallower the kick drums, the less you have to dampen them.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:17 pm

i use moongels, no tape is touching my drumheads! moongels work better than most other ways of muffling i find, and moongels dont leave any sticky stuff all over your heads.
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:09 pm

at the moment i dont use anything but when im recording i like the attack sound of toms with a little resonance.
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:55 pm

I don't dampen. It's all in the heads and tuning.
I've gotten some nasty drums to sound good. I think the worst set was some old low end Ludwigs made out of particle wood. They weren't even round...neither were the hoops.
Basswood Mapex Qs...too easy.

Heads and tuning that's it. If the sound guy sucks that bad, kick him in the nuts, set everything the way it should be (not hard) and threaten to kick him in the nuts again if he changes it. Sound guys will do whatever you want if you manhandle them a bit.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
Gilly101
new
new

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:00 pm

It's all about the E-rings baby!

But! if you wanna get that cool, almost tympani sound out of your lower toms, then dampening is for u. Most drummers i know dampen to eliminate ringing and overtones which in turn soft snare rattle.

But in any case, E rings are the way to go :o
Don't Waste Your Time Or Time Will Waste You
stonephar0
new
new

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:18 pm

looks like I'm not the only one who likes wide open kit tone, but, as an engineer as well, I find that a little dampening can be very mic friendly when your mixing, a hint of the right verb and bamm.....big drums. But live.....I wouldn't even think about it, it was already said. It's all in the tuning which has taken me forever to refine.
stonephar0
new
new

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:20 pm

and yes....if all else fails....kick him in the nuts. At my house, we prefer the paiste gong mallet. Always a good time
TheRhythmest
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:59 pm

Depending on how deep your toms are and what kind of wood shell you have and what size they are i.e. 13/12 ect Most of them with an evans G2 dont need anything.But the aquarian I and II are perfect for most bassdrums.

Good luck
Sinisterdrums
new
new

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:15 pm

moongels.
i am a simple man with complicated needs.

strength through diversity.
MrNoisy
new
new

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:49 pm

NO ?

Would you fill a Stradavarious with foam ?

It's a drum ... it is meant to sing .... Learn how to tune your drums ... so they sing in tune with each other :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
drummer_slave_serb
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:19 pm

i dont use dampening of any sort. my evans g2's on the batter side cancel out the ring from the thinner g1's on bottom. also when playing rather loud, you dont need to worry about dampening as you wont hear the quieter ringing/overtone. if your playing quietly i reccomend using e-rings. they cut out just enough without choking the sound of the drum.
Will
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:26 pm

I used to use E-Rings, I used to think they were great but I don't think that anymore

I dont recommend any dampening as then you become dependant on them, and what happens when you cant find something to dampen your drums with?

You're fucked! cause you've forgotten how to tune from using em for so long
HEVY KEVY
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:59 pm

I tune them to sound big, but being in a cover band, some songs have flat ,thuddy toms, so I throw the zero rings on. I tune my snare to ring like Bonham, but most songs are a flat shotgun sound, so I have a ring on the snare most of the night.
I use rings as an effect, not a crutch for bad tuning.