Damping the toms?

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:21 am

pphunk wrote:personally i think if you have to dampen your toms, put tape on your cymbals or a pillow in your bass drum, you're using the wrong equipment. Of course not everyone has the money to buy the drums that sound best to their ears, so some sort of dampening/control is needed. Before i got my new snare i would use an o-ring to control the sound. Back when i had my old Tama Rockstar ('97) i would use kleenex and duct tape on my toms and cut up newspaper in my bass drum. I would never ever think of touching my cymbals with any kind of tape or dampening material. Just the thought of it makes me cringe.

I don't use any tape on my cymbals but there are going to be times when it will be done...like at a sound check for a national act where the Artist wanted the drummer to put some tape on the bottom side of the cymbal to get more "click" out of the cymbal and less sustain. I don't prefer muffling on any drums however, a wide open kick drum sound really isn't all that useful, according to Bob Gatzen as well as myself!
earldrum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:10 am

m wrote:I prefer not to dampen;
but when I have to, I use moongels.

I second the response above. Occassionally I use an "o-ring" or part of the "o-ring" on the snare drum made from an old drumhead. I perfer moon gel to any ring. I have used small 1" pieces of "duct-tape" in the past, but I like moon gel much better.

Another thing I do is cut the moon gel in half and only use half a piece in one spot. Usually the higher toms get half a piece of moon gel at 2:00. Where my 16" floor tom may get 2 - 3 half pieces of moon gel at 10:00, 2:00, & 6:00.

I use an Evan kick drum pillow and Emad head on the kick drum.

Dampening depends on the sound that I am going for and the room I am playing in. Moon gel makes dampening easier to change when needed.
Palryo
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:49 pm

i feel kinda stupid for asking this but would aquarian studio rings be considered dampening?
Lame cake is just as good as unlame cake
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:03 pm

There are plenty of ways to dampen the kit....I like the external mufflers if I have to use any muffling.

Having read some of the posts on this thread, I hate burst everyone's bubble, but there are going to be times when you will have muffle your drums or put some tape on the bottom side of the cymbal. At a sound check the other day, the Artist put tape on a the ride cymbal becaue he want more of a click to the sound than what he was hearing. This guy is a well-known, well-respected guitar player and more importantly, he's the guy writing the check which makes him the customer. He is also very particular about the sound he is wanting which is more organic. The snare sounds were very important to him as they should be.

Be prepared to be flexible; it isn't my job to tell the producer or engineer how to get the sound that they are looking for. It is my job to play the drums and give them what they are looking for.
andybfrank
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:23 am

I know how to tune my drums, alright! Sometimes I like a wide open sound and sometimes I like it choked off a bit, so I use rings. I would only use tape if I was desperate. I wouldn't use tape on my cymbals either. What's the point of that?
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:17 pm

if you tune your drums right, even with something like remo muff'ls you can get a warm, full sound.
Beat on.
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:49 pm

Palryo wrote:i feel kinda stupid for asking this but would aquarian studio rings be considered dampening?

Yes.
lukethebrahmin
new
new

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:24 pm

HEVY KEVY wrote: I use rings as an effect, not a crutch for bad tuning.

I agree with this one hundred percent. I always tune my toms without any dampening device. However sometimes while recording or on a certain song, it actually sounds BETTER to throw some rings on your toms and snare even.
MrMcFetus
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:30 am

I use moongel on all my drums excluding the bass. (I don't know why you would put moongel on a bass...) I occasionally take it off the snare if I'm playing swing. And I NEVER dampen cymbals...
Oh, and for my bass. I have the EMAD 2. So it doesn't need it =] Sounds excellent without it.
Tama.
Zildjian.
Vic Firth.
Remo.

92% of teens switch to rap. If you're in the 8% that don't, spread the word!
Drummersefton
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:47 am

I just use a paper towel and duck tape, still gets nice tone but no horrible boom!
Palryo
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:55 pm

skitch wrote:
Palryo wrote:i feel kinda stupid for asking this but would aquarian studio rings be considered dampening?

Yes.

oh, well that means i cant tune wortha a flip :cry:
Lame cake is just as good as unlame cake
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:01 am

Palryo wrote:
skitch wrote:

Yes.

oh, well that means i cant tune wortha a flip :cry:

That's okay - some people think I can't tune either! They usually play bass and sing lead voacls and try to run sound from the stage, argue with their wife who happens to be the singer and stupid enough to argue back inf ront of crowded room saying things you'd be embarassed for Howard Stern to hear! ANd the sad part is that this is not a fabricational or exageration!
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:03 am

andybfrank wrote:I know how to tune my drums, alright! Sometimes I like a wide open sound and sometimes I like it choked off a bit, so I use rings. I would only use tape if I was desperate. I wouldn't use tape on my cymbals either. What's the point of that?

To get more attack and less sustain out of a ride cymbal. This was done frequently in the 1970s and 1980s, mostly in the studio. But when an artist has a clear vision of what he needs, you bet I am going to do it! Hey, at least it isn't playing a set of Vdrums (over-rated)!
brian
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:27 am

i just tune my kit really low, the only dampening that i use is an emad head on my bass, but thats it
"Two of you sold my wallet,
one of you stole my tie.
Didn't you say that you're wathing?
Do or die!"

Dale Crover-
wanglegacy
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:01 pm

defiantly go with the moongel.
those things are miracle workers