What Kick pedal ?

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

The Heel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:31 am

I currently use a Pearl Eliminator, but am going to pick up a DW 9000 after borrowing one from a friend and WOWOWOWing over how smooth and natural it felt to me.

I have probably 8 pedals, including an Axis long board (Which to me was the most disapointing pedal I've ever purchased) and my trusty Speed King (Which I still use occasionally). I had an old Mapex pedal I loved but it broke on me and I havent fixed it yet. I also used a Janus Mapex pedal but I never really felt that comfortable with the toe stop features on it.

I go against the grain with Tama. I just think they feel sluggish to me. Maybe I've never had one set up right... but I've played a lot of them and never really liked the feel of it.

You cant go wrong with a Speedking besides the fact they want like 140 bucks for a new one. Pearl Eliminators are solid pedals that are fluid and smooth. But I'll take a 9000 over anything on the market right now. It was like an extension of my leg. I have never felt a pedal that felt so right... regardless of the $250 you have to drop on it.
murder_junkie_87
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:46 pm

at the momment im using gibraltar intruder II double kick pedal. its not the best but not the worst i have ever played on but it gets the job done.

im hoping with in the next year when ever i invest in a new kit, im hoping on getting a couple Axis long board pedals.
DRUM FAST, DIE.
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:24 pm

mattkinel wrote:I personally like the feel of the Ludwig Speed King.

I grew up on Speed Kings, I've owned at least a half-dozen of them. The feel is different because it has a compression spring instead of an open return spring. Of course there's no option for a double speed king, so I bought an Axis double, set it up next to the speed king and matched the geometry exactly and it feels pretty good.

BUT...

Trick makes the Pro 1V...
    Compression spring... CHECK
    Direct Drive... CHECK
    Infinitely Adjustable... CHECK
    EXPENSIVE... CHECK
    Worth it? DOUBLE CHECK

Not that looks count... but it looks like it should be in a jewelry store, and it's possibly the most adjustable pedal I've ever seen AND... Because it has that good 'ol compression spring, it can FEEL exactly like a speed king (For 6 times the price, but heck, everybody should have a double kick pedal that costs as much as a semi-pro drum kit)

Billet Aluminum and Titanium are expensive, but ya get what ya pay for.

Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:18 pm

I was thinkin' about gettin' one of thos Trick big foots. But they are VERY expensive. I'll just stick to my cobras for a next couple of years.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:26 am

Shalaq wrote:I was thinkin' about gettin' one of thos Trick big foots. But they are VERY expensive. I'll just stick to my cobras for a next couple of years.

I've got a Bigfoot coming, I'll let you know what I think of it in a couple weeks
koreanbeatdown91
new
new

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:24 am

i love the DW5000 they work great but my friend uses axis long bord adn they i think they work just as good
screamkevin

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:05 am

zen_drummer wrote:I've got a Bigfoot coming, I'll let you know what I think of it in a couple weeks

Zen, I officially hate you now. :wink:

I've wanted one of those since I first saw the ad, but there is no way that I can afford one. I'll stick to my IC Rolling Glide. Which is an outstanding pedal, by the way.

But I still hate you, Zen. :P
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
McWrath
new
new

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:52 am

IRON COBRA!!! They don't call it "A Legend In Innovation" for nothing. Quite a long time ago, when pedals as we know them looked fragile and broke alot, Tama came around and changed the entire playing field by designing the Iron Cobra, a pedal that boasted many of the drummer friendly features enjoyed by other pedal owners today...

Personally, when buying a high-end pedal, I believe that you're paying for durability and reliability. The "feel" of your pedal or how much "smoother" it is than others is based on your adjustments and playing style.

As long as drummers out there know that Tama is the reason behind whatever pedal they're playing, my job is done...

I play the Iron Cobra, but have thrown around the idea of playing a DW. Why? Just for "kicks"...
ytsejam1337
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:28 pm

Speed king. I love them, and it was my Dream pedal for a while when I first started...and now I'm using two of them with two bass drums...and I wouldn't have my kit any other way =D
FastEddie
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:58 pm

it's all in the style and comfort of the drummer. i have iron cobras and i love them but im saving up for axis long boards i loved them and thought they glided better than any petal.
wishing to be signed
Spydr2000
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:14 am

zen_drummer wrote:
mattkinel wrote:I personally like the feel of the Ludwig Speed King.

I grew up on Speed Kings, I've owned at least a half-dozen of them. The feel is different because it has a compression spring instead of an open return spring. Of course there's no option for a double speed king, so I bought an Axis double, set it up next to the speed king and matched the geometry exactly and it feels pretty good.

BUT...

Trick makes the Pro 1V...
    Compression spring... CHECK
    Direct Drive... CHECK
    Infinitely Adjustable... CHECK
    EXPENSIVE... CHECK
    Worth it? DOUBLE CHECK

Not that looks count... but it looks like it should be in a jewelry store, and it's possibly the most adjustable pedal I've ever seen AND... Because it has that good 'ol compression spring, it can FEEL exactly like a speed king (For 6 times the price, but heck, everybody should have a double kick pedal that costs as much as a semi-pro drum kit)

Billet Aluminum and Titanium are expensive, but ya get what ya pay for.

I tried this pedal and don't see why it cost so much. It didn't make me say wow I have to have one of these. I was sold on the Axis and DW 9000 which felt very smooth and quick. I would say its a cool looking pedal but didn't stand up to the price tag.