Orange County Percussion

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:07 pm

Are they worth the price?
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
mags
new
new

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:38 am

FOR SURE!! hands down, easily worth the price
Berk
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:42 am

NO. NOT AT ALL.

Like 5000.00 For a 4 peice with basic sizes.

www.conawaydrums.com
www.myspace.com/gymclassloser
www.musicianforums.com

"Have Another Drink And Drive Yourself Home, And You Can Think Of Me When You Forget Your Seatbelt".
drummert2k

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:13 pm

Orange county drums are incredible and worth a nice chunk of change, but your still paying a lot just for the name and the finishes and hardware options and colors they offer. That being said, if i had the money I'd still probably buy one cause they do look really friggin amazing and sound incredible
Damian_Arletto
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:49 pm

Yes there are worth the money. A Ferrari is worth the money too. It all depends on what sound you want and how much you are willing to pay. My drums list out at $17,000.00 (drums only.) I didnt pay anywhere near that though. Go to the factory not a retail store.
Hit it hard. Hit it fast and beat it like you own it.
http://www.myspace.com/janesdamian
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:28 pm

no way would i pay for ocdp drums. i am of firm belief that they cannot be worth what they charge since many other companies use the same shells and have better hardware with ewual finishes for much less.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:24 pm

Yea, honestly I would probably never be able to afford a OCP kit. If I could though, I would shell out the cash for one. But for my next kit I think I'm going to go with DW.

Pacific CX Series kit
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
messeduplefty
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:58 pm

These exotics are crap unless they are tuned correctly. Hopefully, whoever has the $$$ to pay for them can tune them properly (most likely they'd have a drum tech do it). Just like any exotic car. It only runs well if it's taken care of well. Their are many post about the difficulties of tuning DW drums. I'm sure OCDP will be the same.
Chirs-Ska-Drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:34 pm

ocdp is CRAP! they use the same shells and lugs and hardware as EVERY other custom place. and take 9MOUNTHS OR MORE!!! and cost ALOT more. i got a custom kit SAME SHELLS AND EDGES AND LUGS AND HARDWEAR AS OCDP. id it cost 15% of the ocdp cost. and i got it in 2 weeks
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:47 pm

I figured their shells couldn't be THAT special. I've seen a lot of big name drummers use them but I've heard pearls, tamas, and what have you, and I see any huge difference... Other than the price.

Pacific CX Series kit
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
BJGOV
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:35 am

Let me just reiterate the message here: No way are they worth what they charge. This is coming from someone who still owns one (I'm looking to sell them, by the way:D ) and they totally aren't worth the money.

I was a dumb teenager attracted to the lure of the name, OCDP. I was way into Travis Barker and Chad Sexton and I absolutey had to have a set of them. This was in 2000, before they completely escalated. I worked at a pool and at Blockbuster an entire summer to save up the almost $3,000 this was going to cost me. I ordered them through a local drumshop and it only took them a couple of months to arrive: a little less time than today.

I got a 18 x 22, 8 x 10, 11 x 14 and a vented, 20-ply 6 x 14 snare drum. To be fair the drums did sound great. The snare was what I wanted at the time: loud, loud, and loud with a lot of crack. But if I knew the problems that thing would give me, I would've never bought it.

The snare drum is the only drum I had a problem out of, construction wise. OCDP used these weak, Baltimore lugs on it, and because it was such a thick drum, the screws fastening the lugs to the drum had to be a little longer. Well, that made them weaker, and after playing at normal head tension for a while, a lug would snap off of the drum. This happened so often that the drum shop that I ordered them from actually had a tray full of those lugs they would give to me.

The other drums performed great, but the shoddy hardware on the snare drum just pissed me off.
Shaggy
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:21 pm

Yeah, the thing with OCDP, they use Keller shells. Keller makes drum shells for like 20 different companies. Some of these include Spaun, OCDP, GMS, SJC, the list goes on...However, these are very decent drum shells. In my opinion you do pay way too much for OCDP, even if they look bitching. Almost all custom drum companies use Keller shells. Brands like Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, they all make their own shells using different processes. In my opinion, that's way more custom. I have nothing against custom drum companies though.
JLoubs34
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:13 am

If you've played them before, you know they're worth the money, but again thats only if you're going for a certain sound. I get a good rock sound from my DW fast toms, but the OC kits outperform them still.
Jiggarelli
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:06 am

The snare drum is the only drum I had a problem out of, construction wise. OCDP used these weak, Baltimore lugs on it, and because it was such a thick drum, the screws fastening the lugs to the drum had to be a little longer. Well, that made them weaker, and after playing at normal head tension for a while, a lug would snap off of the drum. This happened so often that the drum shop that I ordered them from actually had a tray full of those lugs they would give to me.

The other drums performed great, but the shoddy hardware on the snare drum just pissed me off. - - -
------------------------
Can't help but agree with you there. I've repaired more of them than I've played! A custom drumset is a custom drumset. A keller shell is a keller shell. It's about the bearing edges and finish options at that price point. I can speak from ownig all types of drumsets that in the custom market Spaun and Pork Pie are the leaders, with craftsmanship and quality hardware being a huge partof what they strive for. Brian Spauns lgs are solid brass!!! I can tell you this, I can have any drumkit I want and I play a Sonor Designer kit and have just ordered my second Spaun kit. I know Brian Spaun well, and consider him to be the best custom shop in America. I love Bill Detemore's concepts at Pork Pie, and love the sound his drums acheive, and allthough he was a big part of the original Starclassic desighn team, I feel as though Brian is more innovative. I still feel as though we're comparing apples to apples.
Please, carefully consider what company you choose, and remember the shops where you can call the owner and talk drums id probably where you want to buy. Also I've found better sounds from older DW kits before they started to make there own shells.
Jayson Asbury
For information regarding the products that I endorse please visit me on the web or on myspace @ www.myspace.com/jaysonasburydrummer
& @ www.jaysonasbury.com
Stick It!
Pork Sword
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:59 am

*edit* to reinforce the point made above me....Bill @ Porkpie's kits are amazing, I am in the process of ordering one myself.

I don't think they are worth the cash in the least...I've played a few of the sets & the snares...neither of which impressed me all that much....If it's a boutique drumset you are after...give Pork Pie a solid look, his drums sound amazing & are the some of the warmest drums I have ever played. If you are going to drop that kind of cash, PLEASE look into a Brady kit as well...at least you'll get some unique woods and tones from their stuff....my Brady 7 x 14 Jarrah snare is one of the nicest snare drums I have ever heard (I may be a tad biased...but it's the general consensous whenever someone plays it).
"as your attorney, I advise you to drive at top speed & it'll be a goddamn miracle if we can get there before you turn into a wild animal!!....30 minutes, it was going to be very close."