Will learning jazz make me a better rock drummer?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

sp4zium
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:53 pm

just to differ from everybody else here... playing jazz won't necessarily make you a better drummer. just like driving in nascar for a long time then trying to drift... sure drifting might help you on the daytona 500 or whatnot, but it's unlikely. Odd are it will influence your drumming, but that doesn't necessarily make it better for your personal tastes/needs/likes.

However, that is not really my opinion, just the other side of the coin.

my real opinion is YES playing different variations on the same instrument will make you unbelievably better. when i first started drumming i thought i was "too cool for jazz" and thought i was badass when i could play stuff like 'back in black' and 'stairway to heaven.'

but as soon as my teacher broke out material other than rock, i was at a complete loss. I had no idea how to even begin a samba, mambo, membe, etc etc... but once i studied that stuff, it made rock almost seem like a joke by comparison, so whenever i play with my rock band I blow them, (and the crowds), away with material they had never seen before at a rock show. but then again, some people do the same with straight-up creativity. (i credit jazz)

so all in all, i just recommend branching out and creating your own personal 'style' that will set you apart from the masses.
www.myspace.com/pintosquared
a quick look into my mind.
drumjo7182
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:30 pm

it always helps to study different types of music, it helps you really understand your instrument and makes you a better musician
Mikkey
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:49 am

Not necessarily, but you should learn jazz drumming anyway. The more styles you can add to your profile the better. For a while I played a lot of backing hip-hop stuff and I suprised myself how much it helped me with my classic rock stuff.
SilentDrummer
new
new

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:29 am

I don't think learning jazz will make you a better ROCK drummer.
It will just make you a better drummer.
Like everything else that is studying a genre you didn't play, or you didn't know.
Everything that makes you grow, makes you a better drummer.
Dediction leads to Perfection
CASCINAIDRUMS
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:04 pm

Yes go for it and learn as much as you can and don't stop for nobody
hxc_adie
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:15 pm

well its not realli a must, but its helped me alot. unless you play everyday and have awesome independence, itll help with independence alot. for me, its helped a bunch and taught me not to necessarilly play from the bottom up but from the top down. idk its not necessary, but its a good thing to know.
save a drum; bang a drummer
mlumpkin13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:21 pm

Learning jazz will make you abetter any kind of drummer.
Tama Drums and Hardware, Sabian AAX Cymbals, Remo Heads, & Pro-Mark Sticks