Damping the toms?

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

amontholdDrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:01 am

I have this floor tom on my original set that is just horrible with over tons.. at first when i was stupid i put some duct tape in an octagon shape and well.. it still rings out alot.. but after using it for a while. i kind of like it.. but i would rather not dampen so much cuz i like natural sounds.. with the right head you shouldnt really need to dampen so much.. i do use moongels on my snare sometimes just to keep it from ringing so much in the mic.. if im not micked.. i def leave the dampening off.

Jeromy
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:30 am

amontholdDrums wrote:I have this floor tom on my original set that is just horrible with over tons.. at first when i was stupid i put some duct tape in an octagon shape and well.. it still rings out alot.. but after using it for a while. i kind of like it.. but i would rather not dampen so much cuz i like natural sounds.. with the right head you shouldnt really need to dampen so much.. i do use moongels on my snare sometimes just to keep it from ringing so much in the mic.. if im not micked.. i def leave the dampening off.

Jeromy

Try a Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4 on this drum and see if you like it!
Sanady361
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:08 am

Moongels.
dob?
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:21 am

remo pinstripes have all the dampening i need, although the heads are getting old and i cant afford new ones now, so i might have to dampen them a bit. when i do dampen, i just put several layers of short pieces of electrical tape on the edge, about 1 1/2 inches from the edge depending on the size of the drum. works great.

electrical tape=drummers best friend :lol:
phr0sty
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:18 am

aquarian performance II heads..

i swear by em

gives em that real heavy sound
pwn3d.
DevintheGreig
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:48 am

i personally like to use e-rings in the studio, nothing live and practicing moongels.

-----------------------------
METAL IS IMMORTAL

pearl MRX
eliminators (blue cams)
remo coated ambassadors over ebony ambassadors, toms
remo powerstroke 3's, pearl logo head on 2 basses
Sabian AA,AAX, Prototypes, HHX[/quote]
CRAIGVT
beginner
beginner

Post Tue May 01, 2007 6:54 pm

HOLY CRAP!!!! What started as a small, meager question went nuts. Here my 2 cents if anyone is even still reading this post. Maple, birch, and exotics - I want to hear these works of art. If you have a lower line of drums, swingstar - had them, forum, thor??? - had them too, lol, you really don't want to hear these shells. It's like listening to a phone sex operator with a nasty smokers cough. No matter what they say, you can't get past the sound of the voice. Muffling with proper tunung and head selection can make a decent sound out of an otherwise raspy voice. Granted, you don't want to buy every kind of head to find the one that will make a cheaper kit sing, but generally, if you hit hard and want ovetones to go away, pinstipes are good, I really like the new ec2, and deadringers/remo's or whatever can help alot. You can get an almost synthetic/electonic drum sound from the cheapest drum, a little tighter top head will help with getting some attack back after muffling, and I do like to hear each drum rather than one constant blend. Once again this is only my opinion based on my experience, and I recognize my elders here, and whole heatedly agree that a quality shell will sing without muffling, but lower end product can really benefit with a little dampening. I have to go get some more duck tape (joking)- later!!!!!
RogersDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed May 02, 2007 1:50 pm

Dampin the toms?? YOU SPEAK MADNESS!! MADNESSSSSSS!
The only thing that can prevent you from acheving even the furthest goal, is doubt. Stay dedicated.
stump

Post Sun May 06, 2007 10:09 am

I use zero-rings on my top heads and moon gels on the bottom if I really want to dampen them out. The moon gels are very strudy and versatile.
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

drummernick
beginner
beginner

Post Tue May 22, 2007 8:42 am

well yes if you get very good at tuning it reduces the need for dampening but for me i need my toms dampened so i use remo muffles
hmmm, I love to bang things...
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Tue May 22, 2007 3:42 pm

the problem with dampening your toms is that a lot of people will think that you're doing it because you simply don't know how to tune them. (sadly, this is true for a lot of people who dampen their toms)
the trick is to have a set method for tuning, know what they should sound like without dampeners, then dampen them and try to get a muffled version of that sound. i use a piano because i can't stand having un-tuned toms.
Beat on.